Non-Gringo Real Estate, Sosua

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I'm thinking of moving my girlfriend and her 2 young children from SD to Sosua. Life is alot harder and more dangerous in SD, especially where she lives now, and I think it would be a better start in life for her kids growing up somewhere else. Being a poor Dominicana, she has no interest in air conditioning and many of the other gringo necessities like backup power, etc. I'd like to find her decent 2 bedroom house or apartment in a safe neighborhood, probably to rent at first. My feeling is that the main realtors, Perdomo, Remax etc., don't handle that kind of listing and that there is probably a less "gringo" approach that I, or she, could take. Any suggestions? - D

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Sosua dwelling

I?d do a trip to Sosua and check out the area. You?ll be surprised by the many "Se vende" signs.
If it is a typical Dominican house that you are looking for just pick the one you like. My guess is, that it is for sale.
Need it be Sosua? The further you go inland the less costly your home will be.
I own some land there but it?s in a "Gringo" area ("La Mulata") and may not suit your needs.
M?frog

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
She and the children would be happiest in Charamicos, the half of Sosua that is at the other end of the beach. I recommend that you do your looking there.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Ken - Can you elaborate on why you think so. I know the area, and certainly the el Batey area (am I correct that that is the tourist side of town) seems safer and nicer. At any rate, do you know of local agents? - D

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Danny W, Charamicos is the Dominican part of Sosua. I think your girl friend and her children will be happiest there as they will be living with people much like themselves and can walk to school with the childen they play with. I consider it a safe area for her; I know several Dominicans that live there. The office manager for El Neptuno lives there, as does our head maintenance man and my dentist. I will be seeing all of them tomorrow and will ask them about real estate availability for rent and purchase.

Do you know the area. It is on the other side of the bay and beach from El Batey. The Caribe Tours bus terminal is in Charamicos. The town is between the highway and the ocean.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Ken - Yes, I know the area. It does make sense. I'll be in Sosua with her March 23-28 and will be actively looking then. Needless to say, this is a big deal for all concerned. She'll essentially be leaving home and starting a new life, and at the very least, I'm going to be a bank for a while. It might take a while (an understatement) for her to get on her feet, so I want to make sure I'm not undertaking something over my head. It's all about her kids being educated and having some opportunity in their lives. Thanks for your help. - D

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Danny, I really think--based on your description in the first post--that Charamicos is the best place for her. I believe she will feel more at home there than in the Sosua city side of the bay, and that she will make the transition very quickly because life in Charamicos is more like she is accustomed to. I'll try to post again late tomorrow (Monday) with information on the real estate situation in Charamicos.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Danny W, Charamicos is the Dominican part of Sosua.

When did they lose rights to El Batey? All of Sosua is Dominican!

El Batey is actually quite diverse - I believe your dentist, Ken, currently lives near the Zoilo market on the way to High Caribbean, and there are all kinds of other enclaves where people lead a typical life. People who are Sosua born remember how it was before it was all developed and remember it fondly. There are still some really nice parts there. (You can also live very badly there - I did my time at Condos Sosua - ugh - back in summer of '94. Used to sneak into the pool over at Condos Dominicanos and always asked to leave - hee - were you the owner then, Eddy?)

In all honesty, I don't see why a young mother of 2 children would be automatically relegated to Charamicos - apartments are luck of the draw. I lived there for several years, generally happily, in various places, and in terms of kids - it's pretty loud, with cars and motorcycles everywhere - it certainly had its drawbacks.

There are also all the outlying areas of Sosua, like Los Castillos, Sosua Bajo, Cangrego etc on the way to Puerto Plata.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Danny W, as a starting point, call Julio Arzeno at Club Nautico, 586-2358. I am told they have apartments for rent, that there is security, and that the place is clean.

Relax, Jane J. I considered the other areas and decided to recommend Charamicos for a young mother with 2 small children, coming from the city, who is completely unfamiliar with the area, has no car of motorcycle, and will probably be overwhelmed by the change because at least initially it will be much easier for her to get to all the services and for her children to get to school than if she were to be living in the many other possible areas. And I still believe that.

Regarding my dentist, she grew up in the heart of Charamicos. Her parents live about 2 doors from the Charamicos church where she was recently married.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Dumb question, but why Sosua?

Getting away from a dangerous area could be lot's of places in the DR.

Non-Gringo sosua is almost an oxymoran since the entire town is related to the tourist industry. I think you might find something in Sosua abajo , a section of town that is generally dominican, but for price, you'd be a lot better off outside of Sosua. I think for a woman being set up, there are few reasons to go to Sosua.

-Lee

Last edited:

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Good point, Itsnyder.

Charamicos is fine if you have your family network for help, but for a woman on her own with 2 kids life can be pretty hard. Sosua in general is overrun with people from all parts of the country looking to make something off the tourist industry (and generally not the most desirable people) and even they usually come without their kids.

