Latin Dance Music

MadameMuna

Feb 17, 2004
Hey, I am new to this forum and to the hispanic scene. I'm originally hispanic, but was adopted by a caucasian family. But I suppose that is irrelevant - well I am getting to know my culture a bit more. And I realized that I love latin dance tracks. Songs that are great to dance to, like salsa or merengue or bachata types. But unfortunately I don't know the names of any of these kind of songs, could someone please recommend me some good songs for dancing to?

Thank you!!!!!!!!1

khamari

Aug 5, 2003
Sample lots of artists

I would recommend getting compilation CDs of Merengue, bachata and salsa. Something like "Bachatahits 2004" "Merengue en Calle 8", etc. That way you not only get good music, but are exposed to a variety of artists whom you may like and can then buy their complete CDs.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Latin Music

Hello,

I saw your inquiry and I can help you with Latin music but you need to specify what kind of music because the category is broad. Are you looking for "tropical music" which means salsa, merengue, bachata and cumbia. Rock in Spanish- I can't hlep you there because it's not my preference. Pop latino is not my specialty either. Just let me know if it's tropical music I have a lot of suggestions. In the meantime check out cduniverse.com. They have a great selection of latin cds. Compilations may be your best option to get to know some the really good artists in each genre.

Take care,

Lesley D

Guillermo P?rez

Feb 13, 2004
Some of the GOOD stuff for dancing and knowing:

Merengue:
Los Hermanos Rosario (any Exitos CD)
Los Toros Band
Juan Lu?s Guerra y 440 (Bachata Rosa)
Johnny Ventura (Any exitos CD)

Salsa:
Fania All Stars, lots of compilation CDs.
Gilberto Santa Rosa
Raul?n Rosendo

MadameMuna

Feb 17, 2004
Thanx guys!

Those were some really great recommendations, thanx a ton. I wish I could specify it more, but I honestly can't tell the difference between bachata, salsa, etc etc... I mean, I can tell spanish rock from spanish pop, but as for the different types of dances- I am ignorant. When you say tropical I think of Hawaiin Hula music - if that is what you mean, kinda, then that isn't exactly what I am looking for. Although I would love any recommendations of those sort to, to broaden my scope. I'm searching for more, I guess you could say Party songs. Eventhough it's not for a party, but latin songs that get the blood pumping! And if you have any other recom. that would be awesome to --- oh and thanx for the website adresses, those really rocked :cool:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
My MUSIC - Bachata

Ok, I LOVE music, I'm an old soul trapped in a young body... but my favorite music of all is Bachata (of course, if you want we can talk about R&B and some Hip Hop)

Here are some tunes:

Aventura
Elvis Martines
Antony Santos (clissic)
Frank Reyes
Joe Vera
Raulin Rodrigues

Salsa: I like classic listening salsa - but love to dance it. here are some of my favs:

Marc Anthony
India
Victor Manuel
Paquito Gusman
Tito Rojas
Raulin Rosendo (good dancing - classic)
Gilberto Santa Rosa
Grupo Niche (dancing)

If you want more, just ask...

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Latin dance music

MadameMuna said:
Hey, I am new to this forum and to the hispanic scene. I'm originally hispanic, but was adopted by a caucasian family. But I suppose that is irrelevant - well I am getting to know my culture a bit more. And I realized that I love latin dance tracks. Songs that are great to dance to, like salsa or merengue or bachata types. But unfortunately I don't know the names of any of these kind of songs, could someone please recommend me some good songs for dancing to?

Thank you!!!!!!!!1

Hello again,

When I say "tropical music" that is the term used to describe latin music that is: salsa, merengue, bachata and cumbia. I guess in your terms the party music as you mentioned. Since other fans gave their suggestions I feel obligated to give some as well since I am a huge music follwer. Here you go:

Salsa:

1. Orquesta Guayacan- Colombia's finest

2. Grupo Niche- get their older music it's better than their recent
productions. For example albums such as: Etnia, A Prueba de Fuego and Huellas del Pasado are nice. Also the greatest hits.

3. Sonora Carruseles- all their albums. Especially the last four releases:
Heavy Salsa, Con Todos los Hierros, De una vez gozando, La salsa la traigo yo.

4. Victor Manuelle- all great albums.

5. Los Titanes- recommended album: Salsa al maximo voltaje.

6. Joe Arroyo- this guy is great. Be careful however with the albums you buy. I suggest: Deja que cante & Mi Libertad.

Merengue:

The more traditional the better in my opinion.Stay away from the Puerto Rican groups. My favorites are:

1.Los Hermanos Rosario.
2. Los Toros band
3. Rubby Perez
4. Tono Rosario
5. Eddy Herrera
6. Rikarena- this is really fun music. Especially the lyrics.

