Name of this merengue tune?

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
Probably couldn't be a more inappropriate time to post this question, what with the government (such as it is) of Haiti on the verge of collapse, but, you know me, the master of bad timing :)
So I'm taking merengue dance lessons and I'm gettin pretty good, especially since it's kind of a relatively easy dance to do. Anyway, I'm sort of the official class translator. Sort of.
So there's this song that the dance teacher plays every week. I can't figure out much of the words. In the beginning, a guy is saying "Banda" every few measures. Not "Banda somebody or something" just "Banda."
Then further along in the tune I can clearly make out the words "baila conmigo." Not much to go on, but probably somebody will know.
I wouldn't even ask except the teach really likes this tune and I'm trying to make all the points I can. Ok, enough about all the details, chick, we get the picture.........
Thanks,
Mike

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Now that wouldn't be too hard unless of course by an itsy bitsy little problem:

Banda it's what Bands are in Spanish, in other words when they say Banda in the tune followed by the words you obviously can't comprehend, they're in fact stating the name of the band itself.

Second Baila Conmigo, it's only mentioned on about a few thousand songs only so we wouldn't have that much trouble of finding it after listening to all those songs for about a year or so.

Try and isolate the words right after Banda and you'll have a winner!

Have Fun!

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
[he responds]

PICHARDO said:
Banda it's what Bands are in Spanish, in other words when they say Banda in the tune followed by the words you obviously can't comprehend, they're in fact stating the name of the band itself.

Nope, that's not the case here, although I do know what you're saying. It's not unusual for a band to shout out their name at the beginning of the tune (unless you're Johnny Ventura and then you just shout "Hey!"). Nope, this is just a guy shouting "Banda" about six times before the main part of the song starts. It's an older tune, I can tell that, and a baritone voice singing, but beyond that I don't have much to go on.
It's on a CD-R so there's no clues from outside package because it doesn't exist. I knew this wasn't an easy question, I just thought it might just jog somebody's immediate memory.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
I could be wrong...

but it may sound like a song from "Los Sabrosos del Merengue". The album is called Sin Fronteras, I will look for the tape - it is somewhere in my music collection - and listen to it and let you know. Don't ask me why on such little info I thought of this particular song - I could be way off base but I'll let you know.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Merengue tune

Hello Marliejaneca,

I would love to help you but your clue is too vague. Customarily the groups say their name throughout the song. So yes, you caught "Banda... XXXX" but the you need to catch the name which comes right after. Is there anyone in your class who is Spanish speaking? They should be able to tell you no problem. Good luck.

LDG,

marliejaneca said:
but it may sound like a song from "Los Sabrosos del Merengue". The album is called Sin Fronteras, I will look for the tape - it is somewhere in my music collection - and listen to it and let you know. Don't ask me why on such little info I thought of this particular song - I could be way off base but I'll let you know.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
LesleyD

It actually was Chicker that asked the question, not me, I was just trying to help her out.... but thanks for the reply!!!!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I have good news for you!

There's a band that did in fact said:
Banda! Banda! Banda! and then they would say their band name, bad news it's that my nephew owns a pathetic memory, I think he needs to upgrade it to Windows XP or add a new hard drive, any how I'll try and run the defragmentation utility and see what can I get from the still wrapped memory of his.

pati

Feb 3, 2004
PICHARDO said:
I have good news for you!

There's a band that did in fact said:
Banda! Banda! Banda! and then they would say their band name, bad news it's that my nephew owns a pathetic memory, I think he needs to upgrade it to Windows XP or add a new hard drive, any how I'll try and run the defragmentation utility and see what can I get from the still wrapped memory of his.

I don't think he's saying it goes Banda Banda etc in succession. I think he's saying the guy says Banda once as in telling the band to play. This happening frequently throw out the song.At least that's what I'm interrupting what chicker is saying or writing.

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
I found this CD on half.com

marliejaneca said:

I may just buy the CD anyway because (and this will make some DR1 regulars cough up their lime rinds) you just can't get enough good ol' merengue. The original release on the album is 1992 and it does sound like kind of an older tune, so maybe that's it. Thanks for the clues.
To clarify again: The singer says "Banda" and nothing more at the beginning of the song, about three times, I guess. Originally I said six times but I heard it again last night. It's not that I can't understand if he's saying Banda Gorda or Banda Chula or Banda whatever, he's just saying the word Banda. It's in a place where you would expect to hear the band's name being shouted (like Rikarena are so fond of doing) but that's all there is. Banda.
The words to the song are not much of a clue. I went to a club. I saw a pretty girl. She danced so good. oo-wee oo-wee oh. Come dance with me. La la la. Same ol' merengue sheist you've heard a million times. But my teacher likes the tune, so I said I'd research for him. So I am. Sort of.

Also, if anybody knows anywhere I can get some recordings of the classic merengues of the 40s and 50s, I'd appreciate any info at all. When I was in Santiago last November, Hillbilly sent me out to the new museum there (oh mierda, can't remember the name, Leon something, I am so embarrassed) and got a Luis Alberti tribute CD. Everyone who hears it LOVES it! The full orchestra and all. They just can't hear it enough. I have orders for about 10 of those CDs if I ever get back there again. In the meantime, any other recordings you might know about, just PM or email me, thanks.

chick'r

Last edited:

pati

Feb 3, 2004
Is this by a soloist or is it a group singing the song? Do you know approximately how old the song is?Also are there anymore lyrics you can add to what you've already given?