I love the DR!!

anginmichigan

Dec 29, 2003
Hello, I just got back from the DR, Cabarete on Sat. Let me tell you I fell in love with it, and the people. What a wondrful place. I went with my family, we stayed @ the Palm Beach Condos, which are so nice, and right in the center of everything!! The people who work there are absolutely amazing.

All of the restaurants and bars were great. I'm so happy we decided to not do the AI, instead we got to experience the DR and all of the wonderful people, who are so nice.

We took a trip to Sousa, which was also great, and even found Rocky's to stop and get a beer ( I kept hearing about it on here, so we had to go)

Thanks again for all the info on this board, I wish everyone could experince the DR, it is truely beautiful. I cannot wait to go back next year!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Good report; glad it worked out so well.

I grew up in Michigan so know how the winters are. That is one of the reasons I now live in Sosua.

Guillermo P?rez

Feb 13, 2004
anginmichigan said:
Hello, I just got back from the DR, Cabarete on Sat. Let me tell you I fell in love with it, and the people. What a wondrful place. I went with my family, we stayed @ the Palm Beach Condos, which are so nice, and right in the center of everything!! The people who work there are absolutely amazing.

All of the restaurants and bars were great. I'm so happy we decided to not do the AI, instead we got to experience the DR and all of the wonderful people, who are so nice.

We took a trip to Sousa, which was also great, and even found Rocky's to stop and get a beer ( I kept hearing about it on here, so we had to go)

Thanks again for all the info on this board, I wish everyone could experince the DR, it is truely beautiful. I cannot wait to go back next year!!

This is a place where people don't have much... but share everything they are and have.
Where the blue of the sea is so piercing, you don't know where the sea ends and the sky begins.
Where everyone is an instant friend.
Where the light and the contrast makes everything come alive... you just feel alive here.
Glad you had a good time.

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
i love dominican republic more than nyc. i plan to moved to dominican republic one day. dominican republic is like the paradise.

viva republica dominicana!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Good to hear you had a good time!

Now you have been, which bars would you recommend in Cabarete, for dancing 'n' drinking around good numbers of people?

Winnipegger

Oct 17, 2003
tired_boy said:
Good to hear you had a good time!

Now you have been, which bars would you recommend in Cabarete, for dancing 'n' drinking around good numbers of people?

Onno's is THE place. It doesnt get going till late but very crowded later on. Bamboo hut is also good and a little less crowded and right next door to Onno's. The Dominican place down the beach is great with a more DR flavor and more dominicans. Can get crowded also. Why cant I remember the name of it??

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Thanks for the info.
We are off to Playa Dorada in June and have only once been in Cabarete at night. When we go this time we are taking some 'first-timers', and we wanted to go out at night to a few different places.
Ta!

anginmichigan

Dec 29, 2003
Bars in Cabarete

WE loved all of them, some favorite nighttime spots were Bamboo and the place next to Bamboo, I can't really remember the name, but going back and forthe between the two of them was pretty much the norm. Also lots of good places to eat, we love Cabarete Blue, good food and service!
Enjoy all of it! If you hit up Lax, which is a hot spot for drinks and dinner, tell Omar that Lindsay said hello!

altinkerbell

Feb 7, 2004
Cabarete Bars

Definetly hit up Bamboo. We had a super good time there. Staff is super nice and was always a lot of people.

Bottomfisher

Oct 19, 2002
Cabarete Palm Beach Condos - DO NOT STAY THERE

Cabarete Palm Beach Condo's - DO NOT STAY THERE

---- All Posts by Bottomfisher are Opinions Based on Personal Experience ----

In 1999-2002, Cabarete Palm Beach Condo's (PBC) seemed on a RELATIVE basis worthy of being called luxury (see their website) ONLY because most of the other places were near shanty-quality (maybe not so bad but really not nice). However, in the past 3 years, Azzurro, Windham Viva Tangerine, and others are now reconstructed/refurbished/new and are FAR nicer. Making matters worse, Cabarete PBC is now a total rip off ($175/night and they have the balls to charge for Internet service on top of it and for a key for the safe!) on a relative basis and absolute basis, particularly since the insides are OLD and falling apart, and your views of the ocean from the high floor can be blocked by palm trees on the beach anyway. The pool is tiny and was cold when we jumped in the first few days.

If you want quality, stay elsewhere and a) get a price 1/2 of this place and b) 4 times nicer w/ better views. Until they cut their prices by at least 1/2 (which they should have done by now already due to their labor costs plummetting on the 2/3 peso devaluation -- they pay staff mostly in pesos -- and due to competition), and put some real money into improving the properties (our kitchenette had oven that didn't work and was so old the front of it came unglued from frame), there is NO reason to stay there in my view. Furthermore, the arrogance level of the owners is huge (like you'd expect from a place that USED to be the best but can't admit it now sucks), which moves its way to the staff (many of which are rude also).

Speaking of the staff, after "business hours" there is nobody at any kind of front desk to route calls to your room or help if you need something -- something any high priced hotel/condo should have but they appear to cheap to staff the office 24/7, despite rock bottom labor costs.

Feel free to send feedback, as maybe there is some reason to stay at a place like this that I can't comprehend.

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Arrogance..

Bottomfisher said:
Cabarete Palm Beach Condo's - DO NOT STAY THERE

Furthermore, the arrogance level of the owners is huge (like you'd expect from a place that USED to be the best but can't admit it now sucks).

If it's the same owners as years before, their arrogance is just the tip of the iceberg.

Bottomfisher

Oct 19, 2002
The Arrogance is Scary at Cabarete Palm Beach Condos

Rocky said:
If it's the same owners as years before, their arrogance is just the tip of the iceberg.

Rocky,

What was your experience?

Bottomfisher