where can i find information on the mirabal sisters?

amandasp

Mar 3, 2004
i am a college student and i have to write a paper on their part in the fight against trujillo and on thier lives....is there anyway anyone in this site can help me.....is there anywhere on the web that i can find information on them????? if so please email me asap at amandita_para_ti@hotmail.com

pati

Feb 3, 2004
There's a movie called "In the Time of the Butterflies" that is on video/dvd. The movie is based on a book by Julia Alvarez.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Also, if you click on the search button on the top of this thread and type in Mirabal sisters, there are a few threads discussing them. One of the threads is from someone that was doing a research paper such as yourself. One of the responses said to contact the University of New York and lists the contact numbers etc for the Dominican Studies program.
Sorry I would have included the links in this post but there are a few - some may not be interesting to you so this way you can pick and choose from the list.
Hope that helps.
Marlie

Last edited:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Amanda did you choose this subject or was it assigned to you? My family got to meet them, Trujillo actually had a lot of property in San Cristobal where my family settled years ago from Ocoa. It is in fact a sad story and the move (with Salma Hayek and Marc Anthony) is a gret way to start, Although, of course, the book is better.

Can you let me read your paper when you are done? I would love to see what else you find out.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Mirabel Museum

There is a museum of the Mariposas, the Mirabels, outside Puerto Plata. Dede Mirabel, the surviving sister, has dedicated herself to preserving their legacy. But the best source of info is Julia Alvarez's book, In the Time of the Butterflies. The movie is fun, but it leaves out everything important--try and find out whether the diary excerpts in the book are authentic before you quote them. You might get in trouble with your teacher otherwise. Good luck--it's a wonderful subject and will give you great pride in Dominican women. We're beautiful, smart and courageous. :eek:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The museum is outside Salcedo, on the road to Tenares, to be precise, and contrary to the replies here their surname is spelt 'Mirabal' as you did in the thread title.

As well as 'In the Time of the Butterflies' I suggest you read the chapter 'chasing the butterflies' in Julia Alvarez' 'Something to Declare' in which she describes how she came to write the book.

Chiri

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Careful

Tony C said:
Do a search on DR1. Type in Mirabal Golo. There you will find the truth about those...........people!
As explained in another thread, DR1.com is a private profit making organization devoted to maintaining the status quo.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Gabriela said:
As explained in another thread, DR1.com is a private profit making organization devoted to maintaining the status quo.

Status Quo?
The Status Quo is that the Mirabal Sisters were Heroines.
Some of us know the truth!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Is highjacking EVERY thread your favorite pass time Tony??

BTW, dont answer me, I will have no part in taking such a detour on a potentially good and educational thread.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Talldrink said:
Is highjacking EVERY thread your favorite pass time Tony??

BTW, dont answer me, I will have no part in taking such a detour on a potentially good and educational thread.

How am I highjacking this thread?
Somebody asked about where they can find info on the Mirabal sisters. I offered a source.
Apparently you believe that if somebody offers a different of opinion than yours then the thread is Highjacked!

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Tony C said:
Status Quo?
The Status Quo is that the Mirabal Sisters were Heroines.
Some of us know the truth!

No....... I know the truth........status quo were

Francis Rossi (lead guitar, vocals)
Rick Parfitt (rhythm guitar, vocals)
Andrew Bown (keyboards, vocals)
John 'Rhino' Edwards (bass, vocals)
Matthew Letley (drums)

From australia i think, nothing to do with the DR :classic: