Is distribution of political literature allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

urnotme

Feb 22, 2004
Hola!

What are the speech freedoms of la republica? If i were to say distribute left wing literature to the people of the DR as a visitor from the U$A would it be allowed? if so would I be harrassed? Please let me know the guidelines..

Much Thanks!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What sort of literature are you talking about. Be more specific.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
urnotme said:
Hola!

What are the speech freedoms of la republica? If i were to say distribute left wing literature to the people of the DR as a visitor from the U$A would it be allowed? if so would I be harrassed? Please let me know the guidelines..

Much Thanks!

What sort of a country do you think the DR is?? OF COURSE you are able to hand out whatever material you like & SAY whatever you want!!!! Those whom you upset have the same rights & can get the authorities to lock you up by false allegations & then you have to PROVE your innocence!!! Might take you a year or two to get to court & THEN another year or two to prove your point IF (& I stress IF) you are able to show what you wrote/said was not slanderous or libeless!!!

With respect though, what sort of political information could you pass on to the Dominicans that they don't know already? They KNOW how politics should work, they KNOW what democracy is, they KNOW about left/right/central political systems ...... it is just a matter of finding someone strong enough to carry through the policies to make these things work! Have you read Frank Moya Pons book 'The Dominican Republic - A natural history'? Do you know the history of Trujillo. Ballaguer, etc terms of office? I would be interested in your replies to these questions, so please respond!! - Grahame.
Someone who is careful about what he writes & says despite LIVING here for over 11 years, having some influential friends & good lawyer contacts!!!

urnotme

Feb 22, 2004
I'm talkin specifically of Syndicalist literature, a spanish translation of.. the same literature that we hand out here in the US and in other countries.. I'm pretty familiar with the history of the Island of Hispanola btw for those that wanted to know.. But I do also know that many "free speech" countries have legal penalties for distributing literature of dissent, or "anti-government" literature as they may call it, as it opposes capitalism..

Thanks For The Feedback

urnotme

Feb 22, 2004
"I hate left wingers"

Gotta respect anyone whos against the rights of the people and environment in the name of unregulated market ;)

bigD

Aug 11, 2003
are you saying the US has unregulated markets? you might want to explain that one to the Canadian lumber industry - or what about movie business - or ...

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Gotta respect anyone whos against the rights of the people and environment in the name of unregulated market

Yeah c'mon down and hand out your literature, I am sure that all this country is waiting for is to hear from YOU that they need to protect the environment and put even more controls and regulations on the market.

How stupid of me not to have realised this. All this time I could have been saving the DR from sliding down the toilet bowl... I wonder how many left-wing leaflets I can get out of this here inkjet before I need more eco-friendly ink cartridges? Maybe the shoe shine boys won't object to my capitalistic exploitation if it's only for a few more days, just long enough to hand out the leaflets... After that the free zone manufacturers will see the error of their ways and stop oppressing everybody. The president will realise that he was wrong and walk away from his office, and we can all go out and hug trees.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
urnotme said:
Hola!

Much Thanks!

Just make sure you print it on soft paper so it actually has a use here...

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Boy Are You Confused

urnotme said:
"I hate left wingers" ... Gotta respect anyone whos against the rights of the people ...
A lot of us live here exactly because of the lack of respect for the "rights of people" as you put it. In other countries who shall remain nameless, and so far in general unlike here, "left wingers" in their defence of these "rights of people" as you're putting it have eliminated the right to smoke, the right to use their cell phones, the right to playmusic in their own homes, the right to express their opinions when someone else whines 'he's being mean!', the right to discriminate, the right to use your own property as you see fit, the right even in many places even to paint your house purple polka-dots should you so choose because it might offend the neighbor by lowering his property value.

What folks here, and who have moved here, understand better than in many of those so-called civilized places, and what routinely escapes the minds of self-proclaimed left wingers is the the rights of the individual are being trampled in the name of the rights of the state or of society both of which are an abstract creation. not entitled to rights or protection, and which should at the very least be subservient to the rights of the individual which are paramount.

Put me on the list for some of those flyers, too. We have five bathrooms and we're always running out.

