DR-Debate or is there???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even when I stayed out of some of these DR debates and been just an observer, these darn things get closed before the debate matures. The description is "Lively Debates, and bring in your brain....." There is not much lively in a long list of closed posts. I guess there closed because the brain hasn't been brought in.

Should there really be a DR-Debate section. Debate is another name for "Argument" and it should be expected but I guess not. Maybe the section should be called DR-Opinions or DR-editorial. Then limited to no responses should be expected and the moderators could "close away" like mad whenever a poster says something stupid, racist or just pisses the moderator off like i've done many times.

Its obvious the tounge is mightier then the sword in the section, but then again the "closed" button is quicker than the eye as well.

Let me end by saying "That was my editorial" for the day. It was not meant to start an angry debate.

ok back to my observing and limited posts again, ciao. :knockedou

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
All I Can Say Is ...

sancochojoe said:
Even when I stayed out of some of these DR debates and been just an observer, these darn things get closed before the debate matures. The description is "Lively Debates, and bring in your brain....." There is not much lively in a long list of closed posts. I guess there closed because the brain hasn't been brought in.

Should there really be a DR-Debate section. Debate is another name for "Argument" and it should be expected but I guess not. Maybe the section should be called DR-Opinions or DR-editorial. Then limited to no responses should be expected and the moderators could "close away" like mad whenever a poster says something stupid, racist or just pisses the moderator off like i've done many times.

Its obvious the tounge is mightier then the sword in the section, but then again the "closed" button is quicker than the eye as well.

Let me end by saying "That was my editorial" for the day. It was not meant to start an angry debate.

ok back to my observing and limited posts again, ciao. :knockedou
Viva la DELETE BUTTON! *T.R. I have one ...

Tom aka XR

*Thank Robert

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Joe

When you have been posting on here for as long as I have, you will learn that disagreeing with the moderators and owners of this board in the way you are is both pointless and the wrong way to go about things. You will also come to realize that this message board is invaluable to the point where the information you drink in from here every day drowns out the small things that may irk you. Threads get closed and posts get deleted. The same topic you are seeing die as the result of a thread closing will most likely resurface in another form before too long anyway. Take it easy man.
Larry

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Show me 5 people that can debate intelligently on this board and I will show you 50 that have shown they can't.

Don't worry, that's all about to change for the better :)

We are still running in the new board, but features are sitting on the shelf that will allow for real debates, to the point that others can vote posters off of the discussion if they play up. If they get too many red cards, then the debate forum will become "read-only" for them. This will be either by thread, time period or permanently. If they then take their BS to other forums, then the moderators will have the same powers.

Maybe we should run a sweep on who goes first?

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Robert

When are you going to stop teasing us with all the new goodies and incorporate them?
Larry

Actually Larry it does not irk me at all. Those who discuss with me know I have thick skin. My point is simply use of the term "Debate" is meaningless.
I personally come to DR1 because I like interacting with people that have common and not so common points of view, not to keep up with the goings on of DR, I go to other sources. In specific coming to the Debate section to do what else, to debate!!!!

I understand your point of view Larry. I'm looking at it with an "opinion" of observation nothing more. Thats what i'm observing. I look at the moderators or owners as other individuals to debate and dicuss with, they are not put above anyone else when it comes to debating a topic. If they choose to debate with me, be prepared like others. If they choose to close it during our debate, I only look at it one of two ways. 1. it got out of control or 2. I won the debate. I tend to lean towards I won the debate.

I look at a debate as a form of competition and thats how I look at it. By nature, I'm a competitive person. I don't take nothing personal. Once I turn off my computer, in my mind the issue is forgotten.

But Larry I understand your point.

Larry said:
When you have been posting on here for as long as I have, you will learn that disagreeing with the moderators and owners of this board in the way you are is both pointless and the wrong way to go about things. You will also come to realize that this message board is invaluable to the point where the information you drink in from here every day drowns out the small things that may irk you. Threads get closed and posts get deleted. The same topic you are seeing die as the result of a thread closing will most likely resurface in another form before too long anyway. Take it easy man.
Larry

Last edited:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Robert said:
Show me 5 people that can debate intelligently on this board and I will show you 50 that have shown they can't ... If they get too many red cards, then the debate forum will become "read-only" for them. This will be either by thread, time period or permanently. If they then take their BS to other forums, then the moderators will have the same powers.

:confused:

I hope that doesn't apply to the Moderators or I will be banned to reading for life! Everybody hates me, nobody likes me, guess I'll ...go ... eat ... worms! LOL.

Tom aka XR

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
From the rules visibly posted in the forum.

The rules are simple:

No personal attacks.

Do not hijack threads.

No copyright infringement.
And obviously it has to be DR-related. Pls. show me ONE thread that wasn't closed for violation of these rules.

I don't think it should be a congeniality/popularity contest. Unpopular opinions are bound (hopefully) to pop up. They are welcome, as long as the posters sticks to the rules.

Come on PIb, threads have been closed for more reasons other than that. Lets me real. It's not that simplistic.

Pib said:
And obviously it has to be DR-related. Pls. show me ONE thread that wasn't closed for violation of these rules.

