Inverter Install & MrMike

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Due to the recent power outages and diesel problems, we decided that we should look at another alternative power source just in case the worse happened, no grid power, no diesel and tired and dead inverter batteries.

Plan A: Solar Power
We looked at solar as a means to keep our inverter batteries juiced up, but it's still very expensive to install. For what we thought we needed and was recommended, we would be looking at the better part of US$9,500 to get up and running, ouch! Of course the investment pays off in the long term, but it was a little out of our budget.

Plan B: 2nd Inverter
Install another inverter and batteries that we can fall back on just in case.
Being 11x cheaper than solar, it made the bean counter at the office very happy :)

Next... Who has Trace 1.5kw inverters, what do they cost and when can they install?

Our first choice, turned out to be the only choice we looked at, MrMike.
For those of you that don't know, MrMike that posts on the board has a business selling and installing inverters. He has offices in Santiago and Santo Domingo (Matthew) and pretty much covers the country from these two locations.

His prices are very good, actually I couldn't find anyone else that could match or come close to them. Mike sells "Real" Trace inverters built by Xantrex in the USA, not the "Mickey Mouse" Trace International ones you see a lot of here in the DR.

From the initial phone call to Mike about pricing, it took just two working days for the guy to turn up and install the stuff.

The Install:
I can be pretty picky when it comes to this sort of stuff, especially having a electronic/electrical background. I have seen a lot of bad inverter installs here, bad cabling, wrong cabling, no breakers etc etc.

Half way through the install I took a look. A couple of things didn't look right, nothing major, just me being picky. I emailed Matthew that looks after the office in Santo Domingo with a couple of digital photos so he could see exactly what I was being picky about.

He emailed me and phoned me back straight away. Told me not to worry, they would do whatever to make sure I was 100% happy. He also explained that they have just started having another installer double check and take digital photos of all installations. This way they have a photo record incase of problems/issues, plus their installers are always checking each others work.

Bottom line:
They did an excellent job and I was very happy with the customer service side of their business. When you live here, it's not easy to find people that know what they are doing and take the time and effort on the customer service side. If you need an inverter, go see MrMike!

Contact details:
Email: michael.albitz@descuentoelectronico.com
Phone: (809)-581-8431

Note: This post was made with the aid of a Trace Inverter.
Yep, you guessed it, we have no grid power right now :tired:

Install Photos:

inverter1.jpg

inverter2.jpg

inverter3.jpg

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I Second That!

Since the Boss spilled the beans, I guess I can't be singled out for giving away free advertising.

We just bought a new Xantrex 3.6KW inverter and 12 batteries for Xanadu from Mike, and we're extremely happy with the unit, the install, the purchase, everything. Went off like clockwork (well once we got Mike and family back to Xanadu after their unexpected journey to La Catalina hahaha).

Our 45KW generator was offline for a day with what turned out to be a stuck solenoid, and Mike's inverter kept Xanadu humming during a 26 hour period where we only had 2-1/2 hours of electricity from EdeNada.

Thanks Mike! We'll be buying another one for the other leg of our AC, and a smaller third unit, like 1.5KW for another villa we rent down the road.

Tom aka XR

? ?
Click on Images Above to Enlarge

P.S.
Now Rob, please bring a bottleof that delcious Aussie wine you promised for Ground Hog's Day up here to Xanadu on your next trip. I want to compare notes about solar because I am thinking of installing just enought to keep a small inverter system charged to run the satellite dishes and computers should the doodoo really hit the oscillating cooling device here in the DR later on ...

Last edited:

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Solar Panels pricing

What size solar panel setup was $9500.00 going to get you. (1.5Kw)? Did that include the inverter(s)?

Thanks

Gary

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Mike has done a good job for me also. Highly recommended - and there are almost no dominican businesses I can say that about.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Good Job MrMike

Well.

I don't know MrMike but I'll tell you this. By reading what has been written here I will do business with him blindfolded. We need more people like that to be in business. Keep up the good work!!!

If I ever get to live on the island and you are still in business I will definately look for you. Just don't change your work ethics. :classic:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
If MrMike is wondering why I haven't called him, wonder no more... I need to finish some other work at home before installing the new inverters... which I sorely need because I GOT TWO FRIGGING HOURS OF POWER TODAY!!!!!!! :hurt:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
gmiller261 said:
What size solar panel setup was $9500.00 going to get you. (1.5Kw)? Did that include the inverter(s)?

Thanks

Gary

Actually it was more than US$9,500 when I look at the quote.

Below is the quote I received.

-----------------------------------

Here are several options with varying levels of independence from the
grid. The prices here are for panels, control boxes, roof mounting
structure, battery cabinets, and all the essential accessories like
breakers, module connections, fuses, wiring, etc. that's necessary for
installation. Components for installing the entire system--minus
batteries and inverter--are included in this price, but we'll need some
roof details and installation parameters before we can give you our
installation quote.

As we've mentioned already, it looks like your basic consumption runs
around 9kWh/day (assuming 4 computers, 2 fans, and 3 low-consumption
lights for 8 hours each day.)

Option 1: 4.5 kWh/day from solar
Price: US $10,430 + tax

You'll produce half of your total energy needs. The solar array can
supply 50%, but the other part has to be supplied through the grid by
recharging the batteries. If the apagones come during the full 8 hours
of your work day, you'll still have problems if you don't cut back your
consumption. Assuming that you have grid power for at least a few hours
a day to help recharge your batteries, this system should serve you well
and fill the gaps during the apagones.

Option 2: 6 kWh/day from solar
Price: US $13,590 + tax

Same description as above, but this time the solar array is supplying
66% of your needs. You'll be able to ride out most long apagones, and,
incidentally, this is the size of system you'd need if you decided to
work only 5 days/week instead of 7. Those extra two days would give the
panels a chance to charge up your batteries while you wouldn't be using
any energy.

Option 3: 9 kWh/day from solar
Price: US $19,750 + tax

In this case you're supplying all of your office's essential
electricity. I emphasize that this system has been designed in order to
COMPLETELY fill your energy needs (assuming computers + fans + lights 8
hours/day, 7 days/week.) It has a battery bank that will support 3 days
without sun, and will treat your batteries well by never discharging
them to more than 50% of their capacity so they'll last much longer.)

-----------------------------------

The tax is either 6 or 12%, not sure the ITBIS that you pay for this type of stuff. As you can see it adds up.

If you want more details and to speak to someone that knows what they are talking about, contact Allison Archambault at allison@SoluzUSA.com

SoluzUSA have an office in Santiago.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Robert,

Thank you very much for the detail information. Your setup looks very professional also.

Gary