Indian Restaurants??

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
I love Indian food and I was told that there are two Indian restaurants in S.D., one serving vegetarian dishes only.
Can anyone help with addresses and phone numbers?
Santiago tips are also appreciated.
Thank you.
M?frog

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Do a search on Indian restaurants and you will encounter several amusing and informative threads which reveal that:

There are very few Indian restaurants in the DR.
The ones that claim to be such are frauds (copyright AZB 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003...)

However, it is true that:
Fior di Loto in Juan Dolio has regular Indian evenings where authentic Indian food cooked by Indian chefs is served.

Govinda vegetarian restaurant in Santo Domingo (off Ave. Maximo Gomez, next to the Supermercado Nacional) is run by Hare Krishnas and although the cuisine is not specifically Indian some of their dishes have a definite Indian flavour. It is really cheap and highly recommended.

Coco's, the 'English' restaurant in the Zona Colonial usually have an Indian-style dish on the menu. Not so cheap but no less highly recommended.

Chiri

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
"Govinda"

Thank you, Chiri.
Now, as you mentioned it, I remember that Govinda was one of the two I was told about.
It has always astounded me that there is no real Indian restaurant in S.D. or Stgo., but alas, no wonder as there
do not seem to be many Indians in this country.
I remember Murgh Pulak (?) (Chicken in spicy spinach), it makes my mouth water ... But that was Nairobi ...
M?frog

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
There are no indian restaurants in this country for the simple reason: most dominicans can't eat spices. They love their food to be totally tastless and dullfully simple, ex: have you seen how excited the dominicans get just by eating white rice and tasteless (spiceless, seem like straight out of the can) bean combination? They eat yuca boiled and a meat which seem cooked only with a sprinkle of salt and grease. If you would to open up an authentic indian restaurant in this country, you are guaranteed to go belly up in one month. Don't let the people tell you there is an authentic indian restaurant near cabarete called "blue (something)". It run by a german and the cook is a dominican. So just imagine how authentic could it get. Most foreigners have no idea what an authentic indian restaurant is all about unless they eat in a typical pakistan/indian restaurant in NYC or any other major US city where the owners cater to their own people. Most fancy indian restaurant that cater to foreigners serve sweet creamy false (fixed) indian food.
Good luck finding a real indian restaurant in this country where the people still can't seem to get enough of white rice and canned beans.
regards,
AZB (Dr1's best indian pakistani selfproclaimed chef).

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
AZB, you materialised there like some sort of Indian fairy godmother.

A couple of the places I mentioned - and oh, so careful I was with the wordings - cater mainly for foreigners, and do not skimp on the hot spices. The third (Govinda) has a largely Dominican clientele and yes, the food is not particularly spicy.

Chiri
Credentials? Veteran of Bradford and Brick Lane eateries.

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
in the defense of Blue Moon, it was started by a german and his Indian girlfriend who taught Marina, the Dominican cook, how to prepare the dishes. Marina has been there from the beginning to present day. I believe the restaurant is about 11 years running. Why? Because it does offer visitors a unique experience up in the mountains, good, tasty food usually consisting of tandori chicken, 4 side/dipping sauces, 3 kinds of veggie salads, rice spiced w/cardomen and cinnamon, and dessert. It's not for everyone. You sit on the ground in a circle and eat of bannana leaves with your hands. But for many, it is one of their most memorable experiences. I know as I take a group up there about 2-3 times a month (not typical tourist, kiters/surfers). The hosts, Rich, an American and Sandy, a German, are hospitable, charming and although not Indian, really help create a wonderful dining experience and ambiance.

Marina
Kitexcite/Cabarete

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
AZB said:
There are no indian restaurants in this country for the simple reason: most dominicans can't eat spices. They love their food to be totally tastless and dullfully simple, ex: have you seen how excited the dominicans get just by eating white rice and tasteless (spiceless, seem like straight out of the can) bean combination? They eat yuca boiled and a meat which seem cooked only with a sprinkle of salt and grease. If you would to open up an authentic indian restaurant in this country, you are guaranteed to go belly up in one month. Don't let the people tell you there is an authentic indian restaurant near cabarete called "blue (something)". It run by a german and the cook is a dominican. So just imagine how authentic could it get. Most foreigners have no idea what an authentic indian restaurant is all about unless they eat in a typical pakistan/indian restaurant in NYC or any other major US city where the owners cater to their own people. Most fancy indian restaurant that cater to foreigners serve sweet creamy false (fixed) indian food.
Good luck finding a real indian restaurant in this country where the people still can't seem to get enough of white rice and canned beans.
regards,
AZB (Dr1's best indian pakistani selfproclaimed chef).

AZB dont get me wrong i do eat spicy food however Indian food (TO ME) (I said to Me) is Horrible.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Indian Dishes

Indian cuisine has such a great variety that it?s sad to hear that there are people who find it horrible.
Does this judgement stem from a one time experience (maybe the cook was non-Indian?)?
M?frog
P.S.: Do you smoke? Even with your meals?
It seems that more and more people smoke between
the courses of a meal. Indian food (no matter mild or
spicy) does not go well with nicotin at all.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Chirimoya said:
Credentials? Veteran of Bradford and Brick Lane eateries.

