Job Offer

TheOne

Feb 8, 2004
I was recently offered a job for $40,000 peso per month.

is this enough to live confortably in Santo Domingo?? :rolleyes:

Johy

Sep 15, 2003
www.worldisround.com
I would be happy...

if I can find a job in DR that pays me RD$ 40,000. As someone already said by Dominican Standards is very good money, but then again I'm dominican for me is ok you just need to learn how to manage the money well, and for sure you can have a car, an apartment and have a girlfriend and take her to nice places.

If you can negotiate and try to get a better offer that will be great, and BTW there are not to many jobs now available that offer that amount.

Johy ;)

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
TheOne said:

Questions like that have been asked on DR1 since its inception. And the answer has always been the same

WHAT IS COMFORTABLE FOR YOU?

$40K Rd is fine for some people. For me I couldn't live on $40K RD a week let alone a month!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Sure, but!!

TheOne said:

You can make it with that amount for sure. It all depends on how you like to live. If you are coming here thinking that you will live on a high rise building, eat at the finest restaurants, drive the latest car model, take you friends drinking all the time and live a life of luxury, then you are in trouble. But if you are a simple person that would live in a nice house (yes, there are nice houses in the capital, in nice urbanisacion, example: I rent my home for DR $6,000 and it's in a nice location, nice 3 bedrooms house, quiet and beautiful, no loud music and no crime or robberies), if you are not high maintenance, then I see no problems with you making it with that amount. I know that I would not be able to do it (only because I paid much more than that at month just for my daughter college education), but that does not mean that you can not do it. Some people have made it with much less than that. Follow your heart and go for it. If a dominican can make it with $10,000 and less, then you can make it. Just don't go out and rent a house for $20,000 a month. Example: My friend Ramon Arias makes about $7, 000 and his wife makes about $9,000. He has nice old reliable car, they live in a ok neighborhood, pays about $ 4,000 in rent and so far he is not crying wolf. He is making it. He does not have the luxury to do certain things but then again he is a simple person that have adapted to live according to his mean. Again, if dominicans have been able do make it with far less than that, you can make it too.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
If you are willing to make some fundamental sacrifices to keep your fixed expenses to a minimum then 40k is alot. (You're single, right?) If you want anything close to an American standard of living then think of it as what it really is - less than US minimum wage.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Escott said:
Sure, if you don't eat, drink, have a girlfriend, drive a car or have to wear clothes. 800 US a month mas y menos. Pays the rent on a decent apartment.

Scotty! I'm paying a little over that for an apartment in the middle of Manhattan, it can't possibly be that expensive for SD. Stop discouraging the gringos!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
TheOne said:

You can pick up an ok unfurnished apartment for RD$8-10,000 monthly in an ok location. Then again, it depends if your Dominican or not. If they see a gringo, expect a price change.

RD$40,000 is a good wage by Dominican standards today, it was a very good wage last year and it might be just an avergae wage later this year. Who knows with the way the exchange is moving.

If your young free and have no ties, do it, what have you got to loose?
By the way, make sure it's a real job...

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
I know business owners that make half of that per month.

It all depends on how you expect to live. There are plenty of dominicans that are making due on 5,000 - 7,000 peso per month salary. I know most do not what to live like that but 40,000 is alot more than 5,000.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You also need to ask about conditions like health insurance cover, etc. If it is included it makes a lot of difference. Contrary to what some people here say, RD$40,000 puts you well into the middle class income bracket. Many people here manage to sustain something approximating to a middle class lifestyle on much less than that.

Chiri

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Claro que si!!!

Chirimoya said:
You also need to ask about conditions like health insurance cover, etc. If it is included it makes a lot of difference. Contrary to what some people here say, RD$40,000 puts you well into the middle class income bracket. Many people here manage to sustain something approximating to a middle class lifestyle on much less than that.

Chiri
CORRECTOMUNDO, HEYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

ghe

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 21, 2004
salary

Its good enough, like what they said. As long as you know how to handle your budget and money, you will sure take the advantage of it.