Verizon or Codetel Job

sandman2570

Feb 25, 2004
Hello again,

I seem to have been offered a job with Verizon in the DR. Was wandering if anyone has any news about them in the DR. I know they are codetel and infotel their. I applied for it here in the US and have been offered a position. Please let me know if anyone has heard good or Bad things about them their. I am due to arrive on the 9th of March and want to be prepared. :smoke:

pati

Feb 3, 2004
I was considering asking some Verizon related questions myself.If you don't mind what job title are you in? I'm a Central Office Technican.

dwntwn22

Aug 25, 2003
Verizon

Hi, I also work for Verizon in the US....30 miles east of Pittsburgh, I would be glad to answer any questions you have..I have checked out the Jobs in the DR and can tell you that you wont make near the amount of money you make here, any question just ask...Im the support and response center...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I have an uncle that works for Verizon. I don't know what position he's in or what exactly are his duties but I know he earns RD$45K per month and that's Dominican Pesos which at an exchange rate of RD$50 to US$1 it would be something like US$900. He lives in a middle class neighborhood known as Don Armando in Puerto Plata, he has a cell phone, a Toyota Camry of 2002, computer with internet, in short, a comfortable lifestyle. I know he is currently taking some courses in Santiago (probably Madre y Maestra University) to further advance himself in some higher position that's open (I hope that's not the position you were offered). Anyways, there might be some good positions opened, just do some research and ask around within the company and stuff.

pati

Feb 3, 2004
Are the jobs in Verizon Dominicana unionized? I would think that the pay would be relative to the cost of living in DR, right?. I know even in the states the paid scales depends on your geographical area. The weekly rate in Florida is about $200 to $300 a week less for the same job title as it is in NYC. It is still great when compared to the cost of living Florida.Shouldn't the same hold true for DR? Also I heard you have to have connections to get into Verizon in DR unless you get a transfer from the US. How true is that?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Verizon Dominicana IS Codetel!!!! Verizon has had an investment in Codetel for quite a few years & have just "taken a major shareholding" in the company, hence the name change to Verizon Dominicana C. por A. Where are you going to be working? Any chance of you doing enhancements to my system?? Should think that with a bit of careful (but discreet) planning, you might be able to earn quite a bit on the side by 'helping friends out'!!

If you get work on the North Coast, I know a couple of guys & their families who would love to have you as a friend!!! How about a sattelite or Cable internet connection that works FAST???? - Grahame.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Well, in the case of my uncle, he has been working there forever now. When he got the job, Codetel was still owned by GTE. That was back in the mid-1990s.

About the connections. You don't always need some connections to get a good job in the DR, you can do it yourself. The thing is that it's kind of a guarantee that you will get a job if you have connections within that company rather than playing the "did I qualify or not" game. When you have connections and you ask for a job, sometimes there will be some new position created just for you or they will fire someone with no connections to put you in. If you don't have a connection, you have to be very qualified for the job you're applying and you must be the very best to avoid being fired so that your position can go to a "friend" of the business owner or manager.

amm6

Sep 10, 2003
verizon in US

My husband worked for Codetel in Santo Domingo up until recently until we moved to NY. It payed better than many people get paid there, but to have what we wanted it was just not enough. If you took that job, you would get paid in dollars? If so that would not be too bad.

Also, for those who work for Verizon in the US...
My husband is looking to work for Verizon again here, where would be the best place to start that contact?
Thanks, ammy...

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I hope one you is going to be able to hook up internet flash at my house. I ordered it 6 months ago and all I got now is a phone line with static that doesnt work, that I have to pay a bill for. Hundreds of phone calls, a technician comes, tells me another technician has to do the job, then I wait 6 weeks again while calling every day, then the cycle just repeats itself. The office tells me if I dont' pay the bill then I will not be able to get service in the future. Like I get it now but I do need dial up and they probably will cut that account off if I dont pay the line for the (non-existant) flash line. They have now assured me the line in the road will be fixed..hah...I believe it when I see it (or hear it).

pati

Feb 3, 2004
Amm6,
You didn't specify if your husband is looking for a management or associate position. You can check out their website www.verizon.com/careers. For former associate positions I found an automated phone number of 800-791-7803. I hope that helps.

Cinthya

Nov 2, 2004
Do you think you can help me?

Nal0whs said:
I have an uncle that works for Verizon. I don't know what position he's in or what exactly are his duties but I know he earns RD$45K per month and that's Dominican Pesos which at an exchange rate of RD$50 to US$1 it would be something like US$900. He lives in a middle class neighborhood known as Don Armando in Puerto Plata, he has a cell phone, a Toyota Camry of 2002, computer with internet, in short, a comfortable lifestyle. I know he is currently taking some courses in Santiago (probably Madre y Maestra University) to further advance himself in some higher position that's open (I hope that's not the position you were offered). Anyways, there might be some good positions opened, just do some research and ask around within the company and stuff.

Hi my name is Cinthya and i work for Verizon here in teh USA. I actually have a favor to ask of you! I have a sister in law in DR that is dying to work for Verizon down there. i have tried everything in my power but have yet to find contact for her in DR. Do you think your uncle would be able to help her get her foot in the door? I would really appreciate it! any help would be appreciated, its tough for anyone to get a job down there and shes got her degree! please feel free to e mail me or reply. thanks! Xcinthyax@aol.com

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Cinthya said:
Hi my name is Cinthya and i work for Verizon here in teh USA. I actually have a favor to ask of you! I have a sister in law in DR that is dying to work for Verizon down there. i have tried everything in my power but have yet to find contact for her in DR. Do you think your uncle would be able to help her get her foot in the door? I would really appreciate it! any help would be appreciated, its tough for anyone to get a job down there and shes got her degree! please feel free to e mail me or reply. thanks! Xcinthyax@aol.com
He's no longer affiliated with that company. That was a while ago.

bienvenido

Sep 5, 2004
you lucky. there are a lot of Dominican looking for a job and can+t find it. Verizon Dominican descriminate against other Dominicans. I hope one day the entire company disappeared from this country.

Responsibly

hector

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Got to be Kidding!!!!

bienvenido said:
you lucky. there are a lot of Dominican looking for a job and can+t find it. Verizon Dominican descriminate against other Dominicans. I hope one day the entire company disappeared from this country.

Responsibly

hector

If the company leaves you can kiss your telecommunications except for wireless goodby. What makes you think that they discriminate against dominicans, They have less than 40 foreigners working here as xpats. and somewhere around 6 to 8 thousand employees or more? don't see a lot of discrimiation there.

I believe she said that they were wondering if a job might be availiable here, not that she had one. the other person works for Verizon in the US.

If she speaks english have her try either Verizon International

And as for the person that started this thread I am assuming is at least an manager or director level, if he is being transfered here by Verizon, don't remember them ever transfering on an xpat package any one lower than a very senion level tech. or managment. its expensive, you don't do it for run of the mill jobs.

And yes I do know what I am talking about worked for Codetel for 7 years as an xpat.

Last edited: