Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cellphone service

My husband and I are bringing a cellphone to a friend in Puerto Plata. It is a Nextel phone that used to have AT+T service. What service providers are available in this area? Would he be able to get this phone activated in Puerto Plata? Thanks for any imput.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The main service providers in Puerto Plata are Codetel (now Verizon) and Orange.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

OK... there are 2 Digital phone systems used here:

CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) wich in different stages of development, is used in this country by VERIZON, CENTENNIAL and TRICOM.

And GSM (Global System for Mobile) wich is used by Orange, and it's an older technology, but more developed.

If your phone uses a "SIM" chip, it's a GSM phone, if not it's a CDMA phone... either one can be used here.

Both Verizon and Centennial offer 3G technology... Verizon's much better overall... you can connect to the internet via mobile... even DSL.

There is also nation-wide ANALOG network from the old days... but pretty handy when you are somewhere deep withing the island, using a dual band phone.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! We are bringing supplies to the schools and orphanages in Puerto Plata in March. Will this be a problem in customs?

TiberiusMineola

Thumbs up Orange - GSM chip

I had & have a similar problem. I want to buy a Handsrping Treo 270 cell phone; very popular in the States, but not sold in the DR?? I was told by Codetel that no Codetel local service is avialble for this brand. I went to the Orange kiosk at the Caribe' Tours bus treminal, POP; the salesman told me there would be no problem; the neeeded chip could be installed @ the Orange POP booth for 350 Pesos [@ US 5.00 at the moment]. 5 - 6 different wireless plans are available from Orange. I hope that this helps.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best to check

AT & T is TDMA, I think. If so, it cannot be activated here. You might want to double check that. I am fairly sure, however, since someone I know brought an AT & T phone to a friend, who was unable to get it activated.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

"disciplemckie" if you give us the model of the model we can guide you better!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, ok, I had the wrong model. The phones are both Nokia. One is model 3285ATV and the other is 5165. Does that help?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 5165 is wrong type for DR

Quote Originally Posted by disciplemckie
    One is model 3285ATV and the other is 5165.
    The 5165 is TDMA which is incompatible with any of the wireless service providers in the DR, but the 3285 is CDMA (Codetel and one other provider, I believe?). I don't know what the ATV suffix stands for though.
    Last edited by Festero; 02-20-2004 at 01:47 AM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!