When does Easter break 2004 begin?

bnjj

Feb 28, 2004
Hola!

Can anyone please tell me when the Easter Break festivities will start and the water craft will go to a halt - will it be Monday, April 5 or Wednesday, April 7 as I've read both in various places on the net. I'm just wondering if I'd still be able to take a catamaran snorkelling trip on the Monday or Tuesday or if that won't be available due to Easter.

Thank you,
BnJJ

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Semana Santa

bnjj said:
Hola!

Can anyone please tell me when the Easter Break festivities will start and the water craft will go to a halt - will it be Monday, April 5 or Wednesday, April 7 as I've read both in various places on the net. I'm just wondering if I'd still be able to take a catamaran snorkelling trip on the Monday or Tuesday or if that won't be available due to Easter.

Thank you,
BnJJ

Starts Sat. April 3rd and will be over at about 6 p.m. Easter Sunday the 11th. My understanding is the AI's themselves curtail activities as the resorts are so full - outside you should be able to book in advance and go. I doubt many Dominicans use those types of excursions since they could do a one day thing any time of the year.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Read this thread

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26522&highlight=easter

All motorized water sports are banned during a certain time frame, music must stop and as I remember discos were closed until a certain time as well. It is not just the AI's that put this into effect and no one would be allowed to sell you anything off resort because you can't jet ski etc period.
BTW - I lived there during two Samana Santas, and the lack of noise - even for a few hours was a dream come true!!!!!
Intersting note - Marina stated in the above thread that Cabarete does get special permission each year to continue sailboarding and kitesurfing.

bnjj

Feb 28, 2004
Well, I've obviously picked the wrong time to be going there as it sounds like I won't be able to go on a catamaran for a snorkelling excurision or anything of the like that involves motorized boats the entire week I am there.

Oh well, you live you learn I guess.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Some baloney Mixed in with the Roast Beef

marliejaneca said:
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26522&highlight=easter

All motorized water sports are banned during a certain time frame, music must stop and as I remember discos were closed until a certain time as well. It is not just the AI's that put this into effect and no one would be allowed to sell you anything off resort because you can't jet ski etc period.
BTW - I lived there during two Samana Santas, and the lack of noise - even for a few hours was a dream come true!!!!!
Intersting note - Marina stated in the above thread that Cabarete does get special permission each year to continue sailboarding and kitesurfing.

The motorized stuff quite often refers to the AI's who don't want to do it as they have more requests than supplies. I have seen motorized boats , non-AI in Boca Chica during SS. Discos were not closed at all nor have I seen a day they've ever been unless closed for good by the cops.. And the stores are all open etc., as well.

The basic advice is if you go during Semanaa Santa and you haven't been there before, be flexible or go another time which is a far better idea frankly. It's noisy and crowded and you will have a lack of some stuff. Arrive Good Friday and see a day and a 1/2 of it which is lots.

I would be AMAZED if EVERY tour/excursion operator was shut down for the week, or at all - those independently arranged an not thru the AI desks (where no doubt you pay more) . Those dumb safari truck tours seem to go by every single day of the year. Since they all have web sites and phone numbers it also occurs to me that maybe the OP can call them him/herself and ask them.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
I think there may have been a misunderstanding - the activities are not shut down for a whole week - it is just a matter of a few hours.
And this is only what I experienced in Puerto Plata - I can't speak for Boca Chica or other areas. Ricktoronto frequents BC and would know better what happens there.
Where exactly are you staying? Maybe someone from this board who is living there right now will be able to inform you better.
Don't let this ruin your vacation, like I said it does not affect the whole Easter week just a matter of hours.
Marlie

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
ricktoronto said:
Those dumb safari truck tours seem to go by every single day of the year.

Whats up with them? Is it just something else you can't stand or are they actually 'dumb'?

bnjj

Feb 28, 2004
marliejaneca said:
Where exactly are you staying? Maybe someone from this board who is living there right now will be able to inform you better.
Don't let this ruin your vacation, like I said it does not affect the whole Easter week just a matter of hours.
Marlie
Thanks Marlie. I am staying at the Puerto Plata Village. When you say "a few hours" do you mean a few hours each day are affected or just a few hours on a particular day and if so, which day? I'm sorry but I'm not following you. Thanks.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
They are as Dominican as I Am

tired_boy said:
Whats up with them? Is it just something else you can't stand or are they actually 'dumb'?

I'd say hire a car and driver and take a bottle of Brugal and drive around and see stuff. 50 AI tourists in the back of a truck getting drunk on rum and driving in a park is not my idea of tourism. And they are not inexpensive, though cheaper if you avoid the hotel surcharge and go direct .

To each his own but there are better ways to see the sights and commune with the people which is what tourism is. I would describe these packages as tame parts of a "vacation" as they can take place anywhere without any apprecaible change in the impression of local culture.

