Shots

sarahshubin

Feb 18, 2004
I'm going to stay in the DR for a year, and i was wondering what kind of shots are required and advised? Also, will i have to take a blood test?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
At a minimum

sarahshubin said:
I'm going to stay in the DR for a year, and i was wondering what kind of shots are required and advised? Also, will i have to take a blood test?

Make sure DPT is up to date, polio is updated as it is probably out of date, and also strongly recommend Hepatitis A due to poor sanitation issues (preferably the TwinRix A and B combined shots - the B is important for the sexually active). Malaria prophylaxis is not required unless a lot of time spent at the Haiti/DR border vicinity. You may want to consider the new oral cholera/e Coli (Vukoral) vaccine to prevent turista.

Are you planning to apply for residence or just stay a year? (e.g. overstay the tourist card?) If the latter then ther are no tests, for the former there are.

NB: Post the same question once instead of multiple sections.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
What about an HIV test

Do they still do that when you get a job there? I had to have a medical including the blood test for HIV before I started work at Puerto Plata Village.
Marlie

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
Brugal, Jose Cuervo and Cutty Sark.

HHAHAHAAHA! Sorry, had to get it out of my system without laughing out loud. Are you serious, Porfio?

sarahshubin

Feb 18, 2004
just staying for one year. does that mean no tests? i sure hope so, because i'm a bit scared of needles

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Listen Blondie, Dr is not planet X. Just like your country, we do require some kind of immunization, make sure before you come to Dr to have all yours 'shots' in order. Long ago we learned from those bastards Spanier. I don't want to be rude but it sounds like you live in an 'air bubble'. Come out and face planet Earth.

Zues (primus inter pares) :alien:

sarahshubin

Feb 18, 2004
Okaay-- I'm not trying to be offensive with my questions, i just get sick kind of easily, and i don't want to spend my year fighting off illness. I don't think DR is planet X, and i'm not and air-head living in an air-bubble. Sorry. I wasn't trying to sound like an idiot

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Don't mind him. The DR is very civilized. If you get sick, you will have plenty of good doctors to choose from. You won't get any kind of jungle illnesses. Your regular shots from childhood are sufficient.

When I went to the Amazon region in 2000 I had several shots and had to worry about malaria and other stuff. When I went to the DR the past three visits, I never got sick, just sunburned :cool: .

Some people say "don't drink the water" and "don't eat the lettuce" etc. You may get a bad drink or piece of food and vomit for a few days but you WILL live. Remember, as an exchange student, you are bound to get the exchange student flu. Runny nose, sore throat, aches and pains. It will pass and you will be stronger for it.

Oddly enough the worst food I ever had was in France....

sarahshubin

Feb 18, 2004
MaineGirl said:
Don't mind him. The DR is very civilized. If you get sick, you will have plenty of good doctors to choose from. You won't get any kind of jungle illnesses. Your regular shots from childhood are sufficient.

When I went to the Amazon region in 2000 I had several shots and had to worry about malaria and other stuff. When I went to the DR the past three visits, I never got sick, just sunburned :cool: .

Some people say "don't drink the water" and "don't eat the lettuce" etc. You may get a bad drink or piece of food and vomit for a few days but you WILL live. Remember, as an exchange student, you are bound to get the exchange student flu. Runny nose, sore throat, aches and pains. It will pass and you will be stronger for it.

Oddly enough the worst food I ever had was in France....
Thanks Amity-
You've been nothing but sweet and helpful. I believe that the worst foos you ever ate was in France. I went there a few summers ago, and i paid a fortune for an incredibly gross meal; next time i'm living on crossiants! I'm not really all THAT worried about the DR's food and sanitization, i'm just trying to prepatre myself. i guess.
thanks once again~
Sarah