Virus - it's just the FLU, same as in the USA

J

Jim Hinsch

The below is paraphrased from the news here on the DR1 page:

The DR Public Health Minister reported there is sufficient evidence of large numbers to consider it an influenza flu epidemic and that the DR is not the only country hit by this particular virus: the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) says that Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Jamaica, Martinique, Paraguay and the United States have all been similarly hit.

See the below link for more info.

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

E

Earle

Irresponsible statement

Mr. Hinsch;

You?re equating the influenza epidemic in the Dominican Republic to that of a cyclical outbreak in the United States and or Canada is both simplistic and flawed. Would you compare the impact of major hurricane strike on these countries as equivalent to the disaster that occurred in the Republic last year? Of course not.

The Dominican Republic is an emerging nation, without the benefit of the Healthcare of Industrialized nations, both in prevention and treatment. What the United States or Canada view as an annual ?inconvenience,? could very well be epidemic or pandemic in a country such as the Dominican republic.

You often provide useful information to this venue, but it would be well if you refrained from attempting to issue opinions to which you obviously lack understanding and qualification

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
DR Health Minister agrees with Jim!

It's the flu! Let's not go overboard about this.

I have friends that have had it and they are fine. Of course they got sick for a few days, it's a nasty strain.

Robert.

P

Paul

Re: Irresponsible statement(Not really)

Jim's response was to a potential tourist who wanted to know about this flu and its severity in regards to their well being; not the local people.

Of course a flu virus may affect and have a greater impact on a country like DR, but again that wasn't the question.

Paul

R

Rafael Lopez

Re: Irresponsible statement

Dr. Guzman should not have said that a flu vaccine is not needed because it could be misinterpreted by the people. A flu vaccine in general is better than no flu vaccine. I think she was refering to this particular virus but it happens that she does not know which virus is causing the problem. In general this virus affect the elderly, the chronically ill and the poorly fed. Again there are fatal cases reported every year in the US, this past winter NYC was hit by a virulent strain that kill a few people, for some of this strain there is no vaccine, the virus changes, it appears that the strain hitting DR is particularly virulent. Every winter there are a number of fatalaties in the US as a result of a influenza virus I do not think it is an inconvience. Rafael Lopez md.

J

Jim Hinsch

Jim's virus posts are news clips, not his opinion

Sorry Doc. I apologize if I somehow offended you or some of our readers by copying the news, paraphrasing, or adding titles. I should not have said "just" the flu, as that made it seem trivial and common, for which I have no medical expertise to say so. I listen to those who do.

I've made no comments of my own on this issue. The origin of the posts appear directly above and below them. The posts are what was in the news and posted as a convenience to readers, a paraphrased quote from the Public Health Minister, Dr. Altagracia Guzm?n de Marcelino, and I included a link to the actual story which appears right here on this site.

Quote:

Dr. Guzm?n reported that the DR is not the only country hit by this particular virus: the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) says that Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Jamaica, Martinique, Paraguay and the United States have all been similarly hit.

End Quote.

Perhaps I misunderstand. To my mind, "hit by this particular virus" means "the same virus." That's the only "opinion" I offer on this issue. I'm heading down next week. I wish good health to all.

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

K

Keith

Re: Irresponsible statement

Dr. Guzman did not say that a vaccine was not needed. Rather, she said that one does not exist for this strain (which is true). In any case, most people would not need a vaccine to overcome the virus anyway. They just have to suffer through it a few (very miserable) days. But the old, chronically ill or poorly fed will of course be vulnerable to ANY illness, including the flu. This is particularly true if, as is the case with many, they do not seek medical care early in the illness, do not keep themselves well hydrated, etc.

For the very old and infirm, influenza vaccine often is not recommended anyway because of greater risk from reactions.

What Dr. Guzman has said about the flu not killing anyone is technically quite true, whether in the US, Canada, Europe or Third World. Any good doctor will tell you it that it is the COMPLICATIONS that set in when a patient's resistence is weakened by the fight with the flu that can kill. This is particularly true of respiratory ailments affecting the elderly. Any case of pneumonia, whether contracted independently or coming on the heels of a flu bout, potentially can kill an elderly person. My father is a family doctor in the US, and this has happened with his older patients on more than one occasion. Usually the critical difference between surviving and dying is how soon the patient is brought to the doctor or hospital.

Regards, Keith

K

Kevin Hill

Re: Irresponsible statement(Not really)

For goodness sake folks - lets get REAL for a moment. May I suggest that if you are worried about the so called Kosovo 'epidemic' then listen to people like Jim Hinsch or Rob (DR1) who tell it as IT IS. Forget the so called medical 'experts' and 'scaremongers' who reside in the USA, or elsewhere, and listen to the people that know......... the people here, on the ground, IN the Dominican Republic. We are responsible people - if we thought for one moment that there was a serious risk to your health in visiting the DR - WE WOULD TELL YOU!!! Lighten up, come and enjoy!