Virus scare...

C

carol

Sorry to say this but if there is a health threat at the moment, it's not such a great time to visit. My daughter gets sick very easily and in the past I had not considered the DR because of this. Not because it's a place for people to get sick (so don't get the wrong impression about this) but because if there is a tropical ailment, she'll catch it. No one wants to spend their vacation or after their vacation sick, or nursing someone back to health.

My husband and I will most likely make a trip in the future, alone for the first time. We can stand the change in climate and I believe our immune systems will enjoy Punta Cana from what I'm reading :)

Carol

K

Kevin Hill

Nobody can make the decision for you but my advice to you and others in your position would be to keep this thing in context. Yes, its true that many people here have suffered illness as a result of this outbreak and a few people (mainly elderly) are reported to have died from symtoms believed to be related to a type of viral infection. Whilst this is very sad, put in context amongst a population of over 8 million, it can hardly be so alarmingly classed as an 'epidemic'. Many other countries around the world suffer from similiar outbreaks of this nature, almost on a yearly basis, but which never attract such hysterical reaction.

Too many well meaning people, many unconnected with the DR, have a habit of over-reacting on issues like this with their uneccessary scare mongering. A similar scare was broadcast on TV in England last year which succeeded in causing untold damage to the tourism industry upon which the DR economy relies heavily for the creation of revenue and jobs. Although proven later to contain numerous innacuracies the damage this broadcast unleashed caused many knock-on effects thru the year. That said, and before others react, I have no connection or personal affiliation with the tourism industry. I just hate to see peoples livlihoods incur such damage as the result of this type of un-researched, ill-informed, and alarmist information.

It may be advisable for you to read the DR1 daily bulletins on this issue and also check with your local travel agent to find out if THEY are advising you not to travel.

And my opinion, for what's it worth, is that you probably have more chance of getting knocked down by a motor-concho than contracting this virus .......... so come and enjoy!

C

carol

Re: Virus scare...totally misunderstood me

Hi :)

Yes, I could die in an airplane accident. That's true too, but that isn't what I was talking about. I'm not alarmed or even scared. I'd come to the DR in a second, at the drop of a hat, in a flash; wouldn't have to ask me twice :) But I don't have a reservation. I was just speculating on the fact that some people get sick easier than others. I don't mean deathly ill, I mean sick! Some people catch colds faster and flues worse than others do.

If *I* had reservations right this minute to come this week, I would personally have to cancel them. My daughter Mary has a weak immune system and seems to catch everything around her. Now why would I take her on vacation for any other reason than to have a blast?

Do you sew where I'm coming from now? Not a death scare, simply a personal precaution for our family. Why jump into the fire when you know it's hot?

Carol

K

Kevin Hill

Well it seems as if you've answered your own question Carol. NO - I didn't misunderstand your original query at all - I read your question with the upmost of care. I gave gave you an honest opinion of what I thought, and know, as someone who lives in the DR, and also advised on other measures I thought you might take. I apologise if you consider I misunderstood you. In my humble way, I tried my upmost to allay your fears, and encourage you to travel to the DR. It appears that whatever encouragement one might give, you already have your mind made up - why then, ask your original question?

C

carol

I give up. LOL!!!!!!!!!! I would travel there in a minute is what I had said.

Carol

M

Mike

I am very "Real" as I anticipate taking my family and friends for an "outback" vacation to the Dominican Republic. While being new, and trying to be "Real," please indulge me with a few explanations. Who is Rob DR1 and what position does he hold in the Health industry. The same inquiry is to be made of Jim Hinsch. Which parts of the Republic do they live/travel in? These questions should be answered to qualify their remarks

Who are the foreign "scaremongers," and what is their goal in preventing tourism? You further relate to the people "on the ground." Are you medical workers dealing with this now widely reported disease? (USA Today, NY Times. Conde Nast) After making such statements, you are liable to substantiate your claims.

Again, you state "You" are responsible people, who are you? Are you willing to guarantee or health? As of this writing, I am unable to secure travel insurance based on your assurances without some documentation of your qualifications.

Our Medical Association (California) has contacted the Minister of Health in the Dominican Republic, and while they admit to an exceptional outbreak of Influenza, they have no idea who you are!! Please clarify this issue for 24 "nervous" visitors, who just happen to be tour operators

From various posts (Which keep disappearing), there appears to be several different opinions on this matter. Several from Medical Doctors who are chastised for their comments, more from people who I now inquire of)

Mike

T

Tom

Archive Search

Mike

To say that this question has been extensively "debated, " would be a gross understatement.

Go to the top of the page, select the searcg function and use the criteria "Search by poster" and select KEVIN HILL< TOM<PETER<EARLE <JIM HINSCH<RAPHAEL LOPEZ and then if you don't have enough, search using the key word "Virus"

If you are going to the remote areas of the country, I would "think" you to have the least likelihood of getting the disease as your exposure to large groups of infected persons will be limited, but I am not a Doctor and can not/will not give advice, contrary to the well meaning others on this board

D

DR One

We have been covering the influenza outbreak in the DR with news briefs since 31 May 1999. Do a search of the daily news archives typing in virus or Kosovo to find these. The news stories feature statements by the authorities and the local medical community. Rob of DR1 is the webmaster of this site. We refer you to these for informed statements on the outbreak in the DR. We also refer you to the message board guidelines on the top of the message board index page for reasons why some posts are deleted. By the way, Dolores of DR1 is the editor of this web site. For more information on Travel Health issues, please see our health page, link also at the top of the message board.