The ultimate DR guide book!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What would you consider to be perfect guide book for the Dominican Republic?

Looking for some feedback and help. Would love to hear the opinions from the people that actually travel and have travelled to the DR.
When you live here, sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees :)

If you had to design your own, what topics/areas would it cover?
Would it be good to have a guide book that just covers a specific area (Punta Cana) or niche (golf, adventure sports)?
How would it look, size, shape and format?
Would it be a physical book or something that is in downloadable printable format?
Does it have to be in color or is BW ok?
Are maps more important than photos?
Price points? What is expensive and what is cheap? Is US$19.95 cheap?

As you can see, lots of questions :)
Just trying to get a feel for what people want, would use and purchase.

Feel free to waffle, generalize or be very specific.

Thanks.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Sounds like you're wanting to publish one, but there are 2 audiences to consider.

For example, when we were 'resort tourists', we bought "Explore the Dominican Republic", a travel guide. It was wonderful. It told of climate, what to wear, what tours to take, kinds of transportation, etc. It was full of maps and pictures. It was $17 US softback, 5x7

Now that we own a home and come down 4 times a year, we've graduated to Discovery Channel's book "The Dominican Republic & Haiti". This is educating us on the history of the island, description of most towns, mountain range stats, museums, crops, etc. Many color pictures and maps. $23 US softback

mlroberts23

Feb 16, 2004
Don't want to burst your bubble but I purchased the rough guide to dominican republic but found that going on the internet to these forums and other sites was way more informative because it is up to date. I myself wanted to know what people thought of the resorts and excurisions after just going on them. A book with peoples opinions and choices of things to do and see with lots of maps would be the best for me. Good Luck in whatever you are planning on doing!! :)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
JanH said:
Sounds like you're wanting to publish one...

It's something we have looked at in the past and looking at again.

To be honest, I don't think a decent guide book exists on the DR.
As pointed out, they are all outdated before they even get printed.
Plus they cover the same old stuff and follow the same old formats.

We would never do a guide book, just to do a guide book.
It would have to be radically different and something that is a "must have".

The problem is defining the "must have" as it's often different for each individual.

But...

Technology today allows you to deliver a real physical book that is up to date from the day you ordered it. Plus it could be a book that you have custom built with the sections that are relevant to your visit to the DR. If your only coming to the North Coast, you don't necessarily need a section covering Punta Cana.

Keep the thoughts and feedback coming...

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Fiest consideration:

Is it a guide book for visiting or one for living in the DR? Can it be both or is that too much?

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
The netizens of DR1 would probably write a (mostly) very complete guidebook for you if you put up a wiki.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I think you need to narrow your focus a bit for travelers...what types of travelers? Newly-weds? Golf enthusiasts? Cheap chic people like me? Party-hardies? Envirolocos? AI folks? Conde Nast type people? (fyi look at Florida's Key West site for a nice guide with an environmental emphasis....) Can you cover it all....each type of traveller...in one book? Do you want to?

For those expats that want live in the country, this might be an easier niche...seems like this is where the expertise of the board will come into play and you could easily separate your sections according to how many assets you are working with.

Give me more specific info. and my brain will start pumping out ideas.

MG
for the
HM Agency

pati

Feb 3, 2004
I think an online guide to DR is definately something worth considering.I would approach it as two seperate guides. One for those visiting and another for those looking to reside in DR. I believe what makes this site so successful is that a person has the opportunity to get multiple views. A lot of the information provided would be subjective so if the guide was a cooperative source of information it may share some of the same success.

I have been to DR a few times but I've never been there long enough to get to know as much as I would like about the different areas.
When I'm there I usually ask people show me a nice area to live, eat,shop, etc. I sometimes find that I don't share the same opinion as that person once we get there, so it is neccessary to hear from different people. A few days ago I came across a very good post by Nal0whs.It was exactly the type of information I was looking for. As someone who is interested in business opportunities and possibily full time residency in DR.

But of course there's nothing better than getting personalized treatment. People will always post questions asking for information but a more in depth online guide may cut down on some repetitive questions.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Just some thoughts.

You could have a book with two sections, tourist and settling in.

The "tourist" section would be like a D.R. "for Dummies" type of format, broken down into regional area, focusing on AI Resorts, Non-AI's, attractions, and "offbeat" attractions.

