Is A-Rod Dominican or American?

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Now that A-Rod is in the news I would like to know what people think will happen when in 2005 the first baseball "World-cup" is held.

Will A-Rod play for the USA or the Dominican team?

Kaylie1

Jun 17, 2002
Arod is American. He was born in New York to Dominican parents. He lived there until he was 2, then moved to the DR for a few years, then to Miami so my guess is he'd play for the US team.

Narcosis said:
Now that A-Rod is in the news I would like to know what people think will happen when in 2005 the first baseball "World-cup" is held.

Will A-Rod play for the USA or the Dominican team?

Dominican Tony

Feb 16, 2004
A-Rod will most likely play for the Dominican team, he has mentioned several times his love for the D.R. and will never forget his roots.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Not unlike some of us, Alex is bicultural. That however does not mean that he can choose his official nationality. He honestly loves the DR as the home of his ancestors, but he would ultimately have to play for the U.S. team, the nation of his birth and his true home. And this, of course, should not make him any less of a criollo in the hearts of Dominican baseball fans. Technically though, fans in the DR can't have their cake and eat it too. Punto.
-Tordok

minerran

Oct 16, 2003
Finally, a baseball discussion!

Greetings!

Thank God somebody wants to talk baseball - its about time.

This is the first I've heard about this "world cup" of ball. I only found the following link:

http://www.slam.ca/Slam021107/col_gross-sun.html

From what it says, this idea is still being discussed and is not yet definite. Do you all agree? Is there a better link on this?

Since Alex Rodriguez plays here in the U.S. (moving to Yankees as you all know), would the "world cup" rules even allow him to play for D.R. if he wanted? What would the rules be for this series on the player selection process?

regards,

Randy

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
The reason for the debate is because the USA now allows it's citizens to hold dual nationality with the D.R.

Since Dominicans are granted nationality based on parents being Dominican nationals, A-rod has dual nationality.

My point is the if the world-cup is to be held, MLB should be flexible with a nationality rule.

Since the USA is the top market for baseball players, it is logical players from all over the world will try to play at the pro level there, but for a world-cup to be a success MLB should encourage guys like A-rod to play for their "heritage nation". It will be good for the game.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Not a chance...

He could be Dominican-American...but he would never play for anyone if Mr. Steinbrenner doesn't authorize it first...now that he owns him!!!

A-ROD IS OFFICALLY A YANKEE!!​

I hate them more than ever...:angry:

He (the devil himself!) did it on purpose...so the Sox wouldn't get him...:cry:

In my belief MLB had something to do with not approving the sale of A-Rod to the Sox...maybe money from Steinbrenner??? :devious:

Now I would LOVE to see the prima-donnas (Jeter, A-Rod) fighting over magazine covers!!! :mad:

Spring training only 4 days away, baby!!! I love this time of year!!! :laugh:

minerran

Oct 16, 2003
Narcosis said:
The reason for the debate is because the USA now allows it's citizens to hold dual nationality with the D.R. Since Dominicans are granted nationality based on parents being Dominican nationals, A-rod has dual nationality. My point is the if the world-cup is to be held, MLB should be flexible with a nationality rule. Since the USA is the top market for baseball players, it is logical players from all over the world will try to play at the pro level there, but for a world-cup to be a success MLB should encourage guys like A-rod to play for their "heritage nation". It will be good for the game.
I agree with you. But do we know what the rules will be at this point? And we don't know who Rodriguez would want to play for, and (as MusicQueen points out), if doing so is permitted under his new NY contract. My wish would be that U.S. MLB would have as little influence as possible, if it is truely to be an international series. Is the sports media in D.R. talking about any of this? If so, what are they saying?

BTW - A U.S. citizen can have dual nationality with any country, not just D.R.

Randy

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Please note that being eligible to claim a citizenship does not make one a citizen of a country. You have to go through the paperwork, which it is unlikely that Alex Rodriguez has done, thus I would doubt he is a true dual citizen.

Sports citizenships are another thing. Many times a person can represent another country without having to actually have citizenship of that country.

As mentioned in this thread, the rules for the World Cup are yet to be written. I would think they would leave up to the players to choose who they play for, regardless of who they play for in the Major Leagues.

Fingers crossed that there may be a Baseball World Cup in the future. Great news. I have not read anything on this in the local sports press.

La Gata

Jul 16, 2003
www.myspace.com
Why??????

I am so mad that they traded him! Texas is my favorite team and A Rod is my favorite player ever and now they traded him to the Yankee's!@@@@ ERRRRRRRRR i am soo pissed!