Tom aka XR I have the oldest typewriter in the world. It types in pencil.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Repeat after me:"Dominican Related,Dominican Related"!!!!

No posts about "World Communism,Leftism,Rightism,Capitalism,Confuciousism,Buddism,or "Priapism",,,except in the "Mars/Venus" Forum!!!

Would I as a foreign visitor pass out any political "Litterature" in the DR??????? **** No!!! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

urnotme

Feb 22, 2004
^^ I totally agree, I didn't come here for political debate, as that's not what my party is about, nor is Bourgiose Electoral Politics, I just asked a simple question about the legality of distributing political leaflets.. I'm getting different sorts of answers, "Its legal but don't do it" ?? Also I wouldnt be seen as a tourist american, as I'm latino..

thank you all for your input, even the misguided rightwingers :D

But could I please have a clear definite answer? If it is legal, but would most likely not be tolerated, what is the chance that i would severly harrased and imprissioned for it?

"Patriot: the person who can holler loudest without knowing what he is hollering about" - Mark Twain

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
There is no clear answer to that question, because just like in the wild west, following the law will not necessarily keep you out of jail here, nor will breaking it necessarily land you in it. Nor will the lack of a death penalty provide immunity from the "runaway law".

You come down here handing out anti-governent literature and you could either get very lucky and just be ignored or snickered at, or unlucky and have varying degrees of "bad" things happen to you.

An example could be the guy accused of demanding the president resign on a public website, this was nearly a year ago and last I heard he was still in jail, incomunicado and had not yet been formally charged with anything, since there are no specific laws against what he did. (It wasn't his website)

Those of us who live here avoid making direct specific attacks against government officials, even on this message board, though it is no secret that no one is happy with the current administration.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
urnotme said:
But could I please have a clear definite answer? If it is legal, but would most likely not be tolerated, what is the chance that i would severly harrased and imprissioned for it?

Repost the question in the Legal section. The lawyer who answers questions in that section doesn't go looking for questions in the other sections.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Your Answer Was Posted, You're Not Paying Attention.

urnotme said:
I just asked a simple question about the legality of distributing political leaflets.. I'm getting different sorts of answers, "Its legal but don't do it"? If it is likely not be tolerated, what is the chance that i would severly harrased and imprissioned for it? thank you all for your input, even the misguided "Patriot: the person who can holler loudest without knowing what he is hollering about" - Mark Twain [Order edited for clatity-ed.]
We go through this frequently here. Someone asks is it legal if I ... (fill in the blank: Take pictures of hookers, hire a prostitue, stop at a pare sign, drink while driving, run over motoconshistas while screaming 'Bonzai', etc.) ... In most cases there are no specific laws saying that you can not. But this is not Miami. Hell, it's not even San Francisco. Mike said it. Just because something is legal doesn't mean you won't get in a sh*load of trouble for doing it, and just because it's illegal doesn't mean you'll find a new love in prison over the next 30 years you're there. Do you understand? The definition of "Legal" is not a black and white here, it's more like a moving target. Generally with the people who want to harass you doing the moving, so you'd best be damned careful. Grahme explained everything you need to know here in the fifth post.Go read it asgain.

Please don't keep asking the same question just because the answer you're getting back isn't the one you want to hear. Don't believe it? Fine, ask Mr.Guzman. But all he'll say is whether it's legal or not which leads you right back to the same conundrum.

Tom aka XR I spilled spot remover on my dog. He's gone now.

P.S.
Don't y'all just love it when you make a finely reasoned argument like the one explaining how many people moved here to the DR to avoid the trampling of their individual rights, exactly how that happens elsewhere, and that it doesn't happen here, and the only response is a one-line-non-sequitur slogan being shouted back? That's another reason I left. People passionately not being able to argue their way out of a wet-paper-sack. :: sigh :: What a waste of time.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
As Ken said,"Post Your Question In The LEGAL FORUM!"

I think you have enough information,given in "good Faith", here to make your own decision! You may be a "Latino",but you are not a "Dominicano"!
Thread Closed! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Status
Not open for further replies.