Oh what a night!

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
This was the night i attempted my first bit of merengue..............

Around seven o'clock we arrived at our friends house to be greeted with a coconut with the top chopped off. Inside was some alcoholic concoction (maybe an attempt at a Coco Loco). Whatever it was, it was strong. On the side was bottles of Brugal and Barcelo rum and some Bacardi so i assumed i would not be remembering much about tonight!
The music in the background was quiet at first, a slower merengue tune. After a few rum concoctions from the coconut we went into the other room where Kelvin was carving up a pig to go with our rice and other dominican food.

We washed the food down with a bit more rum and cranked up the music volume for a bit of dancing. I kept making excuses about needing more drink before i would dance. Even though i have been to the DR 6 times i leave the dancing part to my wife. However, after a couple more drinks i got up and just tried it (at least the room was dark). From the other room came a pineapple with several straws sticking out of it, i cant say what that was either.

At the end of the night the rum bottles were empty, peoples voices were sore from the singing, feet were hurting from the dancing and there was me - looking for merengue partners. It was a really good night!

The only thing is.............. outside there was no beach, and the temperature was about 5 degrees. We were here in (not so sunny) Yorkshire, England. My friends brother an sister have both married Dominicans and we all put this night on for them!

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Hi, i actually had a little bit of Barcelo left over from when my wife won various activities ran by the entertainment staff and the Brugal came from a friend who recently visited the DR.
I wish i could find somewhere that imported it but i dont fell optimistic!

golferx

Feb 20, 2004
Rum

tired_boy said:
Hi, i actually had a little bit of Barcelo left over from when my wife won various activities ran by the entertainment staff and the Brugal came from a friend who recently visited the DR.
I wish i could find somewhere that imported it but i dont fell optimistic!
This is my first trip to DR. Can I bring rum back with me??
Bob :bandit:

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
We enjoyed ourselves so much that night we are going to do it again at the end of March. My friend says "if it's going to be at your house, are we going to have a cows head on the plate this time?"............... no!

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Well we had 'Oh what a night part II', it was just as good. I managed to get loads and loads of pictures of beaches, the countryside, puerta plata, santiago, santo domingo etc etc. They all went up on the wall along with a couple of maps. It was as Dominican as i could make it without being there!

A lot of people came who have never even been the DR so the food, music and whole experience was such a good one that would all like to go (i like to think i am helping the DR's economy :))

Anyway, we have had several nights like this since but none of these parties will compare to being there on June the 8th - can't wait. Also i will be able to have Presidente for real instead of cellotaping a Presidente label over my Stella Artois!