Orange (cell phone) Dealers near Punta Cana/Bavaro

Rontec

Feb 21, 2004
Hello,

I'll be staying at the Catalonia Bavaro which is in the Playa Bavaro area in the second week of March. I need to be able to use my cell phone while there.
Based on my research, Orange is the only GSM provider in the area.

It looks like I'll need to purchase an "Orange card." My plan is to take a taxi from the hotel to an Orange dealer and buy the card. Does anyone know of any Orange dealers in the Bavaro area?

The Orange web site lists this one "Rivieras de Bavaro - Carretera Friusa Melia #60, Plaza Rivieras de Bavaro, Bavaro" Does anyone know how far this location is from the resort where I'll be staying?

Once I have located a dealer, I'll need a way to get there. What are the regular (non turist) rates for Taxis? How would I go about getting a Taxi, given the fact that this is a closed resort and I can't just go to the street, put my hand up and shout "Taxi!"?

TIA

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Dear TIA

You haven?t booked a cell in a prison, have you?
So, there is nothing wrong with stepping out into freedom and flag down a taxi (or just hop in, as I?m sure they are waiting there for you).
I don?t know how well you speak the language...
They always say " si,si ", but you may be driven to an orange vendor ...
M?frog

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Huh?

Rontec said:
How would I go about getting a Taxi, given the fact that this is a closed resort and I can't just go to the street, put my hand up and shout "Taxi!"?
Why not? Physical disablity? No arms to wave at the Taxi? No legs to walk you out the door? Brochitis, asthma, congenital vocal cord defects to prevent you from beaing able to speak?

What?

Tom aka XR For every action, there is an equal and opposite government program.

Rontec

Feb 21, 2004
Thanks mountainfrog. TIA means "Thanks In Advance" = "Gracias por adelantado" (computer translation).

Can anyone comment about prices so I wont get ripped off?

Rontec

Feb 21, 2004
XanaduRanch said:
Why not? Physical disablity? No arms to wave at the Taxi? No legs to walk you out the door? Brochitis, asthma, congenital vocal cord defects top prevent you from beaing able to speak? What?

Mean yet funny, nicely done. What I actually meant is that the hotel may not allow Taxies on their territory and that there may not be Taxies right outside the resort since it may not be on a main street. Am I completely wrong?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Yes. You are.

Rontec said:
Mean yet funny, nicely done. What I actually meant is that the hotel may not allow Taxies on their territory and that there may not be Taxies right outside the resort since it may not be on a main street. Am I completely wrong?
I apologize if that sounded mean. Just trying to put it humourously. I have not been there, but I can't imagine it being any different than anywhere else on the island. Like MF said there'll likely be lot's taxi's and moto's waiting right outside the front door for you.

If the front entrance is fenced in with barbed wire, land mines, security guards with AK47's just swim out off the beach a few hundred feet to a public beach access between the resorts and head for the main street to catch your taxi.

Just make sure the phone you buy is watertight for the swim back to your resort under the barbed wire. I recommend Motorolas for water tolerance.

Tom aka XR ANIMAL LOVER ON BOARD. They're delicious.

Rontec

Feb 21, 2004
Ok, point taken :cool:

What about prices for Taxis? Do they normally charge by the Km/Mile or based on the destination?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Ronteck said:
What about prices for Taxis? Do they normally charge by the Km/Mile or based on the destination?
By the destination. Although they may exist in Santo Domingo, I have never seen a Taxi with a meter in it here.

Tom aka XR Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Rontec,

You can get a taxi at the Catalonia, you can walk up to the main gate or have the desk or bell captain arrange to send one to you. The distance to the Plaza Rivieras de Bavaro and Plaza Bavaro area is about 10-12 km, 20 min, from your resort. The taxi fare should be 300-400 Pesos subject to change [The taxis are not metered and rates sometimes can be negotiated. Don't get into the taxi until the rate is set, write it down, and then show the figure to the driver.] You also have the option of taking the gua-guas (mini-buses) for about 35 Pesos.

Regards,
PJT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Dealer

The Orange Dealer is located in the 2nd level, left corner, at the rear of the Rivieras de Bavaro alcove.

Regards,
PJT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The plaza is deserted on Sundays, so I doubt they are open.

Regards,
PJT

Rontec

Feb 21, 2004
Well, that did not go too well. Sometimes I hate to be right.
There are no taxis outside the gate and the people at the front desk want 20 USD each way.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Rontec said:
There are no taxis outside the gate and the people at the front desk want 20 USD each way.
So walk out the front gate.

Tom aka XR Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.

Taxi's

Lots available outside the gate go out and walk down the street and hail one like you would at home, $20 will take you round trip easily, negotiate the rate.

? <font size="1"><i><font color="Navy">Wud <i>aka</i> </font></font><font size="6"><font color="Blue"><b><font face="Signature">Hlywud </font></b></font></font><i><font size="1"><font color="DarkRed">"If anybody wud Wud wud"</font></font></i></div>

Last edited:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
you must know...

Rontec said:

You must know my wife-you sound EXACTLY like her.