bringing a computer to the DR

mdale

Feb 15, 2004
I'll be moving my family to the DR in the coming months, and have read online that customs regulations require that computer hardware coming into the country is subject to duty. Does this include older computers? (I have receipts) Anyone have any knowledge/experience with this?
Thanks, M

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Computers aren't supposed to be subject to taxes although they might have to pay a little bit under some law or other if you are having it shipped in. If you bring it on the plane with you, you should be just fine. Maybe someone will fill you in on the legal details better.

trt

Feb 3, 2004
My understanding is that computer equipment is one of the few things that aren't subject to duty. We brought a two-year-old laptop and some older, miscellaneous computer equipment with us on the plane when we moved here, and didn't have to pay anything. (well, other than a few pesos to a guy who "helped" us and our nine giant suitcases get through customs without paying any duty...)

JOHNQ

Dec 11, 2003
My Wife Shipped My Lap Top Via Fed Ex On The 24th Of January From The U.s. She Paid About $150 For Second Day Delivery. This Past Friday I Get A Call From Fed Ex Here In Santo Domingo, Telling Me That I Need To Come Up With 23,500 Pesos To Get My Lap Top. Thats About $500 Dollars. I'm Having Them Ship It Back To The U.s. For $50, Which Is 10% Of The Cost To Get It Out Of Customs. My Wife Is Coming Next Month She Could Use The Rest To Buy Air Fare.

Ant

Feb 1, 2002
Bringing a Computer to the DR

I brought my computer to Santo Domingo on January 31 and didn't have a problem at all. I packed my desktop and put it in my luggage. It was a little shaken up but arrived just fine. When I went through customs and had my luggage scanned, I was called over and they started opening my luggage. When I told them it was a computer they double-checked on the monitor and let me through without a problem. Hope this helps.

claudius_2k

Apr 10, 2003
computers and computer parts are listed as tax free in the EPS page, I used EPS and BM to buy a lot of computer parts in USA and never paid anything.

but really never paid anything, computer or not

regards