What job's are available?

carold

Feb 17, 2004
I was wondering what jobs are available in the DR to regular folk like myself.
I want to move there with my Dominican husband and my child in a few years and would like to prepare myself now.

I am a Canadian with a diploma in Accounting/Programming, speak
Spanish fluently and have work experience as an admistrative assistant.

I know of many Lawyers, Engineers, and Accountants who are
leaving the country as if there were a plague. If they can't earn a
living sufficient enough for them to stay in the country, how can I.

Does anyone have any interesting ideas on job oppotunities available
in the DR for someone with my experience? :)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
carold said:
I want to move there with my Dominican husband and my child in a few years and would like to prepare myself now.

My best advice is get back to us in a few years. Who knows what's going to happen between now and when you finally decided to come here.

I think you answered your own question in your original post...

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Questions

Where are you going to be living ?
Do you have any idea about the Dominican Salary?

My personal opinion is to work at the Hotel field or Tourism some Hotels hire Accounting people to work as "Auditor". Or getting a Job for an Tour Operator as Thomas Cook, Sunquest or Air Transat.

Those are the work work that you can make some money in the DR.

Buena Suerte,

Homer
carold said:

Jennymiga

Feb 5, 2004
jobs

What are:
Thomas Cook
Sunquest
and Air Transat? Are they companies?

I am also interested in finding a job this summer.

Thanks

simpson Homer said:
Where are you going to be living ?
Do you have any idea about the Dominican Salary?

My personal opinion is to work at the Hotel field or Tourism some Hotels hire Accounting people to work as "Auditor". Or getting a Job for an Tour Operator as Thomas Cook, Sunquest or Air Transat.

Those are the work work that you can make some money in the DR.

Buena Suerte,

Homer

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, they are companies in the tourist industry. For more information about each, jennymiga, do a google search for each one.

bigD

Aug 11, 2003
DR ideas

I think the DR is a good investment if you can produce a product that requires a high amount of labour and is marketed back to the US or Europe. All this devaluation of the peso and hard times kind of works in your favour then. We are moving our operations to Santiago and what we pay for labour in Canada in one day, we get for one month. For us training is an issue, but I believe that paying slightly higher wages for good, reliable, long term workers then everybody will benefit. After the learning curve and weeding through the workers of course.

So, in short - If you're into manufacturing, I would say look to manufacture a product that is a low volume specialty market, high priced and requires lots of labour. And priced where freight isn't an issue.

Just a thought.

BigD

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
bigD said:
I think the DR is a good investment if you can produce a product that requires a high amount of labour and is marketed back to the US or Europe. All this devaluation of the peso and hard times kind of works in your favour then. We are moving our operations to Santiago and what we pay for labour in Canada in one day, we get for one month. For us training is an issue, but I believe that paying slightly higher wages for good, reliable, long term workers then everybody will benefit. After the learning curve and weeding through the workers of course.

So, in short - If you're into manufacturing, I would say look to manufacture a product that is a low volume specialty market, high priced and requires lots of labour. And priced where freight isn't an issue.

Just a thought.

BigD
You pay more than 130 a day Canadian in manufacturing? Somehow I doubt that but if not can I get a job with you before you move? I can even type fer Christs sake.

bigD

Aug 11, 2003
they say you get paid what you're worth - maybe thats why I always end up working for free - skilled trades get paid on average about $25 Cdn an hour - add on the WCB and other stuff and your we'll over $130