can the aunts help me?

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
"Vos" vs. "vosotros"

I say "vos" is the same as "tu"--informal and singular
and "vosotros" is the informal plural form (most Spanish countries use "ustedes")

So, for example, como estas vos would make sense...as well as como estais vosotros...but not como estas vosotros or como estais vos...right?

What is the origin of "vos"?

Why is "vosotros" not in common usage?

hope this thread makes sense.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Vos/Vosotros

MaineGirl said:
"Vos" vs. "vosotros"

Why is "vosotros" not in common usage?

hope this thread makes sense.

Are actually in common use in Spain and less commonly but used in some South American countries just not the DR, Mexico, Central America etc. Most or many good Spanish instructional books will go over where it is used, maybe even why it is still in some places and not others.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Funny, that, MG: I was thinking of posting a question on a similar topic.

'Vos' is archaic, it has fallen out of use in Spain and most parts of Latin America. It survives in Argentina, Uruguay, some Central American countries and in Colombia and Ecuador. In some of these countries, it is used instead of t?. In some, t? is (I think) the more familiar, vos being somewhere in between t? and usted. Or is it the other way round?

Vosotros - the informal second person plural - is only used in Spain these days, and in some Spanish literature and religious texts. It is less common in the south, where ustedes is more common, as in Latin America.

It is, as you say, the plural of 'vos'. the correct form is '?como estais?' (vosotros but you don't need to specify it) meaning how are you? (plural).

Chiri

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Vos/Vosotros

I have heard that is more commonly used in Argentina.

I asked 1 of my Dominican friends about the usage of vos/vosotros as I was reading a Spanish grammar book a few years ago and he said that sometimes the lower classes of DR use this form (perhaps to sound more sophisticated). Sure enough, we came across some girls in Ambis who addressed me as "vos."

Has anyone else heard this?

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
As Chirimoya says, Vos is used still in sudaca countries like Argentina, Paraguay, Bolivia, Colombia, etc. and it is specially notorious in Guatemala.
Vosotros is more used in Spain but it still is used by some sudacas, just no those near the caribean nor central amercia nor the islands.

I would not quite say these forms of grammar are archaic or in extinction since these are still widely used by millions of sudacas and spaniards and are still being taught at schools all over the world.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Thanks for the replies so far.

I am a Spanish teacher and teach the conjugation of second person plural (vosotros) but have never seen "vos" in a textbook. I've heard it used by my sister in law from B.A. and a friend from Bolivia. I've never heard "vosotros" actually used except in Los Disaparecidos. I've read the form in the Bible, too.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"Che, pibe, vos miraste el gol de Diego?"

In Argentina, the 'vos' is very much in vogue, especially in the popular speech. In some areas, perhaps Guatemala, the use of 'vos' among indiginous people is accepted but its use by "whites" in addressing "indians" is regarded as an insult. (Or something like that. It's been a long, long time.)

Vos and Vosotros are, generally speaking, well out of use in most of the Spanish speaking world, tu sabes?

As a teacher, you have the obligation to teach the fact that it exists, but vos pod?s olvidar su uso diario, che pibe!

HB

Note: ESPN Latin American has a bunch of programs on "f?tbol" from Argentina. You can really hear the use of "vos" on those programs...