one week in DR

snowgirl

Feb 28, 2004
Hi. Hoping to land in Punta Cana on Wed for one short week. From the reading I've done, this area sounds extremely beautiful for scenery. However, it sounds like the Puerto Plata area has more opportunities for adventures of all kinds. For a budget traveller like myself, is it worth it to travel to Puerto Plata area by guagua (still trying to find out how many hours this would take) and spend a few days there doing some exploring, dancing for a couple days, and then back to Punta Cana?
Any recommedations most appreciated! one lousy week....and it's finally warmed up in Winterpeg! It's 0 Celcius and sunny!! :cool:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No, stay there

Explore the Punta Cana area and have a relaxing week.

A week is too short to spend two days travelling from one side of the island to another.

Plan on coming back soon to the North Shore. then you, better than anyone can tell which is to your likeing and let the rest of us know what your thinking is on this...

HB, hoping you have a wonderful time...

snowgirl

Feb 28, 2004
That's what I thought. Funny thing, just found out that the air deal for 2 weeks is the same price. Just have to see if I can arrange the time off! One week is just too short to lose 2 days to traveling all day like you said. Thanks!
I might just keep watching the airfare deals and see if something good comes up for Puerto Plata! From reading the threads it sounds like an area that has something to offer everyone!

Winnipegger

Oct 17, 2003
snowgirl said:
That's what I thought. Funny thing, just found out that the air deal for 2 weeks is the same price. Just have to see if I can arrange the time off! One week is just too short to lose 2 days to traveling all day like you said. Thanks!
I might just keep watching the airfare deals and see if something good comes up for Puerto Plata! From reading the threads it sounds like an area that has something to offer everyone!

Hi Snowgirl, I understand you are from the Peg? Why dont you join myself and my friends in Cabarete. We too are keeping a close eye on the airfares and plan to go on the 9th or 19th from Winnipeg. On the other hand I hope you dont take the last remaining cheap seat on one of those planes from me! :) lol. We were just on the Northcoat for the Christmas season and we had a blast so we are going back! A couple of us have been to the Northcoast several times and one owns a condo there so we can show you the sights! Give me a PM?

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Snowgirl - if you end up in Puerto Plata - definitely make the trip to Cofresi and stop in at Chris & Madys - Chris is from Winnipeg originally and his daughter is at U of M right now - good food and Chris and Mady are terrific.
I agree though, if you are just there for one week you might as well stay in Punta Cana, you wouldn't get the full feel for the North Coast in two days.
Forgot to add - I am from Nestor Falls (south of Kenora) and yes the weather has been great but they are calling for snow for the next few days - I'd definitely try for that extra week - it ain't spring yet!!!!!!

Last edited:

snowgirl

Feb 28, 2004
it's getting down to the wire. i'm having no success convincing one of my girlfriends to get a 2nd week off work, and am waiting 4 my boss 2 approve the 2nd week off 4 me! Winnipegger, we are pretty much the same age (although I am still working at altering my birth certificate!! it's got somebody else's birthyear on it!!). I'm a true pegger as I luv getting a deal, so I don't know if I can refuse this airfare that leaves on Wed. I would totally luv to hook up with u and your friends, the more the merrier! how do I get in contact with you? I have a hotmail address or can give u my cell phone number.
Hey Marliejaneca, I've have't been to Nestor Falls in a while, but know that whole area is fantastic...need to do some canoing up there soon!...Had fun in Kenora this summer....seems like so long ago........
And U r right about this weather,...it's horrible today..and what is that...SNOW?? what they??....nothing like yesterday. Oh yeah, it is still February!!
If I can find Confresi, I would definately look Chris & Madys up...sounds like a good place.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Snowgirl - Have a great trip - wherever you end up!! Re: finding Cofresi - if you end up going to Puerto Plata - Cofresi is about 15 minutes west of POP.
If you end up coming to Nestor Falls this summer, just look up Marlie Hampe in the phone book - give me a call - I don't have any Presidentes but I do have a home on the water!!
Have fun,
Marlie

snowgirl

Feb 28, 2004
Thanks Marlie!
What? no presidentes??.....well seeing how I haven't experienced one of these yet (but will in 2 short days!!) I'll take you up on your offer and check out your waterfront one day! Must get some great sunsets or sunrises! And I'll bring some MGD, Kokenee, Keiths or whatever happens to catch my thirst that day!
btw: I'm booked for 2 weeks in DR!! Landing in Punta Cana, but am going to work my way up NE and back. Not sure of my plan yet, but thankfully there is such a wealth of info on these msg boards.....amazing!
I guess I can close this message thread? Do I just hit close current tag? Can't wait to have a Presidentes at Rocky's.......
it's so very dreary in my city today.......all the snow melting, slush everywhere and it's overcast....cannot wait to see the blue blue skies and blue blue ocean very soon!
Adios!
Karen :D

