3 weeks till we fly...

crispycritter

Jan 19, 2004
I'm starting to pack and make a list of necessities not to forget :paranoid:
Thinking of getting our travellers checks this week so I can cross that off the list. Any other suggestions I could take care of at this point ...so the last few days are not hectic before vacation?

I know it's been asked and all depends on the individual......but how much $ should we take? We are in mid 30's, staying at an AI, plan to do 1-2 excursions and bring souveniors home for the kiddies. Since we've been told not to do the debit/credit card ...Any idea how much cash or travellers checks? :confused:

Plus, do we tip or not? I've read different posts on this subject - whether to or not? If so, what should we bring for $1 US bills? We are staying 1 week.

25 more sleeps :knockedou

Tonynocker

Feb 17, 2004
But the best thing I could say to you as far as advice is.....

Bring what ya think you need then add 500.00 that you don't intend on spending. This is the emergency travelers cash I always take when I vacation I?ve dipped into it 2 or 3 times in my travels (Not DR AI's) More is better than less IMHO So you don?t need to worry about strictly adhering to a budget.

pati

Feb 3, 2004
I use my credit card at restaurants and hotels in DR and I never had a problem with theft. If your credit card company is diligent they will monitor the activity and inform you if they see anything abnormal. Especially from the Dominican Republic.
As you stated it is a personal preference and you have to be comfortable with what you are carrying. If your constantly thinking about losing the money then bring travelers checks. I personally bring cash but I am always around locals.
Do some research on how much the excusions are and whether or not you plan to eat in any local restaurants and how much you want to set aside for souvenirs then bring $100 more just in case.
The whole tip thing is confusing but we do tip the people who carry our luggage,the woman who cleans the room and at restaurants.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You might wat to think

Along these lines:

Outside restaurants, add 15-20% for good service---Even though there is a 10% added....silly I know, but they seldom see that 10%...

The woman that cleans your room should get $2 x day if she does her job and keeps your messes all cleaned up. She makes diddly-poop so this will be very well received.

You can slip a $10 to the bartender at the AI, he will be sure to get you your drinks in a timely fashion...

Credit cards are widely used in Puerto Plata, Sosua and Cabarete, so you can relax and use them if need be. Keep your receipts, of course.

Cash is better than TC just because people know it better. You can always change TCs at any Casa de Cambio if you feel better...

Sun Block
Bug Spray
Pepto
Lomotil
Calamine Lotion
After Sun creams..Lobster red might impress your friends back home but it HURTS!

A few Band Aids and antibiotic creme for cuts and scrapes...

A hat, a long sleeved shirt, a light sweater (Dominicans love ice cold Air Conditioning and Presidente Beer).. If you go into the mountains take these with you.

Depending on which excursions you take, a sports bra, walking shoes or boots, camara and film or extra batteries for the digital..

A few T shirts and jeans and you are ready..

HB

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Oh, how I envy you!!!

Can't wait to start planning my own vacation...

You don't mention where exactly you will be staying...

In Punta Cana an all day excursion to Altos de Chav?n and Isla Saona runs approximately $80 USD per person. (At least it did when I went last year)

They pick you up early in the morning, you visit Altos and then go on to take the catamar?n and/or speedboat to Saona...

This is one of the best excursions I've taken while in DR...just beautiful...they provide lunch and all you can drink...Great memories!

As far as credit/debit cards...NEVER had a problem with overcharging or not being able to take money if needed...

Don't plan it so much...follow Hillbilly's advise...and then just relax and have fun!!!

You can see some pics of my trip here ...http://www.worldisround.com/articles/12180/index.html ...and more here...http://www.worldisround.com/articles/14977/index.html

Tell us all about it when you get back please!!!

Last edited: