Another Strike?

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
I just got off the phone with my cousin who works in La Zona France de San Isidro and he said the word around the office is that another strike may be in the works for March 15 & 16?
Anyone hear anything? I know it sounds weird because some people get paid on the 15th, but since he works as a manager in the Free Trade Zone, whenever there is a strike the company sends buses to pick them up, so they are already making plans.

Let me know if anyone's heard anything, because I'm going down on the 13th and that would really stink.

LA Woman

Jan 7, 2004
possible

The union organization that coordinated the January nationwide strike is at it again, promoting a repeat for 16-17 March on grounds that the government reacted with indifference to the first strike. The spokesman for the Coordinadora Nacional de Huelga, Ramon Perez Figuereo, is supporting a symbolic warm-up protest, and urged Dominicans to wear a black armband on Independence Day, 27 February to protest the Mejia government and the present economic crunch that has halved the buying power of Dominicans. While the 27-28 January strike received widespread support, there are already manifestations to condemn plans for the March strike. Manuel Diez Cabral, president of the National Young Entrepreneurs Association (ANJE), is one of the first to publicly oppose further strike action. He told El Caribe newspaper that with three months to go before the May elections, which in March would be a mere two months, another national day of work stoppage could only be counterproductive to the investment climate of the country.
Diez believes Dominicans should express their opinion on the economic policies of the Mejia administration by voting en masse in the May election. Diez also said that in light of the resumed IMF agreement, what is most important is for the country to concentrate on economic stability so that the government may act accordingly.

LA Woman :rolleyes:

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Any new information on this? I heard that not much is being spoken about this in DR, and thus many are doubtful that the strike will happen.