Could it be true...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I recently bought a travel book of the Dominican Republic published by Rough Guides. I tend to do this once a while to see what mistakes they have made in terms of info, what is in and what is out, what businesses they listed still exist etc. and then I send them an email with the correct information for them to publish in their up coming 2nd edition. I found it very interesting when in the Silver Coast Chapter (That's what they call it even though today it's known as the Amber Coast) and they wrote something that made me wonder about all of the expats in the Dominican Republic. They said that the worst thing anyone to ask to an expat in Puerto Plata is Where are they from. They said that is due to the fact that every expat in Puerto Plata are in "hiding" from the rich countries they come from because of multiple criminal reasons such as evading taxes, etc. I kind of figure out there were going to be some of those people lurking around, but is it the majority? That is what I am getting from this guide.
If any of you would like to "set the record straight" here is their link:
http://travel.roughguides.com/roughguides.html

Notice: The remarks about the expats, I only saw them on the hardcopy book, not on their internet site, but if you feel like expressing your views about their way of painting everyone with the same brush, go right ahead to the link above.

tourjoy

Mar 13, 2004
Are ll ex-pats bad tax evaders...

One, see the postings under the newbie section on gates and guards. Half the posts are from macho types who talk of their freedom-rights-anti government-gun toting right to personal protection.
Are they tax evaders? Draw your own conclusions. Ironically, before I saw your post, I posted back to them that if all ex-pat wealthy gringos paid their taxes in the DR maybe effective police protection could be afforded.

tourjoy

Mar 13, 2004
I forgot what two was...

On my last post I started off:
One,...
But I left off
two...

Now I cannot remember two.
I better retire very soon.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
tourjoy said:
One, see the postings under the newbie section on gates and guards. Half the posts are from macho types who talk of their freedom-rights-anti government-gun toting right to personal protection.
Are they tax evaders? Draw your own conclusions. Ironically, before I saw your post, I posted back to them that if all ex-pat wealthy gringos paid their taxes in the DR maybe effective police protection could be afforded.

What are you mumbling about?

Expats are not taxed on wealth by the Dominican Republic and, in fact, there are very few taxes on individuals, whether Dominican or foreign, who live here other than the tax added to purchases, restaurant bills, etc.

Expats are taxed by their home country on taxable income there. I can't speak for other countries because I have no knowledge, but if you don't file a tax return with IRS every year you had better be ready for some close questioning when it comes time to renew your passport, apply for social security, or any other time that your name rises to the surface for some reason or other.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Great. Another One.

tourjoy said:
Ironically, before I saw your post, I posted back to them that if all ex-pat wealthy gringos paid their taxes in the DR maybe effective police protection could be afforded.
That is so ignorant of how things work here it's almost beyond belief. Maybe you should write the next guide book since you've obviously read and digested everything posted here, by folks who actually live here. Post your online version in the Clown Bin when you're done.

Good Lord!

Tom aka XR Your kid may be an honor student but you're still an idiot!