Happenings around town. Where to find?

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Where do I look to find schedules of things happening in Santo Domingo? I've tried to look in the online newspapers but I can't find anything. But then I really don't know which section to look in since my spanish isn't that great.
I'm looking for art exibits, bands playing in the bars, any special events, concerts in the parks.

So please, where does one go to find this info? Even if I need to buy a newspaper to do it which day do they post all the info?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Recently a nice little work called

OCIO came out. Sponsored by Red Bull..among others. Actually it is the 2nd Anniversary edition that I have....

Has a section on the North and another on the South. names a lot of the "in' spots ..Has a day-by-day schedule of good things.

Thursday 26 (Santo Domingo)
-Special de martinis en jasmine from 6:00 pm.
-After work in XXO from 6 o'clock
-Thursday for ladies in Camelot, 6-10 pm
-2 x 1 on all drinks at Montecristo, 6- 10 pm
-Music of Victor Mitrov at Portobello from 8:30 pm

and two columns more.

Pretty cool

HB

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Buy "El Caribe" paper every Thursday

There is a Thursday supplement called "Bureo" that has listing of restaurants, and some illustrated coverage of what's hot and what's new (mostly in Santo Domingo) and the rest of the country. Some movie reivew and preview to what's coming up. Well worth a browse.

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
I always recommend the Bonche website, but if that isn't enough check out www.Uepa.com they have info on almost everything happening in SD.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Thanks all for the help. I'll check out the newspaper on Thursday. Checked all the sites and still haven't found all I'm looking for. Bonche only has a few bar happenings. I am more interested in the parks and such. Like the free concerts in the parks. When does the military bands play and where. Parades. Art exibits.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'd also like to know about free concerts in the parks. We love going to them but they don't seem to follow any set schedule.

Chiri

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Not free, but almost

Chirimoya said:
I'd also like to know about free concerts in the parks. We love going to them but they don't seem to follow any set schedule.

Chiri

Why not try the National Symphony concert series (tonight, March 3rd and March 10th) ? The cheapest ticket is only RD$50 ! Plus you can get free Dewar wiskies (have to line up!) pre-concert, during intermission, and post-concert.

Oh, yeah, and they play some decent music :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I would love to, but my cultural/social life is currently limited by parenthood of a three-year old, and I imagine it is not possible to take him to this sort of concert. He does love music, though, and the free concerts in the park are great for him. If there is anything similar where a three year old's presence would be tolerated, please let me know. It doesn't have to be free! I was thinking of taking him to the dinner concert at the Vizcaya restaurant last Friday, but couldn't make it in the end.

Chiri