importing a sailboat

Miko

May 23, 2003
anyone went thrue the experience a shipping a small sailboat to DR? Since I own a place in Cabarete, and not into windsurfing or kitesurfing, I want to bring in a 16 footer olympic class sailboat. Anyone knows if any roll-on/roll-off ships travel between Miami and Puerto Plata, otherwise would have to look into container:classic:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Assuming you have the boat here, where will you keep in when not sailing it. Are you going to launch it from shore, or are you thinking about mooring the boat?

Rules regarding boat use are very different from any other place that I have been. The use of boats is much more tightly controlled. One reason for this is the fear that unauthorized persons will use the boat to cross to Puerto Rico. Don't laugh, but people have tried the crossing in vessels less seaworthy than yours.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Personally, I think it would be a lot cheaper for you to have one built here.
Have the materials sent in from the States. You can't buy Marine grade plywood in the DR and I know of no one who would special order such for you.
Having one layed up out of Polyester and cloth wouldn't work because of lack of expertise in doing so here.
Ordering one from the States (with trailer) might prove to be expensive and more headache than it's worth.
Whatever you do, don't moor it publically or it'll be gone the next morning.

Texas Bill

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Miko said:
anyone went thrue the experience a shipping a small sailboat to DR? Since I own a place in Cabarete, and not into windsurfing or kitesurfing, I want to bring in a 16 footer olympic class sailboat. Anyone knows if any roll-on/roll-off ships travel between Miami and Puerto Plata, otherwise would have to look into container:classic:

Contrary to popular believe you can:

#1- Buy your boat in the international market

#2- Bring your boat into the DR without major problems (with the exception of speed boats used by drug traffic)

#3- You have to pay Import taxes for your vessel just like you would for a car

#4- The best way to bring it would be to ship it in a container and not by roll off, it's cheaper and would protect your vessel from on board looting, there're a "few" companies that do roll on/ roll off from FL to RD.

#5- There' re people and shops in the DR that can in fact repair/order parts/ upgrade/ customize/ etc your boat just like any pro here in the states, for contact info visit or call the Federacion Dominicana de Velas, they can hook you up with whom you need.

#6- Build a garage in your home for your boat if you want to own it for a long time, or else the next time you see it would be in a newspaper pic on the shores off PR without a Cap, just like mine did find it's way there by himself.

#7- You can register your boat here in the US or in the DR, it all depends how long you plan to stay with it in the DR, a very important piece of info for your insurance, something of a joke in the DR (I found out the hard way).

#8- There's Marine grade Plywood in the DR, also you can get Top-notch fiberglass repair kits for your boat there too, just get in contact with the right people (again from personal experience).

#9- You mentioned you want an Olympic class sailboat, I know of several boats for sale in the DR, I don't know about a 16' but I guess you can find many there, it's going to be in the 8,000 to 9,000 with trailer ball park (US$).

#10- When I'm ready to go back to DR I'll buy my Sail here in FL, ship it in a container with the Racing upgrades already installed with as many extra parts just in case as I can afford, sails included, this kind of boat are sure an expensive hobby in the DR, but one I enjoy immensely.

Last edited:

Miko

May 23, 2003
many thanks

Pichardo, you provided a wealth of info. Was weary of roll-on/roll-off for same reasons and the storires I read here on DR1. Probably more chances of getting in one piece in container. I am right on the ocean in Cabarete (Nanny Estate) so should be fairly secure with our guards and staff.
Texas Bill: the kind of boat I am looking at bringing down is not one that you just make out of plywood.
Here is a link to give you an idea: www.49er.org
:cool:

Miko

May 23, 2003
also

Pichardo, do you know of any web sites in DR for sailboats for sale?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I just checked the Federacion Dominicana de Velas and found some boat listings in the site, even a few 16' ers, yet if you can make contact directly with them you may get a wealth of information you won't find in any web site, I'm posting the URL of the site here so you could check it out yourself.

I would buy my boat here in FL if I were you, since they don't keep much history on the boats in the RD, some boats may had been repaired from a major accident or else, but if you contact the Federation directly you may obtain more secured information on what you need, I lost my boat to piracy on 1998, and haven't been involved with members of the federation ever since, but I think it would be a great idea for you to get involved with it's members, since they're very kin to Sailboats and can offer their help in your quest.

http://www.fdvela.org/boats_forsale.asp