Motorcycle.

zx7jimbo

Feb 25, 2004
I have got a sweet opportunity to move to DR in September for the winters. Going in March to check out some houses what have you. ANyways, I am an avid motorcyclist in Canada and would definately like to get myself on a nice bike when I move there, Sosua. I ride crotch rockets in Canada but don't see the need for one in DR, however a nice XR 600 or something along those lines would be outstanding.

Ok, so ya, any ideas as to costs?

Do you know if it is affordable/worth the cost and effort to ship a bike down from Canada?

and... anyone wanna go riding? :)

James

vorr111

Feb 25, 2004
DR Bikes

James

I'm an avid rider myself. I raced an zx6r and a rs125 back in the states and after being here for almost 6 months, and knowing how bad Dominican Drivers are, there is no way in H*LL I would have a sport bike in the DR. I have lived in 4 countries and have visited a lot more and Dominican drivers are ABSOLUTLY the WORST drivers on the planet. PERIOD! I have seen a few sport bikes here and they are all beat to hell bent up pieces of you know what. In addition the roads are equally bad, pot holes and gravel on every corner. If you must have a bike get some kind of enduro/offroad-onroad bike, like a DT (quite a few down here) and take out a REALLY good insurance policy.

Later
Glenn

zx7jimbo

Feb 25, 2004
vorr111 said:
James

I'm an avid rider myself. I raced an zx6r and a rs125 back in the states and after being here for almost 6 months, and knowing how bad Dominican Drivers are, there is no way in H*LL I would have a sport bike in the DR. I have lived in 4 countries and have visited a lot more and Dominican drivers are ABSOLUTLY the WORST drivers on the planet. PERIOD! I have seen a few sport bikes here and they are all beat to hell bent up pieces of you know what. In addition the roads are equally bad, pot holes and gravel on every corner. If you must have a bike get some kind of enduro/offroad-onroad bike, like a DT (quite a few down here) and take out a REALLY good insurance policy.

Later
Glenn

I hear ya buddy. Tis, why I mentioned that an XR 600 or something like that would be what I am looking for. I sure as h#ll am not going ot ride one of those DT 125/175 POS things.. haha.

I did however see that there is a sport bike racing club in Santo Domingo. Ummm... I have been racing zx7's for a few years, I ride a zx9R on the street and was going to get a zx10 this summer but yeah.. going to DR kind of put a kybosh on those plans. Basically I am trying to get all my eggs in one basket... live in the DR, hang out with awesome females, drink mega cheap booze and ride motorcycles (not necessarily in that order) my life would be complete!

James

zx7jimbo

Feb 25, 2004
Just so I don't get flamed... people, I NEVER DRINK AND RIDE! motorcycles that is. Wow, am I ever thirsty.

Speaking of drinking and riding, anyone ever take that donkey trail up that mountain, to that big ole statue, near Puerto Plata? Its a good time.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Wise advice---take it!

Just yesterday as I was waiting for a cab to take me back home from the university, a car pulled up with a young man sporting a nice shiner in the passenger seat. It stopped right next to. I asked: "What does the other fello look like?"

?t wasn't a fight".

"A motorcycle

? nod. "Yeah a Ninja"

Seems a guy walked out into the street, against the light; this guy, with no phuckin' helmet, mind you, had to bury the bike. He doesn't really remember a lot. Spent 4 days in the clinic getting put back together...About RD$25000..

Hillbilly sez: "Ride a bike, stop the population explosion"

HB

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
motos08.gif
zx7jimbo said:
Basically I am trying to get all my eggs in one basket... live in the DR, hang out with awesome females, drink mega cheap booze and ride motorcycles (not necessarily in that order) my life would be complete!

James

LIFE IS GOOD!!
John :laugh:

Last edited:

Coastal

Jul 14, 2003
Jimbo,

to give you an example, I am getting ready to sell my new Honda XR 400 R (received as a gift but no time to ride) for around $ 4000 usd and expect a quick sell at that price. Yamaha YZ 125's are abundant and less expensive, around $ 2500 usd or so new I would guess. Most new 4 stroke enduro type bikes start in the upper $ 3000 usd range for 250's I believe. There's a guy that sells KTM's in Cabarete and another fellow in Sosua who sells Hondas if you want to pm me I'll give you their info. This is a great place for off-road riding and I'm sure you'll have a blast.

BTW, I would not recommend bringing ANY motor vehicle into this country as you will almost certainly regret it ( I made that mistake once). But I would strongly advise you to bring your helmet and other riding gear with you as you will have more selection there and at greater savings!

Gregory

zx7jimbo

Feb 25, 2004
Hillbilly... just to let you know, I am old enough to know better yet still young enough not to care! (or however that old saying goes). But yeah, I hear ya..

John.... you ARE right. life is good and can only get better.

Gregory... thanks bro. $4g's US for an XR 400... and a quick sell, yikes! A KTM would be sweet though! I'll get back to you when the time comes. And no time to ride? Some people work way to hard. haha. Thanks for the advice buddy.

Festero

Dec 15, 2002
You will appreciate some suspension

The roads have many, many really nasty potholes ... often filled with water where you can't even tell how deep they are before you dive forks first into them. Mud, rocks, sand galore.

An enduro type bike will be far more practical. The importance of elevated defensive driving in the DR not only applies to the vehicles, donkeys, etc., but the roads as well.

While you may appreciate the thrill a twist of the wrist offers, having a bike in the DR that won't go too fast will be a built-in insurance policy for self preservation. A few too many Presidentes... on the way home late at night on a dark road... hello senor burro! You may think this is absurd, but there is no need to exceed 50-60 mph in the DR and your are better off - really.

