Things We Shouldn't Miss

ezbrz

Mar 1, 2004
hey all! my husband and I will be going to the DR in May for one week. We are staying at the SuperClubs Breezes resort in Peurto Plata and are very excited. We definately want to leave the resort and see some local attractions. Anybody have any suggestions on things we should definately see/do while we are there. We will be leaving May 23 for 7 days. Thanks All!

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Saman?!

One week is not very much.
But maybe you will rent a car, drive along the north coast, arrive in Saman? (Las Galeras or Las Terrenas), stay overnight and be sorry that you have to go back.
Saman? is one of the most scenic parts of the country and more "Caribbean" than other places.
BTW, we live there.
M?frog

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Mountain frog is right. Once you go to the Samana Peninsula, the rest of the DR will never look or feel the same. On our first trip to the DR my husband and I lucked out and got booked into a resort on the Peninsula. It made a HUGE impression on us We've only been back once since then, but it is still one of our favourite places.

I am not sure if I would recommend newcomers to drive it though. I am not by far the most experienced traveller in the DR, but I wouldn't even think of renting a car. I know my limits and leave the driving to the professionals, especially for a relatively long distance as that. I like to see the scenrey and country side, not my white kniucles on the steering wheel :).

Rose

Raf

Jan 12, 2004
mountainfrog said:
One week is not very much.
But maybe you will rent a car, drive along the north coast, arrive in Saman? (Las Galeras or Las Terrenas), stay overnight and be sorry that you have to go back.
Saman? is one of the most scenic parts of the country and more "Caribbean" than other places.
BTW, we live there.
M?frog

Hello Froggy,

I will be there in a few days. Do you speak a little French by chance?

Raf

foggy

Feb 3, 2004
sorry to jump in on someone elses thread but how far is samana from puerto plata. and how could we get there

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
ezbrz...

There are many things to see and do in POP - just click on the travel tab at the very top of the page, then click on Puerto Plata and it will list a variety of things to see and do. It all depends on how much time you want to spend running around to attractions and what syle of attractions you want to take in. One week isn't a long time, so try and use some time management practices and you may get to see a fair amount.
Marlie

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
foggy

POP to Samana is 210 kms - 3 1/2 hours
There are bus services to Samana - Caribe for sure - I am not sure about Metro - maybe someone can jump in here that knows the schedules.

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
The Dominican people

Thats what you dont want to miss.

I am not a professional when it comes to the DR...but I know from travelling there that you dont want to miss getting out of the resort, and into the villages...meeting the great people of the country, and seeing life through another set of eyes.

There are plenty of ways to get about...and if you get a good taxi driver, and use them everyday...you will get better service, along with some unexpected extra's too..(we had the chance to see where he lived, and meet his family).

I would not though reccomend renting a vehicle...and this will be self explained once you are there. There are many ways to get about without having to do this.

I hope you have a safe and wonderful trip to one of the most beautiful places on earth...both the country-side,and the people.

Cheers
Jimmy