I don't think it should be a congeniality/popularity contest. Unpopular opinions are bound (hopefully) to pop up. They are welcome, as long as the posters sticks to the rules.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Personal Note

sancochojoe said:
Xan, I personally liked debating with you. Of course it got out of hand on occasion, but I found enjoyment in the exchange. Its boring debating with someone who agrees with you.
I agree.

I founded an NAACP chapter with my ex-wife in the USA many years ago. My best friend and ally, who died of cancer about 10 years ago,was a black woman named Hazel O'Leary. She was a Spike Lee "40 Acres and a Mule" kinda Lady, and I, an "Alex P. Keaton" clone. We could be found every Sunday morning at Perkins or The Village Inn or Country Kitchen arguing vehemently with each other. Our friends would walk in after Church, and seeing this exchange going on for hours while our toast went cold, thought we hated each other! Nothing could be farther from the truth. We were true allies! Both of us realized the world would be a very sad place if every one agreed with each other all the time.

I miss her. But I still love to debate. Just "Bring your Brain" and leave your "Weapons" at the door as the sign says!

Tom aka XR

Bring it on!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
The problem is,

I think that some people do not see the difference between debate and argument (argument is down the corridor). Argument and debate are alike in the same way that boxing and aggravated assault are. You are not debating if you just splash everybody with your ideas like a garden sprinkler and then refuse to reason why you believe the way you do and when confronted with contradictory argument you run naked around the room screaming ?I can?t hear you, I have a banana in my ear!?.

Some people bring up very interesting subjects, sometimes they or somebody else can?t seem able to keep their clothes on.

Last edited:
Well Pib, if you are a lawyer, you use the term argument. So it depends on your angle of the term. I interchange the words debate and arugment, it depends on the audience. The audience here obviously idendentify argument with a shouting match. When I use the term elsewhere, the term is understood. So it depends on the maturity of the audience.
When you watch CNN and there are debates between political parties, they are debating but screaming their heads off to make a point. Again it depends on the audience.

Pib said:
I think that some people do not see the difference between debate and argument (argument is down the hall). Argument and debate are alike in the same way that boxing and aggravated assault are. You are not debating if you just splash everybody with your ideas like a garden sprinkler and then refuse to reason why you believe the way you do and when confronted with contradictory argument you run naked around the room screaming ?I can?t hear you, I have a banana in my ear!?.

Some people bring up very interesting subjects, sometimes they or somebody else can?t seem able to keep their clothes on.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Larry said:
When are you going to stop teasing us with all the new goodies and incorporate them?
Larry

When I have time after working with the clients that put food on the table :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Do the "Homework",then "Put Up,Or Shut Up"!

You have been challenged to show a thread closed for reasons other than the posted guidelines.Now,either present your evidence,or "Shut Up"! Or you could go to the places you like with a more "Mature Audience"!CCCC

minerran

Oct 16, 2003
sanchojoe is right!

Criss Colon said:
You have been challenged to show a thread closed for reasons other than the posted guidelines.Now,either present your evidence,or "Shut Up"! Or you could go to the places you like with a more "Mature Audience"!CCCC

I have to agree with sanchojoe in all respects. The is little real debate and a lot of sneaky personal attacks up here. I was recently accused up here, in so many words, of being a know-it-all, because I wrote in a factual rather than emotional way. In a real academic style debate, one argues the facts and tries to disprove facts from the opponent - not attack the person. Don't use "debates" on CNN as an example, these are not true debates.

As for examples of threads being closed for other than Pib's rules, I recently saw Robert close a thread because the "Race" word was used, even though the debate was not insulting to anyone and the real issue (in my opinion) was the meaning of the word.

I've seen threads closed because the moderator says "this was already discussed in so-and-so thread - closed".

Or "yawn - this is going nowhere - closed"

I saw Robert close a baseball thread started by MusicQueen that was DR related but the reason given was that baseball season is over.

If that's still not enough proof CC, then let me know. I'll find the actual links for you later on, if necessary.

DR1 is a great site and there are many great people up here. But what's wrong with always trying to be better - I think that's sanchojoe's real message.

Randy

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
minerran said:
As for examples of threads being closed for other than Pib's rules, I recently saw Robert close a thread because the "Race" word was used, even though the debate was not insulting to anyone and the real issue (in my opinion) was the meaning of the word.

I've seen threads closed because the moderator says "this was already discussed in so-and-so thread - closed".

Or "yawn - this is going nowhere - closed"

I saw Robert close a baseball thread started by MusicQueen that was DR related but the reason given was that baseball season is over.

If that's still not enough proof CC, then let me know. I'll find the actual links for you later on, if necessary.

DR1 is a great site and there are many great people up here. But what's wrong with always trying to be better - I think that's sanchojoe's real message.

Randy
Are we still talking about the Debates Forum? The problem is not the rules, the problem is some people's innability to follow them.

Pib,

your last response makes the point. Even in this debate, which appears harmless and actually enjoyable, we get the comment you just made. In another debate, someone would make the same comment but with a yawn
as minerran expressed and SLAM!! forum closed. :hurt:

Status
Not open for further replies.