Probably one of those 'Harry Ramsden' fans too??!! Hey Up, lass - fancy nuther chip butty? None of that there foreign muck for us, eh chick? - Grahame

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Chip butty! Now you're talking. Coco's should put it on their menu along with Roast beef and Yorkshire Pud. But did you know that chicken tikka masala (I know, AZB, I know) was recently voted Britain's new national dish?

Chiri

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
In all seriousness folks, jokes aside, is the Blue Moon's food not very good (in terms of authenticity)?

Having spent more than a year collectively living in Kuala Lumpur, Madras, Bangalore, and Amritsar I would dearly love some real Indian cooking. Don't laugh AZB, the last authentic stuff I had just before moving here was in Marietta. :: sigh ::

I don't like bland food! But Alba chokes on my Tacos and Chili. I wouldn't dare try tandoori chicken!

Tom aka XR I saw a tree fall in the woods. I didn't hear it.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
mountainfrog said:
Indian cuisine has such a great variety that it?s sad to hear that there are people who find it horrible.
Does this judgement stem from a one time experience (maybe the cook was non-Indian?)?
M?frog
P.S.: Do you smoke? Even with your meals?
It seems that more and more people smoke between
the courses of a meal. Indian food (no matter mild or
spicy) does not go well with nicotin at all.

I had an Indian girlfriend and afew years ago and all we did was eat at Indian restaurants in Miami, maybe i didn't develop a taste for it...........

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
To Mountainfrog

What realy hapened to the Indian or Siri-Lankan chef, who use to work at "Kanesh" in Las Terrenas? He use to prepare a few mean dishes.
WebDev

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Indian Food in L.T.

The former owner of the "Kanesh" used to cook a set menu
every once a while. It did remind me of Indian food indeed.
So it was Kanesh himself to cook or his Dominican employees rather. My SIL works there so we know some of the tricks how to substitute for Indian ingredients.
There also lives a Swiss girl here who prepares Indian meals at the client?s house. I haven?t tested her skills yet because the minimum order is for 6 persons (if I remember it correctly).
Any Indian food lovers to complete the party?
M?frog

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Mara (or Maya when she's in India) brings all her spices from there

when she comes back from her yearly visits to Pushkar. She even brings the besan flour to make these very hot, spicy fried things (I can't remember what their called - care to help me out here AZB?) that look like fritters.
She will make authentic Indian food by reservation for 10 or more anytime (when she's in the country that is!)
She has a foundation in India to help girls from the desert regions (Flor di Loto India Inc.) so she is now spending about 6 months a year in India.
The phone # for Flor di Loto in Juan Dolio is listed on the restauant page of DR1.
If anyone is interested in attending an "Indian Party" please PM me and I'd be happy to arrange one for you.
AZB you really MUST come down and check it out! You'll be surprised at what you've been missing.

Anyone interested in helping out with the foundation (donations please!) can run a web search for the Flor di Loto India Inc. web site (I know, I know, I should post the link but I'm too lazy to look it up and figure out how to post it!).

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am not so thrilled about going all the way to southcoast to eat some indian food. I eat indian food all the time. I cook it. I have brought all my spices from USA (INDIAN STORES) and actually have a huge bag full of basmati rice to make delicious chicken briyani. How many folks like briyani (made from real basmati rice)?
XR, the restaurant in marietta is called "Haveli".
The fresh Nans and creamy dal is something to die for. I used to eat there all the time. Their Tandoori chicken is a joke. Only red colored but flat flavor.

MoMMC the fried fritters can be "pikoras". They can be friend with potato, peppers or some other veggies.

Now for our friend who found indian food horrible. Please, go for your second serving of delicious white rice with beanless beans (from the can) and boiled yuca or boiled green bananas. I am sure you just can't seem to get enough of these dominican delicacies.

Now if you folks go to any restaurant in major US cities and eat in places which only cater to their own folks then you will have a chance of finding close to authenic flavors of indian/pakistani food. The problem is that many famous indian/pakistani restaurants cater to white gringos who can't take the strong spices. Thus the food is cooked by indian chefs with indian spices but mellowed down to suit gringo tastebuds. They often cook with heavy cream to make the food creamy and more americanized. No indian dishes are cooked with cream anythere except in gringo flavored indian fake restaurants.

AZB

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I just ate at Flor di Loto as Mara had guests who asked for an Indian meal.

MMMMMnnnnnn! Good!

She doesn't do Tandoori chicken because she hasn't found anyone here who can build a real Tandoori oven to cook it in and she refuses to cook it in a regular oven because then it would not be authentic Tandoori chicken.
Get the picture as to how authentic the food she makes is.

I don't think that's what the fritters are AZB as there doesn't seem to be any vegetables in them but they are very spicy.

The dal and Nans sounds good.
Maybe once my kitchen is finished (restaurent quality appliances going in) you'll make a trip down AZB and we can cook up a feast for the DR1 crowd on this side of the island (as well as any from the north who care to make the trip) to demonstrate what "real" food is! (shshshshshhhhhhh - don't tell my husband I said that. He still thinks Italian is the best!)