Haitian towns in DR?

wil

Oct 12, 2003
profiles.yahoo.com
I am visiting in March and am going to travel around some. Would like to visit some areas that have a dominate Haitian atmosphere to them. Landing in SD, and going north from there to probably Las Terrenas, or possibly the Sosua area. Any suggestions? I will be driving. Thanks - Wil

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Go West

Towns with a Haitian atmosphere are found in Haiti.
You may have to reset your bearings as you are planning to go east.
Las Terrenas is not very Haitian, though it has its share.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
wil said:
I am visiting in March and am going to travel around some. Would like to visit some areas that have a dominate Haitian atmosphere to them. Landing in SD, and going north from there to probably Las Terrenas, or possibly the Sosua area. Any suggestions? I will be driving. Thanks - Wil

Visit Montreal and take a cab. You'll have MORE than your share.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
It sounds like you will be going through the areas of the country that have the fewest Haitians. Anywhere near the border and in the sugar cane fields, you can generally find a lot of Haitians. As was mentioned, they are scattered around pretty heavily in other areas also, but not enough i nother areas to find anything like a Haitian town to my knowledge.

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
FireGuy said:
Monte Llano between Puerto Plata and Sosua has a Hatian section where the cane cutters and their families live.

Gregg

This part is called "Cangrejo". Not sure wether it's smart to go there, but this is a typical "batey".

Water Bearer

Jan 7, 2004
wil said:

Going by what you've expressed it appears that when the time comes for you to visit areas that have a dominant Dominican atmosphere, you'll go to Haiti???