Club Nautico is nice enough, but the apartments are notoriously badly ventilated and don't they only have studios? In addition to the more expensive houses they rent, that is.

Ken, I am relaxed. (??) My opinion is just as valid as yours.

PS I don't think women from the capital are overwhelmed by little old Sosua, either. Most capitale?os think of Sosua as a campo!

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sosua abajo is a good possibility. In fact, I tend to lump that in with Charamicos since it is almost impossible to tell where one stops and the other begins.

Certainly, Jane J, your opinion is as valid as mine. If you post had read less like a lecture to me, I would have not reacted.

I agree that someone coming from the city won't be overwhelmed by the Sosua area. But I think they might have trouble getting used to La Union, another possibility, since it is in the campo and reaching most services, including the school, require long rides on the guagua.

Fortunately, the board doesn't have the responsibility of finding a place for the girl and her children. Danny will do that when he comes in late March.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Sosua is heaven compared to the Sabana Perdida barrio of SD. I have been to Sosua 4 times in the last year (I live in New York) and would love to retire there in about 5 years. I stay at Sosua By The Sea and always get a kick out watching the kids at the elementary school in that neighborhood. It's so peaceful around there. I'm kind of the grandpa to this family and will be in my 80s by the time these kids go to college - a minor miracle in itself. I can see that happening in an environment like Sosua. Compared to what this girl has overcome already - adjusting to life up north will be a snap. Your opinions are a great help. Keep them coming. - D

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
ltsnyder said:
Getting away from a dangerous area could be lot's of places in the DR.

Non-Gringo sosua is almost an oxymoran since the entire town is related to the tourist industry. I think you might find something in Sosua abajo , a section of town that is generally dominican, but for price, you'd be a lot better off outside of Sosua. I think for a woman being set up, there are few reasons to go to Sosua.

-Lee

That's exactly what Ken said. Charamicos/Sosua Abajo...not the Sosua side where it is primarily tourist driven...

m

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
JaneJ hit the ball out of the park!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you spell "Support System"???
Where are her mother,father,sisters & brothers,aunts & uncles,cousins? Where are her grandma & grandpa,her girlfriends??
She obviously has gotten pregnant 2 timesShe obviously can make poor choices!Where is the father of her children? Or more likely,"fathers" of her children?
If her "Support System" is here in "La Capital",she won't do well in Sosua.She will be vulnerable to all the "chulos" there! If she has a "Gringo" paying all her bills,she will be VERY popular!!!
I have told all my friends who live in the US,and try to have long term relationships with Dominican girls living in the DR,"Never Happen"!
And it NEVER HAS!
Dominican girls are "Born & Bred" to have a man take care of them! You are too far away to do that.Sending money is not "Taking Care" of your girlfriend!
She "Has" to go to the "Disco"!
Just because you like Sosua,and want to retire there,doesn't mean that she does! She will think it is a "Great Idea",but she has no idea what it means.You will have a Dominican "Helper",about 2 weeks after you leave her alone.What was this girl doing when you met her? How long before you slept with her? And you want to drop her on the ground in Sosua???.Bad Idea!

PS,you state:"Being a poor Dominicana she has no interest in "Air Conditioning,or "back-up" power supply"!
To me that is a VERY telling statement!!!!!!!!
You are "slumming"!
"Americans are rich and need "Air",but those poor Dominicans won't know what they are missing!"
Is that also true for medical care,and education? "Poor" Dominicans don't have those "luxuries" either? How about clean water? She is a poor Dominican,you won't have to buy bottled water either!!!!
When I was a boy,my father refused to buy new cars with "Air-Conditioning"!So why is it that I "Love" air-conditioning,and would never buy a car without it????Cris Colon

Last edited:

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Crisssssss - Wow! If only I had consulted you earlier in my life, I would have been so much better off. Actually, I was just asking about real estate in Sosua. Maybe sometime in the future we can get into it more in the Men/Women or debate section. You might learn something! :) - D

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Jane J. said:
. (You can also live very badly there - I did my time at Condos Sosua - ugh - back in summer of '94. Used to sneak into the pool over at Condos Dominicanos and always asked to leave - hee - were you the owner then, Eddy?)

No I was living at the bar. LOL. FYI Condos Sosua has been cleaned up. Most owners are Italians and the pool is nice. But you can still come over for a dip in our pool.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
While I hate to say this Chris is right.

I've seen it a million times myself.

Some guys figure this out in a few months. Some never figure it out. Some just don't want to figure it out.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Gringo in dr - Tonight, when I have some time, I will enjoy writing a reply to you and my comic friend Criss. But first, could you please elaborate on what you think Criss is right about and what "some guys never figure out". Criss' generalizations and condemnations were coming so fast and furious that I'm not sure what you're referring to. - D