Moving to The DR in March!

sandman2570

Feb 25, 2004
Greetings,

I have been lurking in the message board for about 6 months reading all your posts about the DR! I went to the DR back in May of 2003 and fell in Love instantly. I have traveled the world extensively and must say the people in the Dominican are the friendliest people i have ever met. The coulture, the weather, and most of all the Beaches are just awesome. After thinking about it hard for the last 6 months i decided on a giant leap and am moving to the DR. I have been looking at some ads about apartments in Santo Domingo and am wandering about what areas are good and what are bad. It seems the closer i get to the colonial zone the cheaper it seems for me. I am also going to be looking for work their. Is their any suggestions about Jobs for americans their. Not many posted on the Web. I would love any help anyone could give me. With eather a name or number of someone who is renting an apartment who is not going to rip off the new gringo. Any leads on jobs would help too. Thanks MIKE!!!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
For some leads in the real estate deal go to www.super-casas.com to check out whats on offer in the Dominican Republic. They cover all types of real estate nationwide. Santo Domingo's nice neighborhoods are many, as are the bad ones too. If you want to be in a nice neighborhood, but close to the Colonial Zone, maybe La Esperilla neighborhood maybe for you. Also, Gazcue is nice. Avoid San Carlos and anything directly north of the Colonial Zone since those areas are quite rundown, it's a shame especially north of the Colonial Zone since many buildings there reminds me of the Art Deco section of Miami Beach. The Colonial Zone is a nice area to live if you don't mind the tourists from time to time and the general noise of some parts of the Colonial Zone. If money is of no concern to you, head straight to the complex along the ocean front known as the Malecon Center. It's three towers of 30 floors each. Two towers accomodate two apartments per floor while the third tower is penthouses per floor. There is also a new luxury hotel attached to the complex and at the base or streetlevel is a new shopping mall that is still filling it self with stores. You get spectacular views of the city, the sea, and beyond from there. Also, apartments along Avenida Anacaona are nice because of the expansive park across the street, perfect for jogging in the mornings or evenings. Naco and Piantini are nice areas but, those areas are marked for being turned into a form of "downtown" alternative to the rundown downtown north of the Colonial Zone. Any major changes in the Naco or Piantini neighborhoods won't be in for a good couple of years, or until the economy starts flying high again. Bella Vista and Los Cacigasco are nice areas as is the Arroyo Hondo area. There are other neighborhoods, but these are the nice ones I know best. Try searching on that site I provided above and may God make your move the DR the best thing for you. Take care.

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Apartment in Santo Domingo

I have a really nice apto in Gazcue for rent - maybe too big for you as its 3 bed with Cuarto servicio. Anyway if you're interested send me a PM. I'm not in the apartment rental business I just have the one place.

Regards Paul

santodocam

Feb 11, 2004
Re 3 Bdrm

Freemo said:
I have a really nice apto in Gazcue for rent - maybe too big for you as its 3 bed with Cuarto servicio. Anyway if you're interested send me a PM. I'm not in the apartment rental business I just have the one place.

Regards Paul

I am looking for a 2-3 bedroom in Gazcue. I live in a 1-bdrm now on in Gazcue and need more room. Please send me more details to cmoschella@hotmail.com.

Freemo

May 26, 2003
3 bed apto

santodocam said:
I am looking for a 2-3 bedroom in Gazcue. I live in a 1-bdrm now on in Gazcue and need more room. Please send me more details to cmoschella@hotmail.com.
Hi Santodocam
I have just emailed you the details you requested.
Regards Paul

Audreyc

Mar 1, 2004
Nice studio Apt. Sea view

I have a really nice-new- furnished studio apto. In George Washington Av. (Malecon) for rent.
If you want to see it call me. Or email me.

AudreyC. 566-2255