Parking in Cabarete

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
A little note to other tourists visiting Cabarete.....Be careful where you park! Apparently there is only legal parking on one side of the street. I had been to Cabarete several times before and always parked wherever I wanted but yesterday, I returned from a nice day at the beach to find 2 surprises on my car. The first was a summons on the windshield and the second was an iron clamp around one of my front tires. A policeman walked over to me as I was looking in surprise at the iron clamp and told me that it was illegal to park where I was and I had to pay a 300 peso fine. Sure enough, I looked up and saw a no parking sign and was very relieved to learn that I was going to get out of the situation with only a 6 dollar fine. I paid him, he removed the clamp and I drove away.
Larry

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Thanks for the heads up. I travel alot to cabarete after my first kitesurfing lesson in november and I have been wondering all this time about the parking problem there. There just isnt any parking available!

I propose two alternatives:

One - gratuituous valet parking - This would be sweet!!

Two - Build a freaking parking lot outside the strip and make EVERYONE park there. Charge RD$ 10.00(us0.20?) an hour and RD$20.00(us 0.40?) each additional hour. Offer additional washing service at RD$ 100 (us2.00).Use the money to clean the beach and pay the employees and materiales. I think this is reasonable.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Larry said:
A little note to other tourists visiting Cabarete.....Be careful where you park! Apparently there is only legal parking on one side of the street. I had been to Cabarete several times before and always parked wherever I wanted but yesterday, I returned from a nice day at the beach to find 2 surprises on my car. The first was a summons on the windshield and the second was an iron clamp around one of my front tires. A policeman walked over to me as I was looking in surprise at the iron clamp and told me that it was illegal to park where I was and I had to pay a 300 peso fine. Sure enough, I looked up and saw a no parking sign and was very relieved to learn that I was going to get out of the situation with only a 6 dollar fine. I paid him, he removed the clamp and I drove away.
Larry

Everybody needs to make a buck!

At least he could buy a few beers with the RD$300.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
samiam said:
Thanks for the heads up. I travel alot to cabarete after my first kitesurfing lesson in november and I have been wondering all this time about the parking problem there. There just isnt any parking available!

I propose two alternatives:

One - gratuituous valet parking - This would be sweet!!

Two - Build a freaking parking lot outside the strip and make EVERYONE park there. Charge RD$ 10.00(us0.20?) an hour and RD$20.00(us 0.40?) each additional hour. Offer additional washing service at RD$ 100 (us2.00).Use the money to clean the beach and pay the employees and materiales. I think this is reasonable.

Your about 10 years ahead of your time!

Dominicans, do not like walking, especially if they have a car. The "park n ride" culture has never been seen here. Europeans and others park all over the street in Caberete because they can.

The only way you will see change is if the business owners get together, get organized and make it happen. It will not come from the local tourism officials or local government people.
Plus I?m sure the local cop making RD$300 clamping people will not be very happy :)

Caberete has the ingredients to be a fabulous destination, they just have to get organized, avoid anyone that has anything to do with the government or turismo. Power to the people!

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
.. a note to those of us who live here and don't get paid in dollars:

get yourself up to cabarete.
make a fortune after investing in one of those wheel clamps.

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
parking lot in the middle of town!

you can park in the middle of town in the complex that houses L'agencie rental agency, Netphone, the tatoo/haircut place and various other small businesses. The 15RD per hour is well worth it!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Don't change a thing

If you can't find parking, go back home. There must be too many people there, so come back another time.

Actually, the boot thing is like valet parking. What could be better really, you get your car looked after and a big lock put on it. No one's going to steal it.

If you have the money to have a car and visit Cabarete often, you're a big enough high-roller to deal with $6.

Better yet, buy your own boot and cut out the middle man.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Cleef said:
If you can't find parking, go back home. There must be too many people there, so come back another time.

Actually, the boot thing is like valet parking. What could be better really, you get your car looked after and a big lock put on it. No one's going to steal it.

If you have the money to have a car and visit Cabarete often, you're a big enough high-roller to deal with $6.

Better yet, buy your own boot and cut out the middle man.

Hmmmm. Interesting response Cleef. Actually, I wasn't complaining about what happened as the 6 dollars means nothing to me. I just wanted to warn others so they could avoid the hassle. I am also well aware that the 300 pesos went into the guys pocket and it is just their way of extorting a few bucks from tourists. Actually, next time I am in Cabarete I might park in the exact same spot. It's a pain in the *** trying to find a spot on the right side and you have to go to the end if the strip to make a U-turn to come back and continue searching for a legal spot. Whats 6 bucks anyway? Pedro O'Sheas charges that for a pepsi for Christ Sake.

Larry

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Larry said:
Actually, next time I am in Cabarete I might park in the exact same spot. It's a pain in the *** trying to find a spot on the right side and you have to go to the end if the strip to make a U-turn to come back and continue searching for a legal spot.

I'll take you on your advice. Next time I'm there, I am parking long term baby!!!

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
ahhhhhh, the boot

We had heard rumors about the boot in Sosua/Cabarete....nobody had ever seen it, and it was a legend.

Then we got it put on our car!

Twice!

lol - at least the cop was still near your car when you returned, we had to chase him down as he would install it then wander off!

m