salary

chica

Feb 9, 2004
I have some questions after reading a revieuw on an other site.
There told some people that waiters only earn 8 dollar a week in a riu hotel.

Is that possible?

What is then a salary for

Animation member

Receptionworker

Waither in restaurant

Maitre d'hotel

I just wondering .

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Salaries not high compared to what is paid where you live, but US$8/week sounds too low.

Salaries for most Dominicans have not kept pace with inflation/decline in value of the peso. Most are struggling these days as prices in supermarket rise. But just having a job puts them in the fortunate class.

chica

Feb 9, 2004
Thanks Ken,

I taught so 8 dollar is to less.
I was thinking about 100 dollar a month for waiters
And 200 dollar for animation staff.

Dont have any idea about reception members are other staff.
Do you have any idea?

I hope when people read thi they gonna see how inportent it's to tip the workers in resorts.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
When staying at the Rui Bachata, we asked the girl looking after the children(who also did animation) and she sais she made $4000 pesos a month for 10-12 hour days. After talking to several of the animation guys, this seemed to be the average salary. My wife tells me that most teachers make 8-12 K pesos a month. There are many people surviving on less than 2000 pesos per month.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Members of the group you mentioned will give you a false reply..

..if you ask how much any of them make! They are trying to get just the response they got from you."Please tip me a lot,cause I make almost no money working here!"
Are they held captive at the resort??? I doubt it! I tip the maid at a resort,and the guy who carries our suitcases,a waitress if he or she shows some effort to help out! No one else!
Large tipping only shows that you are not very "Worldly.I find it condesending",makes you look like an easy "mark"!No body "tips" me,and I am underpaid! Cris Colon

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Criss Colon said:
..if you ask how much any of them make! They are trying to get just the response they got from you."Please tip me a lot,cause I make almost no money working here!"

My wife remember is Dominican, no dummy, and knows what people get paid in the DR. these workers were not trying to scam her. We only tipped the waiter(he was very attentive) and the maid. Since we didn't need a babysitter or have any reason to tip the animation guys, we didn't. Yris can smell a scam a mile away. She employs 40 people, so she heard it all.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My post was directed to "Chica"!

Cris Colon: :bunny: :bunny:
Not meant to disturb you!I just find it counter productive to tip or over tip when it is not deserved.Not just here,but everywhere in the World! I loved New Zealand.There is a huge sign as you enter the customs area at the airport:"We earn a living wage in New Zealand,we neither encourage or accept tips"!!!I tried to tip the cab driver,he turned me down!!! Tom

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
When I was bartending here I made $3300 pesos a month plus they split the 10% tip on all the checks between everyone that worked in the place, including managment. Our daily tips were split between everyone working that day. It ws an average of about $7000 mensual. And our resturant was not that busy.
Even when I was a waitress in USA the minimum wage was under $3usd an hour. That was enough to pay taxes and insurance. I lived on my tips. Which was alot more than the tips here for sure!
Somehow it doesn't seem fair that employees rely on the cutomer to pay the wages of servers in a resturant. Rhwy can get by with paying them less and expect the customer to supply the income for their employees. And it is NOT easy work.

blong

Sep 30, 2003
Generally speaking I hate tipping

I wish everywhere the world over had a living wage. I live in NY and everyone wants a tip (building super, waiters, cab drivers, bartenders, coffee baristers, sandwich makers, doormen, and on and on). It never ends and the worst part is that there is no appreciation of a tip because it is expected. I have seen waiters at respectable restaurants chase after patrons on the street to scold them for not leaving enough of a tip.

I remember years back visiting a friend in Denmark and I was amazed that no one even wanted a tip. My friend there told me it was because everyone there had health care coverage and a decent salary. When I asked her why the service people would provide good service without the added incentive of a tip, she said because it is their job that they are paid to do. What a concept!! Of course the income tax there is something around 50%!

Anyway in DR, my wife would scold me for tipping people, told me it wasn't necessary. Made me something of a rube.