Winnipegger

Oct 17, 2003
snowgirl said:
it's getting down to the wire. i'm having no success convincing one of my girlfriends to get a 2nd week off work, and am waiting 4 my boss 2 approve the 2nd week off 4 me! Winnipegger, we are pretty much the same age (although I am still working at altering my birth certificate!! it's got somebody else's birthyear on it!!). I'm a true pegger as I luv getting a deal, so I don't know if I can refuse this airfare that leaves on Wed. I would totally luv to hook up with u and your friends, the more the merrier! how do I get in contact with you? I have a hotmail address or can give u my cell phone number.
Hey Marliejaneca, I've have't been to Nestor Falls in a while, but know that whole area is fantastic...need to do some canoing up there soon!...Had fun in Kenora this summer....seems like so long ago........
And U r right about this weather,...it's horrible today..and what is that...SNOW?? what they??....nothing like yesterday. Oh yeah, it is still February!!
If I can find Confresi, I would definately look Chris & Madys up...sounds like a good place.

Hey Snowgirl. Are you leaving THIS wednesday? We arent leaving until the 19th so I guess you will have to warm the place up for us? Give me a PM for your contact info?

snowgirl

Feb 28, 2004
Hey Winnipegger! I sent you a private message .....lol, i just figured out what PM means...ha ha...and this reply would not be a PM.....am I quick or what!! must be the cold....well 24 hours from now i'll be on the plane....dethawing....nice! can't wait! Make sure the Peg is all cleaned up by the time I get home please.....and all the snow is gone (eek, I just looked outside, it's snowing tons, nice and fluffy.....)..oh, I'm very happy now that I booked this trip! This has been one of the coldest winters in a long time...
Hopefully I'll be able to find internet cafe's and stay on line, as this website is tremendous!
Adios!

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Great, if you are getting snow right now - I guess we will be getting more of it too, wasn't 2 inches enough over the last 2 days!!
Anyway, enjoy your trip - snowgirl! Make sure you write a trip report when you get back and let us know how you made it from Punta Cana to POP etc.
Just remember - stay safe and god forbid - do not fall for any sankies or I will throw you off my deck when you come and have that "fake" Presidente this summer!!!
Marlie

zx7jimbo

Feb 25, 2004
Winnipeg? Nice. I am from Winnipeg and will be in DR (sosua) march 14 for 2 weeks. My buddy Ruben from Sosua is going to help me find a house since a friend and I will be moving there in September for the winter cause we all know how the winters are here. I am 27 and will be traveling alone this trip as it is mostly business that I have to take care of. But I am always, 24/7 up for a few wobbly pops. Anyways, maybe we will see some of you there if you care too. PM me if you are. Have a good time.

snowgirl

Feb 28, 2004
you won't be pushing me Martie, i'll be jumping off your deck all by myself :knockedou
and yes, i'll be careful and keep an eye on those sankies.....but cmon, they have to be better than winnipeg men (eek, i'm going to get shot for that!!).kidding....jimbo if i'm in that area at that time, i'll try and track you down, sounds like rocky's is the place to be...but, you'll have to hook up with Winnipegger, she's going to be in the same area as you....my timing is off I guess....damn!
can't believe u r running away to some tropical island and leaving our winters...actually since all 3 of my spongee teams forgot how to play in the finals this year, I might be up for trying a new winter sport somewhere a little warmer!!
geez i'm getting thirsty with all this talk about beer!!

zx7jimbo

Feb 25, 2004
snowgirl said:
.....but cmon, they have to be better than winnipeg men (eek, i'm going to get shot for that!!).kidding....

I say nothing... I think Black Eyed Peas have a song called Latin Girls... how does it go again, latin girls latin girl, I like latin girls or something along those lines. Alls fair snowgirl. :wink:

Ok once again... whoever it may be... PM me.. I'll drink with anyone. Anywhere. Anytime.