where to post re: bad contractors/ Cabarete??

Jaycee

Feb 16, 2004
After having the fun experience of dealing with many dominican contractors to construct my home and learning that most contractors play games with all foreigners, where would I post a warning to newbies about several unscrupulous ones in the Cabarete/Sosua area?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Jaycee said:
After having the fun experience of dealing with many dominican contractors to construct my home and learning that most contractors play games with all foreigners, where would I post a warning to newbies about several unscrupulous ones in the Cabarete/Sosua area?

Right here in the Living forum, go for it!

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Hey Jaycee, Is Dionicio one of them?

If so, don't walk............RUN. He'll take your $ and you will never see him again.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
I don't know about that phone # but.......

.....he never answers his phone anyway. His name is Dionicio Ramirez.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Where can we post a listing for an amazing contractor who can get everything and anything done on house and has not once screwed anyone over - but at times it feels as though he is selling himself too cheap.

If you need one in Puerto Plata/Costambar - let me know.

Jaycee

Feb 16, 2004
FYI: check references and dont use Home Decor of Sosua

Robert said:
Right here in the Living forum, go for it!

Make sure you really really really check out references before you give your standard 50% deposit for any work you are going to have done... There is a well known game that is hard to escape and if you are lucky you will receive what you asked for and if you are really lucky you won't have a hassle but many people have had nothing show up for their money and many more get the item delivered and never see the workmen again to install, complete or finish.

Don't use Juan Miran da of Sosua. He is a smooth talker who will never bring you what he promised, when it was promised or for the amount discussed. Ask any developer, condo manager or foreign local of Cabarete or Sosua to confirm this. I did not and am still waiting for what was promised.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
A.J. said:
Where can we post a listing for an amazing contractor who can get everything and anything done on house and has not once screwed anyone over - but at times it feels as though he is selling himself too cheap.
If you need one in Puerto Plata/Costambar - let me know.
I have gotten tired of playing general contractor myself. I would like someone who knows what he'sdoing to arrange for the tile, windows, doors, shelves, metalwork, etc.for my new office. Send him my way, if he gives estimates.

One thing I have found here is that everyone, but Dominicans especially do a good job the first time, not bad second or third, after that they think they got you and the service level drops, and sucks! You have to continually go out and find new people to keep the quality up.

Tom aka XR Middle age is when broadness of the mind and narrowness of the waist change places.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Do as I did!!!

Jaycee said:
Make sure you really really really check out references before you give your standard 50% deposit for any work you are going to have done... There is a well known game that is hard to escape and if you are lucky you will receive what you asked for and if you are really lucky you won't have a hassle but many people have had nothing show up for their money and many more get the item delivered and never see the workmen again to install, complete or finish.

Don't use Juan Miran da of Sosua. He is a smooth talker who will never bring you what he promised, when it was promised or for the amount discussed. Ask any developer, condo manager or foreign local of Cabarete or Sosua to confirm this. I did not and am still waiting for what was promised.
I know how you feel. They promise and promise in order to gain your trust and then those jack axes would change after they get your money. Sometimes you have to go down to their level and treat them the same way they are trying to treat you, you just have to do it diplomaticly. The contractor that fixed my house last June, seemed like the perfect candidate to do a job well done. Recomended by a friend of mine. The guy spoke to me over the phone like I was his brother, not knowing that I know of some contractor's reputation in the DR and that for every "amigo, you will be so happy with my work, I will treat you like if you were my brother", I was thinking " ax, you will not take advantage of me, not in this life". The more he sweet-talked to me, the more I was planning of what to do so he would not take me for a ride. He gave me an estimate which I thought that it was great, since I live here, I had my business partner look at the work that he was doing and the progress. She took him to my lawyer and he was hesitant in signing a contract that estated that he would only get 30% up front and the rest after the job was done. The contract also estated that I would not give him any more money for any things that he needed to buy. He was to use the 30% to buy whatever he needed to buy. He cried wolf but after talking with me and me promising him that " I will treat you as my brother, you will be happy with me", he signed the contract. It became a nightmare, the guy wanted money almost every day. He would stop working on he house. He would curse my business partner and call me all the names in the book because I would not send him money. Then he told me that he mis-calculated the figures and that everything was going up and that the price would be DR $25,000 more. And me, being a "tigere" from New York, would tell him: " hermano, that is out of the question but we are like brothers and I will take care of you". When he was 75% done, I sent him 20% more just to keep him happy and told him point blank that I would deliver the other 50% myself and only after the job was finished. The calls never stopped, he needed money almost daily and would drive Mayra and I crazy with his demands. The jack would even threaten to take down all he did. And all the time I was " hermano, all will be fine". Since my business partner(Mayra) was overlooking all his work, everyday, he would complain and complain that I was an ax and that he needed money. He even told her that if I did not give him the extra DR $ 20,000, that he would hurt me. The job was finished and I left to SD to see the work and pay him his 50%, but before I got to my house, I called my lawyer and told him that I would pick him up at his house and sice he said that he would hurt me, I called one of my father's childhood friend that his son is in command of the policia nacional and happens to be one of my brother's best friend. He knew of the situation and waited for me to pick him up at his home, and he was already waiting for me with about 10 policias. So off we went to pay this guy. I went in my house with only my lawyer and my brother's best friend (although he did see that 3 police jeepetas full of police officer), sat with him, introduced him to my friend and when he asked about the police outside, I told him that he threatened me and that I did not know of what he was capable of. I told him to forget the 20,000 and that he would not take advatage of me. He tried to argue with me and at the end he left with his tail up his ax. After the fact I found out that he is used to taking advantage of people all the time. That he would change prices and demand money all the time and was known to truly break all that work that he had done just to prove a point and then leave. I just gave him a little of his own medicine and did not let him take me for a ride. When they are sweet-talking you, right there is the moment that you can have your ways with them. Let them think that you believe all his words and then hit them with the signing YOUR contract. If they say no, tell him that you would look for someone else and you will see how fast he will sign. All the time that this sweet-talking was trying to be my best friend, I was thinking about the other sweet-talker that took my aunt for a ride and charged her 18,000 more than what he estimated. Give them a piece of their own medicine. It really feels GOODDDD. Real GOOODDDDDDDDDDDD

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Juan Miranda

Jaycee said:

I second the motion. He might even get first prize in this contest ! ! !