SSSSssssiiiiiddd

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
A-rod

He couldnt care less about nationality. He will use whatever nationality will give him the best deal. In other words, he will go where the money is, and this is not in the DR.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
In the Olympics it use to be that you had to represent Your nation of birth. Since the 80's they have changed that rule to just basic citizenship.
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that in the FIFA Soccer World Cup it is citizenship but with a mandatory 7 year status.
IF they do have a Baseball World Cup I hope they make it by Nationality by birth or with Naturalized citizenship but after the athelete has Naturized citizenship of many years.
I really doubt there will be a Baseball World Cup with professional player participating. First of when will they play it. Do you really see MLB stopping the Season for 3 weeks or so just to have their allstars play in a tournament? During the Winter? These players want some time off. What about injury? If you owned the Red Sox would you let Pedro Martinez risk blowing out his shoulder for this?

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Target date is March 2005

The final plans are being delayed because of the current drug testing scandal.

Drug testing rules have slowed the planning for a World Cup in March 2005. Baseball’s international governing body won’t sanction the tournament unless there’s testing that meets Olympic guidelines.

Last edited:

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
TonyC, the proposed baseball World Cup would be played during the last weeks of March instead of Spring Training. The players complain that camp is too long to begin with. This will at least get a few players out of those last few weeks.

Dominican Tony

Feb 16, 2004
Don't under-estimate....

This baseball "world cup" will take place sooner or later with the Dominican Republic and the U.S.A. as the top favorites, not to leave Japan, Puerto Rico, Venezuela and Cuba (if they play) out...but the Dominican squad will be a true baseball dream team, can't wait to see this happen.
Most would argue that A-Rod will play with the U.S.A. just like most of my friends have argued with me, now my example would be Felix Sanchez whom is Dominican-American and considered one of the top athletes in track & field....this is what i call a good example of pride, this guy prefers to represent his parent's home-land instead of making millions with endorsements from the U.S.A. team, his country of origin.....something i see A-Rod doing because of his connection with his Dominican roots, regardless where he plays, he will always be another pride for us Dominicans along with the Dominican squad in the majors. I don't even know what team to go for with so much talent, lol, but Yankees will be Yankees! :cool:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
A-rod

A-ROD would play for the United States team. Comissioner Selig would want him to, General Steinbrenner would want him to, and all the companies who are paying him millions of dollars to endorse their products would want him to
. Who he would want to play for makes no difference. The decision is not up to him. The above stated people essentially "own" A-Rod and will make the decision for him. They would force him to represent their country and in doing so, their team and products and so forth.

Someone like Sammy Sosa who was born and raised in the DR can play for his national team. Someone like A-ROD who is considered an American AND is being paid a boatload of money from several different sources within the United States, cannot.

Larry

Dominican Tony

Feb 16, 2004
Good point Larry, that's exactly why i had second thoughts of seeing A-Rod on the Dominican team; but like i said, regardless the guy is proud of his roots and visits the D.R. yearly.....i guess we will have to settle with Miguel Tejada at short-stop, ay que peligro!!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
A-rod

A-Rod is a "Mutt" the reason being that since his birth he never really liked the DR, as a matter of fact how many of you can say that when the baseball season is over here, A-Rod has travelled to the DR like most if not all DR players do(even those born here in the US), he shares a lot of our cultural aspects but underneath it all: A GRINGO never the less!!!!

CAshiNgGGG!!!!

Arturo :bandit:

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
A-rod does in fact come to the DR after the season is over. He was here this year and is an avid golfer, has a ton of friends here and could be seen in Casa de campo etc.

He may not be as visable as some of the other ball players since he tends to hang-out with the elite.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Dominican Tony said:
now my example would be Felix Sanchez whom is Dominican-American and considered one of the top athletes in track & field....this is what i call a good example of pride, this guy prefers to represent his parent's home-land instead of making millions with endorsements from the U.S.A. team, his country of origin :cool:

Sorry Tony #2! Sanchez runs under the DR flag because he was not allowed on the US Team. Rumours are it was Illegal Drug use.

As for the Baseball world cup being held in march..I still don't see many owners wanting to break up spring training just for the All-Stars to play. Any manager will tell you that Spring Training is were the season is won or lost.
Still no answer to the pitching question. If I was an owner I wouldn't let my Ace pitch and risk injury just for a Medal!
I see the US Baseball World Cup team like the Olympic teams. Made up of College players mixed with some AAA minor leaguers and some older players trying to make it back in the Majors.