Dominican In Fla Politics

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
An interesting article about a Dominican woman in Miami running for the Florida State Legislature

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/issues/2004-02-12/metro.html/1/index.html

Actually a very one-side article even by New Times Standards.
All they do is talk about her opponents alleged improprieties yet they do not even give one line to what this womans platform is. I doubt if she even has one!
Did anyone else notice that she also is using the offices of this "Not For Profit" organization, The Hispanic Coalition, for her own campaign? A Organization funded in large part with public tax money? She must have Hippo as a campaign Manager! Well this Republican has already made a few phone calls!

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Yea, just imagine that. A Dominican up against the Cuban Mafia in Miami.

She doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell, even if she kissed Hipolito's AND Jeb Bush's asses, and it really doesn't matter what her stands are on ANY of the issues, just like here in the DR.

And, it also looks like her opponent is just like any of the politicians here- have several government jobs, do very little, but collect all of the checks because hey, my kids have to eat too, right?

I hate all politicians, Tony C, not just yours OK?

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
GringoCArlos said:
Yea, just imagine that. A Dominican up against the Cuban Mafia in Miami.
Cuban Mafia huh? How old and tired is that phrase?
She is running in a district that is 74% Cuban and 68% Republican. Face facts. The only reason she is running is to get press for her organization which she hopes to convert into more money.
GringoCArlos said:
I hate all politicians, Tony C, not just yours OK?
Do you vote? If you do vote then you have given approval to someone you claim to hate. If you don't vote then just shut up!
So which is it?

jorge_33

May 27, 2003
Tony C, don't be defensive.
Cuban Mafia??? Don't take personal, but in Miami most hispanic politicians are really crooks. (furtunately or unfurtunately, most of the elected politicians are/were Cubans--pero ese tema es relativo).
Of course there is a mafia, ONLY in MIAMI!!...Cubans or not
we really look bad to the rest of the USA. Let's not talk about California, the Mexican Americans are doing an exellent job making look us bad. WE, (latinos) for nature cannot be honest. (if don't belive me, take a look at the rest of the Latin American countries).

Don't take me wrong, there are good politicians that are doing a great JOB and they are stealing less than any other politician.

Miami is changing a lot averyday, and is not the "pueblo" that it used to be 15-20 years ago, and there is room for everyone. But as you said, only the ones that vote have the power of chose the future.

Regards,

Jorge

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Tony C, I voted with my FEET and left my country of birth for another country where I thought things would be better for ME, just like your family once did.

As far as shutting up, neither you nor John Ashcroft nor Hipolito Mejia can make me shut up.

As far as the Dominicana running as a Democrat in a Cuban Republican district in Florida, she is probably trying to change the status quo that exists in her district. Looking for Money? Come on, what the hell is the guy in power there doing, with 3 other jobs his Cuban Republican pals "awarded " him. Sounds just like a DR No-bid job to me.

Last edited:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
What the other guy has done or is doing is not the issue here. The New Times just loves to bash anything or anyone that is Cuban or not Left of Marx.

The Issue is that this Dominican Woman is running without a platform and using office space that is publically funded as a campaign headquaters.

By the way Rep. Arza has been cleared of any wrong doing by both a Federal and County Grand Jury and the Campaign Ethics Committee. That said I am no fan of Arza. He is a "RhINO"(Republican In Name Only)