Bachata-

1. Antony Santos -El Mayimbe (mi Mayimbe). This guy is awesome. Suggested albums are: Juego de amor, Sin ti, Enamorado & El balazo.

2. Raulin Rodriguez- I absolutely adore this guy. All his albums are good. They are available on amazon.com with good feedback from those who have purchased his albums.

Suggested albums are: Soledad, Corazon Corazon, Arancame la vida, Sin Fortuna & Derroche de amor. (when you learn Spanish you will understand why his music is so beautiful).

3. Joe Veras- same thing. He is a grand poet with great emotion. I strongly suggest "Carta de verano" & "Con mas amor".

4. Frank Reyes- High, high respect. This guy is a class A act....all the time!

Suggested albums: Dejame entrar, Vine a decirte adios, Extrano mi Pueblo.

This should get you into "musica tropical". You will enjoy it. If you have any more questions. Just ask.

Take Care,

Lesley D

Last edited:

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
Talldrink said:
Looks like I found another bachata lover. YOu seem to have all the same ones I do!

with me you found another one! :cool:
If you are a good salsa dancer and in Cabarete, let me know!

I totally agree with your and Lesley D's list.
The only ones I would add is
El Gran Combo and
almost all songs from Chichi Peralta

quaqualita

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
quaqualita said:
with me you found another one! :cool:
If you are a good salsa dancer and in Cabarete, let me know!

I totally agree with your and Lesley D's list.
The only ones I would add is
El Gran Combo and
almost all songs from Chichi Peralta

quaqualita

Dear Quaqualita,

yes I am a good salsa dancer but I do not live in Cabarete unfortunately. I would love some of that warm weather right now. I live in Toronto. I like El Gran Combo as well. Their salsa is "incomparable". They are a long lasting invincible group. Two of my favorite songs are: el Timbalero and No hay cama pa' tanta gente. I also have a unique album of theirs that I bought in Panama in 1996 which I have never seen anywhere else in all my travels. It's called "Por todo lo alto". If you don't have it and if you ever see it buy it. It's incredible.

Chao,

Lesley D.
Que viva la salsa.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Hey, quaqualita - I LOVE dancing salsa, I can sit and enjoy salsa y bachata all day long. However, it is frowned upon in DR when two girls are dancing together. Apparently there are too many men to dance with for this happen there. we can pull it off in the US though :)

I would also add to the salsa list Oscar De Leon, he sings my obsolute favorite salsa: Lloraras...

Dominican Tony

Feb 16, 2004
ah but you guys have left out the all popular Merengue-Tipico from the Cibao region, me being from this region i just love dancing and listening to this faster pace of merengue, El Prodigio is by far one of the best in this category.
Salsa i would have to go with Gilberto Santa Rosa and Tito Rojas, two of the best and most played in the current salsa scene......in Bachata? i'm more into 2nd generation bachata, meaning Aventura, Nueva Era and the other new groups surging here in the U.S. I still like Antony Santos and the others in the old-school category......it is kind of rare to see a girl dancing with another girl especially in the D.R. as mentioned, but there are cases where they have no other choice since the guys stay sitted down (what a shame :surprised )
I'm also into Rock music, since i play the bass guitar with a Dominican rock group, which to re-frase is a rock group made up of Dominicans, lol.
Latino music has always been known to be caliente and tempting to dance, something evident in Salsa, Merengue and Bachata (bachata-rengues)

Last edited:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Troy, I love merengue (I couldnt be Dom if I didnt like it!) but I cant listen to it for a long long time. I dance a few tunes, but I rather dance salsa. Thats why I like to go dancing in the Capital instead of my pueblo.

My Merengue Favs are:
on top of my list is Millie Quesada (ahhh the voice)
Tono (sometimes)
Los Hrnos Rosario
Fernandito Villalona (classic!)
Toros band
La banda Gorda
and back when Merengue was the shyt, Coco band, Kinito Mendes and Oro solido.

I guess I can listen to Krisspy since they dont stop playing him in SD or in the US. They are good for forcing you to like an artist by playing him over and over until you automatically know the words to the songs.

Cant help you with Rock dude, at all.

One observation that my Argentinian friend made when she went with me, is how melodramatic and romantic the Doms get when they are in a cafe listening to soft music (baladas, soft rock, etc) they seem to know ALL the words to all these songs that I have NEVER heard in the states. Give these people a presidente and some love songs and they make you want to cut your veins!