Arod

Arod will sign with the Yankees tomorrow. The Boston Red Sox couldn't pull off a deal for Alex Rodriguez, and now the American League's Most Valuable Player is headed to the arch-rival New York Yankees.

The Texas Rangers have agreed to send Rodriguez to the Yankees for second baseman Alfonso Soriano and a player to be named later, Sports Illustrated's Tom Verducci confirmed Saturday. Some contract details remain to be worked out, but a baseball source told Verducci no problems are expected.

read it

? Hlywud

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
A-Rod will play 3rd, because my former Red Error Boone didn't have enuff sense to not play basketball in the off season. IDIOT! Left $5 million on the table for a pick-up game.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Somebody call "Cleef" to see if he killed himself!!!!

SinceI gave up on the "Sox" many years ago,I can just smile and shake my head! Cris Colon :disappoin

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
Stupid link

:angry: OK, you need to do it manually after getting to the onion. Right side of masthead is the archive link, click on it, and off you go.

nystateofmind

Aug 6, 2003
A Rod

If Bud Selig had any bal-s, he would void the deal. The Yankees 2004 payroll will now be more than the combined payrolls at the start of last season of 5 teams - Marlins,Brewers,Tigers,Royals and Expos! All five do not add up to the Yankees this year. That is crazy.

They will not win the World Series because their pitching staff remains a giant question mark.

Yes I am a Mets fan....can't you tell??????

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
I said it before...I'll say it again!

I posted this on another thread..but it applies!!! I HATE THE YANKEES!!! :angry:

He could be Dominican-American...but he would never play for anyone if Mr. Steinbrenner doesn't authorize it first...now that he owns him!!!

A-ROD IS OFFICALLY A YANKEE!!

I hate them more than ever...

He (the devil himself!) did it on purpose...so the Sox wouldn't get him...

In my belief MLB had something to do with not approving the sale of A-Rod to the Sox...maybe money from Steinbrenner???

Now I would LOVE to see the prima-donnas (Jeter, A-Rod) fighting over magazine covers!!!

Spring training only 4 days away, baby!!! I love this time of year!!!

THE FLORIDA MARLINS...HAVE ONE OF THE BEST YOUNG PITCHING STAFF IN ALL OF MLB!!!

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Why should Selig have voided the deal? Why do you blame the Yankees?? The Yankees did absolutely nothing wrong here. Boston and the Mets had their crack at A-Rod BEFORE the Yankees even thought about signing him. Boston in particular HAD to sign A-ROD but they let 12 million dollars get in the way. Either Boston or the Mets could have scooped A-ROD weeks ago but failed to make the deal. We began to look at A-ROD only AFTER our 3rd baseman Aaron Boone tore his knee a couple of weeks ago playing basketball and is now out for the season. Suddenly, we were in the market for a 3rd baseman and through some brilliant negotiating on General Steinbrenners part, we landed A-ROD as our new third baseman and at the same time, again brilliantly, only increased our payroll by about 750 thousand dollars.

You have to hand it to General Steinbrenner, aside from the Babe Ruth trade, this is the trade of the century. Congratulations to Gen. Steinbrenner, A-ROD and the New York Yankees.

Larry

blong

Sep 30, 2003
This trade was not just about money

I agree with Larry.
Yes the Yankees had the ability moneywise to make the deal but they are not alone in deep pockets. The Red Sox and Mets both could have afforded A-Rod but didn't get it done.

BTW - I hate having to subsidize the rest of MLB when I go to Yankee stadium. The Yankees pay out around $60 million to MLB to compensate the teams in crappy cities. New York should have more money to spend on its teams because we cram 10 or 12 million people into a tight space here. We actually go to the games (novel concept to others), we watch the games on tv which generates huge tv contracts and revenues. If everything was equal then it wouldn't make a difference if a team played in New York or North Dakota. I could live in ND watch great baseball and not have to jam myself into an overcrowded subway car to do it. That would be a nice deal for me.

OK get it? if you want more money for your team, go to the damn games, buy the merchandise, watch them on tv and get 10 million of your friends to do the same. Or wait for me and my buddies to go to a game and buy and extra hotdog so that we can send some revenue over to you.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Blong is right

Most fans have no concept of how the yankees are forced to subsidize other teams and about luxury tax issues, etc..I also agree that the Yankee orginization generates far more money than say, the Blue Jays do. As a result, they have and rightly so, more money to throw around. It is a cycle that enables the yankees to buy more talent,win, and generate more money. HOWEVER, this does not apply in this case. Steinbrenner and co. were brilliant in this case. They did not have to BUY A-rod. He is costing them less than 1 million dollars per year more having him on their team than it did not having him on their team. Anyone who wants to dispute this should do a little research on the structure of A-Rods contract and how much of it Texas has to eat before they respond.
Larry

blong

Sep 30, 2003
Thank you Larry.

I am amazed that a good game at the stadium (say the Red Sox in July) is sold out at the end of the first day of ticket sales in December. BUT a fan in Atlanta can see the Braves play in the World Series by purchasing a ticket the day of the game!!!! Even then the playoffs don't sell out in Atlanta.

Situations like that and people complain about the Yankees. I just don't understand how you can hate an organization like the Yankees that tries so hard for its fans to put a winning team on the field.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Money can't "Buy" a World Series Winner!

The "Marlins" and the "As" showed us that $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ aren'y everything!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC :smoke:

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
The A's??? You mean the team that just lost Miguel Tejada because they could not afford him or the team that lost Giambi because they could not afford him?

Unless of course you mean the Angels, who by luck won the series two years ago, went into the crapper last year and now have the 3rd largest payroll in baseball.
Either way, the Marlins and Angels are the exception to the rule.

blong

Sep 30, 2003
So the bottom line is that if your city can't or won't support your team then just have the New York fans support its two teams AND yours.

Because it is everyone's right to have a team in their hometown.

Welcome home A Rod.

leo_DR

Dec 8, 2003
www.geocities.com
Sort of off/but somewhat on the topic:

I overheard a New Yorican saying that Alex was Puerto Rican. I told him that he was Dominican and he didn't believe me...until I showed him an article stating his background.

Geez.

Leo_DR