Travel During Elections

P

pcsue

We're planning a family trip to Santo Domingo this summer. I'm wondering if anyone living there has opinions on what may occur during elections. (I know people are always killed during huelgas and campaigining, but given the economic crisis I'm concerned about a particularly politically volatile year.) We'd like to have my son declared Dominican under his father as well as have some family time. So I'm wondering about government offices functioning as well as general security.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I'm Skipping the elections too.

pcsue said:
We're planning a family trip to Santo Domingo this summer. I'm wondering if anyone living there has opinions on what may occur during elections. (I know people are always killed during huelgas and campaigining, but given the economic crisis I'm concerned about a particularly politically volatile year.) We'd like to have my son declared Dominican under his father as well as have some family time. So I'm wondering about government offices functioning as well as general security.

Well I usually come down for our Victoria day holiday in May which is the 24th so I hope the flaming tires are off the road etc., when I arrive on the 22nd. So technically I am not skipping the elections becuase they are a week earlier but this year I might have been leery. Plus you can't accomplish a GD thing on Election day as there are hordes of people all off voting for Pete's sake. Higher turn out than we have I bet, even excluding the people with 10 cedulas.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Election Week

I've always stayed away election week but have been there the week before and the week after. Worst thing I ever saw was a candidate's sign being torn down and stomped on. Now who's going to hijack this thread and start a pissing match on AIs like that thread on whether those people should come down during the Haiti crisis?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Not Such a Bad Thing

KenoshaChris said:
Worst thing I ever saw was a candidate's sign being torn down and stomped on.

They've been up it seems since the last elections so the landscape would be much improved if a few were taken down.

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
election jitters

I've had the same questions. I want to go back in May , and I have been working the dates around the election, probably out of a feeling of uncertainty.
I've never felt unsafe in RD, but politics makes for strange bedfellows.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
4 years ago when I was going to come to Santo Dominigo my first time. My friends here told me it was best not to come during elections. They said it was better to be safe instead of sorry just incase something happened. I ended up coming about 1 month before and it was an experience seeing the way people campaign here. It was really interesting.

I haven't been here for Presidental elections, this will be my first time, so I can't tell you from my own experiences. But if your in a resort you will have no problems. And if you do come just stay out of big crowds, especially if people are campagining. Best to be safe and not ruin your vacation.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
I have lived through a Presidential election in POP. Nothing that can't be handled, stepped up roadside checks and truckloads of gun-waving personnel driving up and down the streets. Actually got one truckload to wave to me as I was taking a picture of them off my balcony (used to live 5 houses down from the cock-fighting arena and it seemed like our street was the main thoroughfare for a few days!!) I am sure that because of the situation now in the DR it could be a little more involved, my time was during the Belaguer years.
Anyway, I don't think one tourist even realized what was going on, from my observation working in Playa Dorada.