Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Restaurants closing in droves in Santo Domingo

Just when the dining scene in Santo Doming is branching out and getting more diverse (the whole "fusion" cuisine is very "in" ), out came this article on El Caribe titled "Los restaurantes se van a pique"

http://www.elcaribe.com.do/articulo_...A80&Seccion=69

The article does point out that some pricey restaurants are seemingly immune to the downturn as their weathly clientele keep patronizing.
    Makes me wonder which ones they are. David Crockett ? Vesuvio ?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in david crockett a few months back and it was full. They don't even have a sign outside but their clientes know where its located. Its a fancy place where the prices are kept high and the quality is unmatched by many. There were no empty tables and everyone needed reservations to dine. The food was excellent especially the mixed grill meat dish. It had a bit of everything from the grill including the most delicious fillet mignon I had ever eaten in DR. All the clients were of upper dominican class (rich) and there were many dominican celebraties among them.
    My host was the neuro-surgeon (dominican), so thanks god I didn't have to pay the bill. It was really expensive.
    I have no reason to believe that this restaurant would be suffering in any form due to downturn in economy. They must have raised their prices to match the falling pesos. People who frequent there, don't even look at the bill, they just flip out the credit card and the business is settled.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I ate in Pizza Hut on the Conde two evenings a couple of weeks ago. Both nights it was crowded. I'll be in SD for a few nights during the coming week and will be interested in whether it is again crowded.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Last weekend ate at Pepperoni's near the the Embajador hotel. Ate sashimi in an Italian restaurant in Santo Domingo - it was excellent. It was also busy and not cheap.