My point is hopefully to put off one tourist in 500 from the same old tired crap and to participate in the local community and hopefully commerce. They do they do, they don't they don't.

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Easter Week

Well, back to the original question....

We were at the Riu Merengue during Eater break, and yes some of the excursions, and someof the typical resort happenings were slowed down, or actually suspended in some cases, but only for a couple of days.

The one thing we found though, was the extra people in the resorts, as they are then open to the people of the Dominican for those couple of days.

(we were informed only the wealthy Dominicans could afford it, and I must say, they may be able to afford the resort, but obviously manners were not something they packed for the vacation)

You will get through, just book your excursions around the shut-down, and enjoy the local flavour during those times.

Get out of the resort...see the local sites...use a taxi, get someone you feel comfortable with, and use them the whole time you are there.

Thats a real excursion anyway.

Cheers
Jimmy

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
tired_boy said:

The people who take those tours must be incredibly bored. Every time I pass one of those trucks everybody stares at my completely ordinary, unimpressive car. They all look like they want to escape from the tour guide yelling at them through the megaphone.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Or...

they are just so drunk their brains have gone numb!!!
bnjj - sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but I was trying to research somewhere, anywhere that was DR related to see if there was actual times mentioned where everything was shut down. For some reason, I can't recall things shut down for a couple of days though, I was sure it was just one day, but seeing everyone elses' posts made me second guess myself. I know the discos in Playa Dorada were shut down one night until 12:01am and I am thinking it was Easter Sunday and then there were such long line ups to get in to them, everyone ended up partying in the parking lots!! Ah... maybe that is why I can't remember much!!!!
I do know however that it wasn't a whole week!!!!
Like scoobster said, go have fun, enjoy the quiet time, observe the supposed aristocratic Dominicans (like Scoobster said they forget to pack their manners), it will not ruin your entire vacation. And most importantly, you will witness how another culture celebrates this holy event - something to write for your memoirs!
Marlie
Robert- may be a good idea for someone to observe, research and make notes this year during Samama Santa and then have either a thread here for future questions or a blip on your travel page with the actual facts of motorized water sports shut downs etc. 'Cause you know this question will be asked again next year, and we are all getting older and our memories start to fail!!!!! Just a thought.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nasty nasty

It seems to me that the preocupation of the original poster is basically unfounded.

From what I have observed, jet skis and other morterized water craft are banned at most beaches for safety reasons ( a person was cut up one time by a drag boat going all out in Boca Chica).

As for excursions, I am sure that most of them will be operating. The trip to the falls the catamaran and so forth. There are enough of them to be able to substitute aplenty.

As for music, It has been my experience that only 12 noon Good Friday until 3:00 p.m. on Good Friday are there restrictions on music in public places.

Most of the time it is wide open go for it fun. Try walking along the malecon in Puerto Plata any afternoon or evening...that's a blast.

Re: Dominicans and manners. I do not think that it is nice to say that they left their manners at home. They just behave differently than you do. And, after all, having enough money to enjoy a week at an AI does not equal breeding or couth...But you don't have to generalize. Most of the really wealthy Dominicans own their own homes and don't go to POP or Sosua for Easter week....

HB

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Re: Dominicans and manners. I do not think that it is nice to say that they left their manners at home. They just behave differently than you do. And, after all, having enough money to enjoy a week at an AI does not equal breeding or couth...But you don't have to generalize. Most of the really wealthy Dominicans own their own homes and don't go to POP or Sosua for Easter week....

HB

You are right Hillbilly. It wasn't proper of me to agree with Scoobster regarding the manners because I was doing just that - generalizing.
I was just commenting on some of the experiences I went through, and I wasn't staying at a resort but was working at one, therefore observing, and I mean, observing a lot!!!

bnjj

Feb 28, 2004
It seems to me that the preocupation of the original poster is basically unfounded.

From what I have observed, jet skis and other morterized water craft are banned at most beaches for safety reasons ( a person was cut up one time by a drag boat going all out in Boca Chica).

As for excursions, I am sure that most of them will be operating. The trip to the falls the catamaran and so forth. There are enough of them to be able to substitute aplenty.
Thanks Hillbilly, and everyone else, I'm glad to hear that excursions are not curtailed during this time.

ETA - I will be sure to make note of what my experiences are when there this year and will report back on what all was affected by the Easter break.

Last edited:

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Appology

I am sorry if I offended anyone, as that was not my intention.

Yet, on the week we were at the Merengue, I must confess that 33% of the resort were Dominican families, and of that 2% were curtious.

Not trying to group all together, just in that one instance.

The people of the Dominican are wonderful, and thats why we travel there every year...and go to the villages...buyfrom the shops...and donate to the children of the country.

I am sure that I am speakingof 1% of the people...just the same as here in Canada, where I am sure that the number would be higher.

Cheers
Jimmy