Another mandatory item... a nice long heavy duty cable lock. When I lived there my wimpy but dutiful DT125 had many theft attempts on it. I finally gave up having the ignition lock repaired.

One afternoon while sitting in a restaurant on the Malecon in Pto Pta with my bike locked by a padlock in the rear sprocket.... minimal security because I was right there in the open restaurant right on the street... some ladrone jacked the ignition lock with a screw driver, started it up and tried to ride it away. By this time I had jumped the wall of the restaurant and was running after him after he realized the bike was locked and dumped it on the ground. Couldn't catch him to pound the **** out of him but gave him the run of his life.

The lesson is - do not underestimate the level of effort the thieves will go to to steal your wheels.

Keeping yourself alive and your bike in your possession will be a full time job in the DR. Wherever you keep it at night, it MUST be really, really secure.

- Festero del Norte

zx7jimbo

Feb 25, 2004
Festero.

Figured as much. I lived in a house here in winnipeg for 2 years and didn't have a good place to store my bike so... yeah thats right, you guessed it.. I parked it in my livingroom. Sure my place smelled like gas and I trembled with fear each time I lit a cigarette .. but I knew she was safe!

I hear ya though. Thanks for the advise bro.

James

palmas

Jan 7, 2002
someone tell me more.

My husband and I have been discussing a possible move there as well. We already have a house in Sosua, a job offer for both of us, and some wonderful friends there.

Now, in reference to "motorcycle".

My husband has a 2002 Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre which has become his 2nd wife. Thank goodness I'm still his first. Living in Windsor, Ontario Canada, he only rides his bike during the months of April - October (weather pending). Considering a move to the D.R. is becoming difficult because of his motorcycle. I don't ride, but have heard it is an adreniline rush, a passion and an addiction when you own a motorcycle. He dreams of riding through some of those mountain roads that we have become so familiar with when driving there. I have read many of the negative threads regarding shipping your vehicle there and fully agree, but I have not been able to find anything on a Motorcycle. I remember seeing a Honda motorcycle place in Sosua, but do not know if anything can be arranged through them or even purchase another Honda Sabre through them. The only Motorcycles I see there, besides the Motoconcho's 125, are Harleys. I know there is a dealership in Santo Domingo, but his Honda is his baby.

Any info or help from someone?

Please be gentle with me in your responses. I am only the wife of someone who has a passion for riding his motorcycle responsibly. I can also become the so called "wife tax" if we can't figure out a way to get his bike down there or similar options available to us.

Gracias,
Anabela (palmas)

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Nearly a year ago I checked on bringing my 2002 Harley down. Import tax was quoted at 30% of value which the tax people established as US$22000. I didn't think it was worth paying US$6600 not including shipping but things may change. I've heard some say they bring them in as parts and reassemble but no idea what is done for the title. Good luck and best wishes.

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
:)))))

Import a CBR 400RR from the UK (doubt you can find one here)... keep it on the mountains (to Moca from Sabaneta etc.), off the main roads and enjoy scrapin pegs.... and just like any other country... gear up with a helmet, jacket and full pants.

Riding a motorcycle is dangerous anywhere... **** an emergency stop can put someone in the hospital... the idiots here lack the intelligence to gear up with a DOT helmet (rather than a baseball helmet) and an appropriate riding jacket.

Riding in the US myself... I would love to get a bike here and I will one day... just have not found the one I want.

GG

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have recently purchased

12 locales in the Sosua cemetary. I will sell each of you riders one, now ahead of time so your family won't get taken..hehehe

My prices are fair. Let's say, uuuummmm, oh US$4000 a plot? And I'll have your name and DOB-DOD put onthe cover, for free??

Best Vehicle for DR driving? A Bradley!

Next best: Kenworth with a 16 speed gearbox,

Next? Let's see...Oh, maybe a Toyota Land Cruiser, GMC 4 x 4 or a Humvee...

Bikes, like I used to ride, are for motoconcho drivers and the folks that have moved up from burros to Honda 50s or 70s.

A Honda Shadow in this country? Okay, if you have a gazillion dollar insurance policy, humongeous salary and you live in Santo Domingo, Juan Dolio or La Romana.....all "sine qua nons". Picture this: 6:30 in the evening, December, you are whizzing down the main highway towards Cabarete, you catch some movement out of the side of your eye, you look, you see cows, you look back, and WHAM you just hit the blackest dumbest cow on the road. As you fly through the air, your last thoughts are: " That phuckin' Hillbilly wasn't half hard enough on me! Schitt!...Oh,.....Hello God!"

And folks, this is from a guy that used to drive his Honda back and forth to Santo Domingo in under 5 hours--on the OLD HIGHWAY!!!!! With no helmet, no brains and God's Own Angel on his shoulder!! And that's a fact! ( There were less than 3.6 million Dominicans then, but it was still foolish)

HB, who is lovin' gettin' on in life.....7+ g'kids and countin'

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It would be possible but

If you don't speak excellent Spanish, you could not have done the errands that i did in Santo Domingo, within the same 5 hours!!

And, I have to admit there were quite a few "Pucker up" moments....

HB

Famous Hillbilly last words: "Hey, y'all, watch this!"

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
The bottom line is, if you want it, you can find it here. I always look in amazment at the kids riding duk's around here.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
http://www.cibermercado.com.do/(w5gwzw55uititc2q4yysfmjt)/reg/do/usados_advlist.aspx?lian=phobos&province=ignore&marcaUH=ignore&marcaU=ignore&modeloU=ignore&cartype=15&vs_price_rd_min=0&vs_price_rd_max=9000000&vs_ano_min=1976&vs_ano_max=2004

Take a look at the bottom of the list. There are currently a kawi and gixxer available. Both 2001 models. Asking price of both is 160,000 pesos or around $3,400 USD right now.