Are You Traveling With Kids To SD??

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
On my latest trip to Santo Domingo, from Feb 13th to the 22nd, I went to 2 places that you can take your kids for fun and games. One is better than the other. I will tell you my opinion of both:

1- Funtastico at the Plaza Central (on Winston Churchill Avenue). It's a place with many videos games, air hockey tables, and other Coney Island-type games. Be very careful because the place is a little pricey. Tokens are $ 10.00 pesos each. Some games, like the basketball game, takes 2 tokens. All would be fine and dandy if the games were for more than 2 to 3 minutes. You could spend at least $5,000 pesos in a matter of minutes, depending on how many kids you take with you. I took 5 kids and within 30 minutes my girlfriend and I were out of more than $2,000 pesos. I played air hockey with Amber and I timed the time and it was exactly 3 minutes for 2 tokens.

2- Arcada, right next to The Beer House (DR1 had a reunion there once, on Winston Churchill Avenue also). This place is much better than Funtastico for the simple fact that it has much more outdoor games. It has trampolines, merry-go-round, go karts, bumpy cars, water slide, mini cyclone and other games. The price is 10 tickets for $130 pesos. It's pricier than Funtastico but the difference is that the games are much longer. For example, the bumpy cars can last up to 20 minutes per ticket, the trampoline is about 20 minutes also. All the other games are more than 7 minutes each. We had a great time there and did not spent so much. We even had some tickets left.

NYC_Girl

Apr 15, 2003
We might have bumped into each other.
I was in SD 02/12 - 02/22. We celebrated my daughters 5th birthday at Arcada on the 21st. It was great for the kids because there were so many different rides. The older kids loved the go karts. You're right about some of the rides being long, there was one that kept going and going...

All in all, the kids had a great time.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
You where?????

NYC_Girl said:
We might have bumped into each other.
I was in SD 02/12 - 02/22. We celebrated my daughters 5th birthday at Arcada on the 21st. It was great for the kids because there were so many different rides. The older kids loved the go karts. You're right about some of the rides being long, there was one that kept going and going...

All in all, the kids had a great time.
The last time that I was there was on the 21st, just like you. we left right before they started closing. I was with 2 kids, friend Frank, my girlfriend and I. I was the funny looking old man with white hair on the side. Well, you will see my pics soon on the gallery and maybe you can see if you saw me. We were all over the place. Everyone had a great, great time.

NYC_Girl

Apr 15, 2003
We were there from about 4:30 pm - 8:00 pm or later.
I was with my three kids, husband and we invited cousins, and other relatives.
I'm going to post my pics from that day, I'll look at yours, we probably did bump into each other.
That would be funny.
Don't tell me you live in NY.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
And the Chirimoya family was there on Saturday... are we talking about the same day?

Chiri

NYC_Girl

Apr 15, 2003
Yeah.
Last Saturday (02/21), it started to rain on and off around 5:00

This is funny, we had a DR1 reunion without even knowing it.

I'm posting some pictures from that day. We were with a bunch of cousins, aunts, uncles, friends.

There were a couple of birthday parties going on that day.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
No

NYC_Girl said:
We were there from about 4:30 pm - 8:00 pm or later.
I was with my three kids, husband and we invited cousins, and other relatives.
I'm going to post my pics from that day, I'll look at yours, we probably did bump into each other.
That would be funny.
Don't tell me you live in NY.
I did lived in NY for 24 years and relocated to PA 5 years ago. It would truly be funny.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Yes

Chirimoya said:
And the Chirimoya family was there on Saturday... are we talking about the same day?

Chiri
We were there on Saturday, just like you Chiri. But maybe at a different time since you would have recognized Amber, since the two of you know each other. We were there from about 7pm to 10pm.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Spooky! We arrived at 4:30 and left at about 7:00, because we were meeting someone at home at 7:30.

So sorry to have missed you!

Chiri

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Indeed

Chirimoya said:
Spooky! We arrived at 4:30 and left at about 7:00, because we were meeting someone at home at 7:30.

So sorry to have missed you!

Chiri
I told Amber about it and she could not believe it. Anyways, maybe next time.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
NYC_Girl, where are the pics? It would be so funny if we turned up in them.

Miguel, definitely next time.

Chiri

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
Wow!!

:( I can?t believe I missed one of my favorite people in DR1!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Chiri!!! How many more coincidences do we need??? lol You left just as we arrived.. go figure! And I did see the remains of two birthday parties upon arrival NYC girl. Was yours near the merrygoround or the one further down?

You know, we might consider a different type of DR1 reunion one of these days for those of us with kids to go to Arcadas together. Might be either lots of fun or absolute mayhem.. lol
:cheeky:

NYC_Girl

Apr 15, 2003
Hi,

I uploaded the pictures, I don't see them posted yet. Maybe they took the day off for Independence Day??

Hopefully they'll put the pictures up soon.

We were closer to the go karts. But I was all over. My two youngest (3 and 5) wanted to get on different rides than their brother who is 11.

It would be nice to get together with the kids. I'm hoping to go down in the summer. We only had 10 days this time and it was so short.

Definitely keep in touch.

Lucy

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The photos are in the media gallery

Well, Lucy, I do remember seeing you! At one stage we were sheltering from the rain and my son went on the little train ride they have indoors, I think yours was on it at the same time. Have a look in the media gallery, there is a pic of us both taken at Ocean World last month (on P23, he is even wearing the same t shirt he was on the day we were at Arcadas) and see if you make the connection. We were at Arcadas with some other friends. I was wearing a black t shirt and olive green shorts.

Makes you wonder how many near-misses DR1 members have. Maybe we should wear discreet pins so we can recognise each other, or some version of the masonic handshake! ;) I sometimes wear a DR1 t shirt and as a result at least two people have started conversations with me about DR1. One turned out to be an occasional poster on the forum.

Amber and Miguel - I am so happy for you! The photos are lovely. I would have been even happier if we'd all met up though...

Chiri

Last edited:

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
:( me too chiri!

I wish we had seen each other!! Definetly next time God willing!

PS thanks for your good wishes ;)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
thanks

Chirimoya said:
Well, Lucy, I do remember seeing you! At one stage we were sheltering from the rain and my son went on the little train ride they have indoors, I think yours was on it at the same time. Have a look in the media gallery, there is a pic of us both taken at Ocean World last month (on P23, he is even wearing the same t shirt he was on the day we were at Arcadas) and see if you make the connection. We were at Arcadas with some other friends. I was wearing a black t shirt and olive green shorts.

Makes you wonder how many near-misses DR1 members have. Maybe we should wear discreet pins so we can recognise each other, or some version of the masonic handshake! ;) I sometimes wear a DR1 t shirt and as a result at least two people have started conversations with me about DR1. One turned out to be an occasional poster on the forum.

Amber and Miguel - I am so happy for you! The photos are lovely. I would have been even happier if we'd all met up though...

Chiri
Thanks Chiri. We WILL get together on my next trip. Psss, don't tell Amber since it will be a surprise. Take care.

NYC_Girl

Apr 15, 2003
I think I do remember seeing your son.
I spent a lot of time around that train ride, my son didn't want to get off.
When it stopped raining most kids went outside, at times he was the only one on the train.

It would be nice to one day meet in person.

Take care,
Lucy

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Next time let's set something up - PM me before you arrive.

Talldrink was here over the weekend but we didn't manage to meet up.

Chiri