1,931 in the Air Force!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Am I missing something here?
What do these 1,931 people do? Make paper planes?

A little more digging and I discovered.

An excellent site:
http://www.fuerzasmildom.com/aviacion/index.php

And then I found this post:
The Air Force only have 1 or 2 UH-1H helicopters in good operational status...they only have small liaison aircraft...the A-37B only one remains and it is for sale..., the rest are in the Junk "Park" behind San Isidro Air Base...Are you ever been there? Well you can find pieces of almost every aircraft that had served with the FAD since Trujillo's.... (http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26594)

So the question remains, what do they really do?

Note: If a poster starts babbling about the USA in this thread, then that poster should consider themselves sin binned until the Dominican Air force purchases their first B2 Stealth Bomber.

Apr 26, 2002
According to the 1992 World Aviation Directory, Dominicana de Aviacion had three airplanes (two aging 727s and an ancient 707) and had 5,000 employees. Now I know where those people went when Dominicana mercifully went out of business.

On a different note, is it a good thing or a bad thing that the Dominican military of 1950 (with operating fighter squadrons, tanks and attack vessels of up to frigate size) could handily defeat the Dominican military of 2004???

Last edited:

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Frankly, I am not at all sure this country even needs a military. Perhaps they would be better off ditching it altogether as Costa Rica did many years ago. Of course, this isn't Costa Rica, but we do need the money for other things.

Second, if that is true, it sounds questionable if they even really have an air force.

Third, for the number and type of aircraft mentioned, the number of soldiers sounds about right. After all, who else is going to chew all of that bubble gum to stick the planes together with?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Lmao!

lhtown said:
... for the number and type of aircraft mentioned, the number of soldiers sounds about right. After all, who else is going to chew all of that bubble gum to stick the planes together with?
As a pilot that is sooooooo funny for any number of reasons that aren't worth explaining here as no one will understand. Thank you for ruining yet another keyboard as I spit up my vino as I read what you typed. Tooooo funny!

Tom aka XR

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
I am with you lhtown. I really don't see the point of a military in the Dominican Republic. The military budget could be used for bigger and better things. Sadly enough our country will never take after Costa Rica since the this is just another way for the government of pillage the country.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Phantom Jets--I Mean Payrollers

I have a friend on the North coast who is in air force intelligence. He periodically shows up to get a check and returns to his tienda to sell his wares to tourists. I'd bet much of his inventory is paid for by those checks.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Three to Fly the Planes and ........

Robert said:
Am I missing something here?
What do these 1,931 people do? Make paper planes?
So the question remains, what do they really do?

1,928 make airplane sounds with their mouths. And call each other "Maverick, Iceman, Goose and Viper".

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
air force or slave force?

The truth is that the Dominican air force has fallen on hard times since Trujillo. All you have to do is look at the sky for an entire year and you would be lucky to see but a few helicopters shuttling Hipolito or the president at hand to an uneeded inauguration. I was able to watch two helicopters from my windows flying around wasting precious fuel at the military parade at the Malecon. This parade was another wasteful exercise. Our soldiers were painted like comparsas at a carnival.

More than 50% of the air force is working as gardeners, chauffeurs, errand boys and watchmen for military and civilians favored by the government. I have mentioned times before how even Leonel Fernandez' sister has a navy lieutenant as a driver for her son and daughter to commute to Gold's Gym and school. So if an ex-president can get a lieutenant for a sister, can you imagine what actual government officials can get. I have seen generals assigned to civilians for their protection. Some merengue musicians have full colonels driving their family cars.

TW

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
It ia so true! Any relative to the President Cabinet can have a Bodyguard.

When I lived there 1984 I and my daughters where assigned a goverment car and a bofyguard until my car came out of customs. I rented an apartment belonging to a military oficial and he send a plummer wearing a military uniform to repair a forcet. That is nothing new in DR. This always been the usuall behavior of those that are in power. My Uncle did not ask, his chofer requested this service for me.