newbe needs direction (Real Estate)

Joah

Feb 15, 2004
newbe needs direction

Hi to all,

First, I would like to take a minute to thank the providers of this website and all those members who have kindly posted so much valuable information here.

I am expecting to move and purchase a home on the North Coast of the DR within the next month or two. I want to know if the area east of Cabrete will provide a less tourist-like atmosphere. Pros? - Cons?

Thank You,

Joah

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Joah said:
Hi to all,

First, I would like to take a minute to thank the providers of this website and all those members who have kindly posted so much valuable information here.

I am expecting to move and purchase a home on the North Coast of the DR within the next month or two. I want to know if the area east of Cabrete will provide a less tourist-like atmosphere. Pros? - Cons?

Thank You,

Joah

How far east? Give us an exact location and we will give you an exact answer.

Joah

Feb 15, 2004
Robert said:
How far east? Give us an exact location and we will give you an exact answer.

Oops! That would be helpful....

I was considering following areas to choose from:

Rio San Juan
Playa Grande
Catalinas

Joah

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Joah said:
Oops! That would be helpful....

I was considering following areas to choose from:

Rio San Juan
Playa Grande
Catalinas

Joah

Yes it will be less touristy than Sosua/Cabarete.
How much time have you spent in and around those areas?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
My wife and I lived in Samana for a number of years. It is much less touristy there than in Sosua, where we now live. But, though we like Samana and the people there, we much prefer life in Sosua. Here we have much easier access to good supermarkets, medical and dental services, social interaction with people with common interests (especially important for my wife), faster computer service, etc., etc.

Though there are a number of busy hotels in Sosua, we have little interaction with the tourists other than seeing them on the streets. We live right in town, but our neighborhood is extremely quiet. I'm sure the same can be said for the many residential communities outside of town.

I think you may need to spend more time in each of the areas you are considering before making your decision. And if this home is to be more than a place for occasional visits, be sure to consider the services that are necessary today and in the future.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Joah,
I, along with MANY others, have said it many times before - DON'T BUY UNTIL YOU HAVE LIVED HERE A WHILE!!! There are far too many pitfalls for you to fall in to & as a "Newbie" you won't see what is coming until it is too late!! Get to know a REALLY TRUSTWORTHY lawyer who will represent YOUR interests only (this is the norm in most countries but NOT here!!) before you go down the buying route!!

If you have not already done so, visit the archives on this subject (buying property/house) where it is recommended that you rent for at least a few months so that you can become used to the culture of the country AND find the best area/deal for your requirements.

I live in the Puerto Plata area & love it. Out of Playa Dorada we are not too tourist orientated - honest. Any help you want in this area, just drop me an e-mail or PM!! - Grahame.