motorscooters?

karuna

Feb 12, 2004
the last time I was on the north coast, in Cofresi, in 1986, I got around by renting small motorscooters. I wil be going to Sosua in late March. Are these bikes still available for renting? Also, are regular bicycles available? many thanks.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Many people don't recommend using motorscooters because of the state of the roads and because of some of the dominican driving skills. However if you still wanted to i am sure that you will be able to rent one.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Pasolas (scooters)

Pasolas are still available to rent in tourist towns, however a lot of things have changed since 1986.
There are nowhere near as many to be found, as the price of cars has come down so much that the car rental business is now the big business and 2 wheelers are a bit uncommon, The roads are a bit better and you can rent some of those wide tire scooters that get through the potholes a lot better than those old Honda Leads did with their tiny little tires. The downside is that now that the price of cars has come down, the roads are 100 times busier than they were in '86 and a scooter is rather slow for going down the highway, so if you do rent one, stay over to the right, watch your mirrors and make sure that your tail lights work.
Marco.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Sure, if your tail lights work you will be in the top 50% of quality pasolas.

Man, I would sooner take public trans before driving one of those P.O.S's in the DR. I got 2 blowouts in November in my Isuzu Rodeo fer heavens sake. THey have holes big enough to lose the bike and never find the damn thing. When it rains you can't tell a hole from a puddle.

NO ONE I know has gotten a year in without cracking one up.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Can't argue with that

Unquestionably a dangerous form of transport, but if you are going to do it anyway, be careful.
Marco.

Tonynocker

Feb 17, 2004
Just got back from a week on the north coast. I have been on bikes for over 20 years and I wouldn't even drive a car down there if I could avoid it. Just not worth the risk for a weeks trip.

karuna

Feb 12, 2004
thansk-re: motorscooters

Thanks so much for the responses. I assumed the area was different from 1986! Thanks....I assume bicycles are tricky, too, due to traffic.
Karuna

Rocky said:
Pasolas are still available to rent in tourist towns, however a lot of things have changed since 1986.
There are nowhere near as many to be found, as the price of cars has come down so much that the car rental business is now the big business and 2 wheelers are a bit uncommon, The roads are a bit better and you can rent some of those wide tire scooters that get through the potholes a lot better than those old Honda Leads did with their tiny little tires. The downside is that now that the price of cars has come down, the roads are 100 times busier than they were in '86 and a scooter is rather slow for going down the highway, so if you do rent one, stay over to the right, watch your mirrors and make sure that your tail lights work.
Marco.

karuna

Feb 12, 2004
thanks 2 -scooters

thanks everyone who advised me. I have this romantic image of the last time I was in Cofresi with my (then) lover. We drove those scooters everywhere and never spilled. I can imagine how things have changed...
Gracias. Karuna