Santiago, Mao, & Monte Cristi

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Saludos!

I just returned from 8 great days of sun and fun visiting Santiago, Mao, and Monte Cristi with a side trip to Punta Rucia and Cayo Paraiso.
I flew into the relatively new Santiago airport which was very nice and convenient. I had previously spent time in Santiago for carneval 2 years ago. It's carneval celebration is almost as much fun as the one in La Vega, with La Vega's being larger. Friendly people with much night life.

Just outside of the city, and on the road to Mao, are many fields of tobacco, rice, plantains, and other agriculture.
I stayed at the Hotel Agua Azul in Mao for 2 days with plans on traveling to Monte Cristi for their Sunday carneval celebration. The hotel was small, inexpensive, and clean. The best feature was it's huge swimming pool. It has several slides. The pool is open to the public for a small fee and I had a great time playing in the pool with the local people.
I wanted to know the town of Mao as quickly as possible so I asked a taxi driver to show me the sights. He charged me about $20 US for 4 hours. The tour included stops at a plantain factory, stopping for photos at several rice fields, the vegetable/fruit market, and a couple of rivers.
I felt completely safe touring the town on my own and people were very friendly.

As I got closer and closer to Monte Cristi I noticed the landscape becoming much less green. Monte Cristi I saw lots of cactus and goats. My taxi driver told me that people come from all over the country just to buy Monte Cristi goats. I guess they make the best chivo picante. There were many roadside signs for that local meal, but I preferred to only take their photos.
The first sight of Monte Cristi was an impressive one. El Morro and the ocean could be seen in the distance and it was a beautiful sight. El Morro is a camel shaped mountain/rock that starts on land and ends in the ocean. There are several beaches surrounding it.

I stayed at the Hotel Chic which was in the center of town. I was surprised at how inexpensive the food was. A large plate of pulpo salad and tostones was only about $4 US. Presidentes for about $1.25. There was lots of seafood.
The first chance that I had I headed for the El Morro Beach. It was about 5-10 minutes away by motorcycle for about 40 pesos (less than $1 US). It was beautiful and very different from other beaches in the DR. There were rock formations just off the shore. The beach was surrounded by steep inclines of rock and vegetation. The color of the sand was a reddish brown. The water crystalline clear. There are many large rocks and driftwood swept to the back of the sand. I visited there 4 days in a row and I saw maybe 8 people in all of that time. Some days I had the beach all to myself and my Dominican friends. Early in the day the water was tranquil, and later it became rougher-good for body surfing.
I also visited a couple of other beaches in the area. Playa Juan de Bolanos was not nice, although it had many seashells. Playa Cana de Yuti was scenic and tranquil but not as nice as El Morro.
I had hoped to visit the Siete Hermanos cays but the waters were too rough. It was farther off shore than I thought-about an hour away. The ocean is much calmer in the spring and summer months.

I got to see how Carneval is celebrated in Monte Cristi. Lots of drinking, whipping, music, some costumes, and more drinking. Briefly there are 2 groups of participants. As I understand it one group of participants is protecting the town from spirits. The spirits are whipped with lazo fuertes and they also respond in the same manner. Drinking is involved so as to not feel the sting of the whips. It appears violant but the participants usually walk off together in peace. It's definitely safer to watch at a safe distance.

I took a day trip to Punta Rucia which included a 20 minute speedboat trip to Cayo Paraiso. There are 4 tour groups that go there and they charge US $30 per person. That includes transportation to and from, sandwiches on the cay, snorkeling, and a buffet back at Punta Rucia.
The water was very rough going out and when I got there I could not believe the number of tourists. There seemed to be more tourists than there was sand! The cayo was only about 60 feet wide and 180 feet long. As the tourists started to clear out I noticed that the sand was very white, the water color fantastic, and the snorkeling was great-hundreds of large angel fish that ate bread out of my hand.
The trip back included a tour of mangroves that are part of the Monte Cristi National Park.

After carneval I moved to a new hotel at the base of El Morro named Hostal San Fernando. Very scenic and comfortable, with very good food. There were no other guests. The hotel turned on the power and hot water when I arrived and shut it when I left for the day. It has just been opened for about 6 months so it still has some things to be worked out. No telephone, limited menu, but very friendly and accomodating. They told me they had pina coladas but no pinas!

