how difficult to find jobs in sd?

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
I am not sure how to ask this or where. Does anyone know how tight the entry level job market is in Santo Domingo? In the States there is a plethora of entry level jobs available, and I have been talking with an amiga about her job prospects there (being SD). I realize this is vague, but I have no starting point for reference.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Right now, it is hard to get almost any kind of job in Santo Domingo. There are a lot of people who have been let go because of the economy. I didn't say, impossible, but very difficult to find anything and even more difficult to find what you are looking for. On a scale of 1-10, the US might earn a 2 and the DR an 8 or 9 right now.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Go to this link below, it has a listing of job positions available in the Dominican Republic and some other countries (like Mexico, Spain, etc.) Most Dominican jobs are lousy when it comes to the pay factor, but I have browse this link a few times and I have catched about 8 to 10 job openings (for certain professions) with pay in the high $10k to $20k and sometimes even beyond $20k and I'm talking American Greenbacks (which are king in the Dominican Republic right now). Those figures (though low by U.S. standards) can guarantee a relatively good to very good lifestyle in the Dominican Republic. So, search and there might be something out there in Santo Domingo, Santiago, or elsewhere.

http://www.aldaba.org/empleo.php

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
Thanks for the info and suggestions. I didn't think it was that bad. Mexico is in a bit of a pickle about good paying jobs, but there are service jobs available (clerks, secretarial etc) that can be found, if one wants to do that work. I would have thought that taking one of those jobs was better than nothing, but people tend to eschew them . I wasn't sure if RD was the same.