The "Settling In" part would be for the long term tourist and or resident requiring information on availability of services, phone, water, and electric,. Where the best areas to shop for consumer goods with ratings. Where government offices are located and what are procedures to obtain residency and drivers licenses. Information on emergency medical assistance. Information on how to shop for apartments and make real estate purchases. ect. ect. ect.

Regards,
PJT

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
MaineGirl said:
I think you need to narrow your focus a bit for travelers...what types of travelers? Newly-weds? Golf enthusiasts? Cheap chic people like me? Party-hardies? Envirolocos? AI folks? Conde Nast type people? (fyi look at Florida's Key West site for a nice guide with an environmental emphasis....) Can you cover it all....each type of traveller...in one book? Do you want to?

For those expats that want live in the country, this might be an easier niche...seems like this is where the expertise of the board will come into play and you could easily separate your sections according to how many assets you are working with.

Give me more specific info. and my brain will start pumping out ideas.

MG
for the
HM Agency

The good thing is that books now days can be as broad or as niche as you want to make it, especially with print on demand. Custom building books or multiple versions are not that hard to do.

What about the look and feel of the book?
What is a good book? A5, A4, spiral bound, hard cover etc etc?

How about telling me what is the perfect guide book for YOU.
Your specific needs, wants and desires.

jmaz98

Sep 25, 2003
How about a "Zagat" - like section where restaurants, bars, clubs, etc. are given a numerical rating based on reviews by DR1ers who have visited those establishments?

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Robert said:
The good thing is that books now days can be as broad or as niche as you want to make it, especially with print on demand. Custom building books or multiple versions are not that hard to do.

What about the look and feel of the book?
What is a good book? A5, A4, spiral bound, hard cover etc etc?

How about telling me what is the perfect guide book for YOU.
Your specific needs, wants and desires.

The perfect book would also be downloadable to a PDA and kept current with updates.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
AlaninDR said:
The perfect book would also be downloadable to a PDA and kept current with updates.

Interesting. Do many people take PDA's on vacation?
Al, you don't look like a PDA type of guy :)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
jmaz98 said:
How about a "Zagat" - like section where restaurants, bars, clubs, etc. are given a numerical rating based on reviews by DR1ers who have visited those establishments?

Zagat have done a great job with their books and directory.
Yes, this would be something to try and emulate in some way.

The question is. How is the information best delivered to the tourist?

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Robert said:
Interesting. Do many people take PDA's on vacation?
Al, you don't look like a PDA type of guy :)

How unobservant of you Rob. My glass eye is actually the display, my hearing aid is the cpu. Each time I hoist a Presidente the page changes so you know i'm skilled in speed reading.
I have several knowledge based on enterprise and location.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
AlaninDR said:
How unobservant of you Rob. My glass eye is actually the display, my hearing aid is the cpu. Each time I hoist a Presidente the page changes so you know i'm skilled in speed reading.
I have several knowledge based on enterprise and location.

How do you put the data in? Do you download it or input it manually?
What type of data is important to you?

Last edited:

Minni

Sep 14, 2003
I haven't bought any guide books to the Dominican Republic, cause the one's I have seen don't have what I'm looking for. For example before going to Sosua I went to Barnes & Nobles and looked for some guide books. They only had two I believe a Frommers and something else. It was a book on the Caribbean. They didn't have just the Dominican Rep. Anyway skipped to the section on DR. It was very limited. Sosua was maybe two pages long. It was mostly about the history. A couple places to stay and eat. Rocky's was listed. Of course it wasn't up to date. Needless to say I didn't spend the 14.95 or so it cost.

I would love something specific to an area, say the North Coast. Where to stay, eat and hang out. Specially something that focuses on the night life. No just the tourist clubs, include the local, like the car washes or local popular bars etc. Something that has accurate maps of the streets. I ordered a map of the Dominican Republic since I was going to be driving and ended up getting most of my info from HB and badpeice. The map was way to general.

Keep it under $20 softback and fill it with accurate up to date info. Preferrably with maybe experiances from DR1ers and the places they have visited and what they have liked and hated.

Minni

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
If it's available here on line maybe people can specify what area they are interested in. Maps of the cities and towns I want to tour in and places to eat and stay the night while touring that are not AI.
Back in 99 I was looking for a detailed map or Sosua but as minni said there is very little out there and the one in the book had just a few main streets on it.

Kind of a tailor made book according to need would be different.

I don't want to pay $20 for reviews and history. There's plenty of that on websites for FREE.

My two Canadian cents ;)