It was a great vacation and I took lots of photographs. I just posted some images and they can be seen on the DR1 media gallery section under Paul Gerace Photos.
http://dr1.com/media/cgi-bin/media.cgi

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Great trip report and super-duper pictures. Too bad that you couldn't visit the Cayos.

BTW, hou did you get those sheeps to pose for you in front of El Reloj? :classic:

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Thanks for posting your report Paul. I plan to visit Punta Rucia and Monte Criste next year and your information and pictures will be a help.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Great report!

I think I stayed at Hotel chic last year. pretty dumpy but cheap enough. I might try the place down by el morro this time. We'll see. I want to video tape the Carnaval in Monte Christi. It sounds "different". That little patio restaurant outside of Hotel Chic is the central meeting place. A decent amount of ex pats as well.

Monte Christi seems like the place to go. . . .if you need to "disappear" for whatever reason.

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
goats or sheep?

BTW, hou did you get those sheeps to pose for you in front of El Reloj? :classic:[/QUOTE]

Hi PIB. I thought they were goats, but what do I know?, I am from NYC. :)
I was talking to somebody at the corner of the museum when I notcied the scene developing. I had to quickly excuse myself from the conversation and just had time to snap the photo. Just luck.

skinyc15

Feb 23, 2004
Monte Cristi

MonteCristi a nice place to visit. I spent Holy Thursday thru the Morning of Easter Sunday last year. The little town was packed with people from the neighboring villages. If you are the dancing type I would recommend the DISCO OCEANIO night club. That was the place to be at night. Next door to this place there was a good restaurant called the Ocean Cafe'. The beaches are decent the best one being el Cayo. You have to get somebody to bring you there on their boat. The second being EL Moro, just becareful the sea is a little rough there.
This place is only an hour away from Santiago, so if you have time you should definetly check it out.

FP

harlan

May 12, 2004
mao hotel

PG,

Would you comment on how you booked the Agua Azul Hotle in Mao; how much the rate was; and if 4-5 could fit in a room or need two rooms.

If one was to continue on to Santo Domingo; would they best leave from Mao; or Santiago, which is further away?

thanks gracias

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
harlan said:
PG,

Would you comment on how you booked the Agua Azul Hotle in Mao; how much the rate was; and if 4-5 could fit in a room or need two rooms.

If one was to continue on to Santo Domingo; would they best leave from Mao; or Santiago, which is further away?

thanks gracias

I called Hotel Agua Azul and booked it directly with them. I don't have the number with me but someone here on DR1 would have it. From what I remember it was about $27-$40 US for the room for 2 people. THere were 2 double beds so 4 people could share it. Meals were not included, but they have an inexpensive restaurant. There is also a large pool with slides which is included. It is open to the public so it is a good way to meet people from Mao.
I flew into Santiago but I think Mao is further from Santo Domingo than Mao.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Someone needs a map!

Mao is an hour further away from Sto. Dgo than Santiago. It is 52 kilometers West of Santiago. Good highway, easy connections

HB

harlan

May 12, 2004
mao

PGerace said:
I called Hotel Agua Azul and booked it directly with them. I don't have the number with me but someone here on DR1 would have it. From what I remember it was about $27-$40 US for the room for 2 people. THere were 2 double beds so 4 people could share it. Meals were not included, but they have an inexpensive restaurant. There is also a large pool with slides which is included. It is open to the public so it is a good way to meet people from Mao.
I flew into Santiago but I think Mao is further from Santo Domingo than Mao.
thanks pg and hillbilly for the info- my wife was born in mao 50 years ago and some family still lives there- going to take her back for the first time and aqua azul was the hotel mentioned by an uncle in santo domingo :cheeky:

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Is it easy to find accomodation in Monte Cristi? I would love to go there but I am hesitant because of the size of the place and of course since it's not a typical tourist town I don't know what to expect. I just envsion it being simple and nice. Do you mind telling me a little bit more and how you got there from Santiago? Please send me a private email.

Thanks.

skinyc15 said:
MonteCristi a nice place to visit. I spent Holy Thursday thru the Morning of Easter Sunday last year. The little town was packed with people from the neighboring villages. If you are the dancing type I would recommend the DISCO OCEANIO night club. That was the place to be at night. Next door to this place there was a good restaurant called the Ocean Cafe'. The beaches are decent the best one being el Cayo. You have to get somebody to bring you there on their boat. The second being EL Moro, just becareful the sea is a little rough there.
This place is only an hour away from Santiago, so if you have time you should definetly check it out.

FP