When is Santo Domingo Carnival?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I am confused! I thought the Santo Domingo carnival procession was going to be yesterday - last Sunday of February.

We planned our weekend around it, and returned to the city yesterday afternoon only to find... the usual Sunday Malecon Libre in full swing, quite a few people in costume, a good number of 'vejigazos' (ouch!), the VIP stands in place, but no procession.

Last night on TV I noticed the Presidente ad, and think it said that Santo Domingo Carnival was going to take place on March 21st.

Any more information on this, anyone?

Chiri

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Hi Chiri! Sorry I missed you.

Are you talking about the 27 de Febrero Carnaval or another? I'm confused. Anyway, There were quite a few on Saturday, I didnt hear of any scheduled for Sunday.

Im back in NJ - at least is not below 0 anymore :disappoin

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
They decided to have it in Santiago - you missed it!!!

I saved you some confetti though, if you hurry you can help me pick it out of the carpeting in my car and keep as much as you want. :classic:

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I was asking the same question for a month now. Noone seemed to know when it was happening here in the capital. Noone even knew about the Military parade til the day before.

If it happened over the weekend I missed it too. Did see lots of people at Malecon Libre but I stayed away. And last year there were free concerts around and didn't hear anything about them too.

I felt like I was in a twlight zone yesterday. The street was so wuiet and the park at my house too. Guess everyone went to the playa and forgot about the holiday in the capital.