Furnishing 1 bdr condo

pavel

Nov 14, 2003
Hello everyone.... I m actualy new at this, therefore would appreciate your input and answers.....I will have to furnish 1 bdr condo.in Sosua . where is the best place to buy Furniture ??? / POP or Santiago/ are the prices in pesos?? negotiable? is it possible to pay with CC from US / does it make any sense ?/ or cash payment gives you discount.?. what about delivery ?? do they deliver ?? do you pay after items are deliverd ?? is there good selection in furniture ?? any comparison with US furniture prices would be helpful.. / are there lazy boy avail. ??/ and finaly does somebody have decent furniture to sell.??..l Looking forward to your help. Best regards and many tks .. Paul

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Do you have a Dominican friend that can buy it for you (that you can trust)? Chances are, if a Dominican goes asking, the price will be a fair bit cheaper than a gringo will get it for.

We bought a very nice bed for my husband's mom recently that cost $8500 RD. My husband's cousin looked in Santiago, Puerto Plata, and Sosua, and the best price for that bed was (surprisingly?) in Sosua. It was a place in Charamicos, and I have no clue how to spell it, but it sounds like Fauto's...it's right down the street from the clinic.

Good luck!

pavel

Nov 14, 2003
trina said:
Do you have a Dominican friend that can buy it for you (that you can trust)? Chances are, if a Dominican goes asking, the price will be a fair bit cheaper than a gringo will get it for.

We bought a very nice bed for my husband's mom recently that cost $8500 RD. My husband's cousin looked in Santiago, Puerto Plata, and Sosua, and the best price for that bed was (surprisingly?) in Sosua. It was a place in Charamicos, and I have no clue how to spell it, but it sounds like Fauto's...it's right down the street from the clinic.

Good luck!
tks... trina for the info would like//prefer / to buy all the furniture at once..and no I do not have anybody/ Dominican friend to negotiate the prices/ I do not speak even Spanisch... hopefuly there will be more responses to my questions..Tks again Rgds Paul

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
Were shall I begin.....

First......list all the things you will need and take them with you to a furniture store. Go to at least three stores to compare prices and and let them know that you plan on buying everything at one time. Also let them know you are going to other places. This will help in getting a discount.

Second.....I paid about 80,000 pesos/$2100 U.S to furnish a complete apartment. This included a master bedroom set, a single bed for a child, living room set, dining room set, stove, friegh, washing mashine, gas tank and some basic kitchen items. At the time the exchange was around 37 to 1. I recommend you buy asap since the price today will be different from the price tomorrow. They all base their furniture prices on the dollar and it increases as the dollar goes up. A day after can mean a difference of about 5000 pesos.

I did some comparison shopping in Santiago and Puerto Plata and the prices in Santiago were cheaper. I wound up paying half in cash and the rest on credit card from CitiBank.

They deliver for free, but I did give the guys a tip since they bring everything in and set it up for you.

If your in Santiago, go to Hawaii furniture. They had the best selection and prices from all the places I went to.

Last edited:

pavel

Nov 14, 2003
Furnishing cndo

santanatwins said:
First......list all the things you will need and take them with you to a furniture store. Go to at least three stores to compare prices and and let them know that you plan on buying everything at one time. Also let them know you are going to other places. This will help in getting a discount.

Second.....I paid about 80,000 pesos/$2100 U.S to furnish a complete apartment. This included a master bedroom set, a single bed for a child, living room set, dining room set, stove, friegh, washing mashine, gas tank and some basic kitchen items. At the time the exchange was around 37 to 1. I recommend you buy asap since the price today will be different from the price tomorrow. They all base their furniture prices on the dollar and it increases as the dollar goes up. A day after can mean a difference of about 5000 pesos.
did some comparison shopping in Santiago and Puerto Plata and the prices in Santiago were cheaper. I wound up paying half in cash and the rest on credit card from CitiBank.

They deliver for free, but I did give the guys a tip since they bring everything in and set it up for you.

If your in Santiago, go to Hawaii furniture. They had the best selection and prices from all the places I went to.
......Well tks Trina and Santana twins for your help .. NO one else tryied to help me out and bother .. the people from this forum are suppose to to HELP and ADVICE or was it just boring question ??????
somebody please respond in details tks Rgds Paul

Island Treats

Sep 5, 2003
SOSUALIVING.COM
Try COMERCIAL IMPERIAL located in Puerto Plata at Av. Circunvalacion Sur No.29. Do all your shopping under one roof. I also live in Sosua and is currently renovating an apartment. Their prices are reasonable. They also deliver. PM me for more details. :classic: : :classic:

Island Treats

Sep 5, 2003
SOSUALIVING.COM
I'm also using some high end caoba (mahogany) that is reasonably price. This store is also located in Puerto Plata off Isabel de Torres. They do not deliver but you may call TECNI-CARGA telephone number* 320-7621*. I think I paid about RD$600 to deliver from one end of the city to the other end.
Hope this helps.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
pavel said:
......Well tks Trina and Santana twins for your help .. NO one else tryied to help me out and bother .. the people from this forum are suppose to to HELP and ADVICE or was it just boring question ??????
somebody please respond in details tks Rgds Paul
Sheesh you just asked the question yesterday. I am really sorry I wasn't hanging out waiting to answer you. How much do you figure I owe you for my total disrespect?

pavel

Nov 14, 2003
1bdr condo furnihing

Escott said:
Sheesh you just asked the question yesterday. I am really sorry I wasn't hanging out waiting to answer you. How much do you figure I owe you for my total disrespect?
well just friendly answer... still waiting to find out where do I connect with yor friend who sells lot in Cabarete..rgds Paul

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
We bought our 2nd set of living room furniture at Artesania Rattan in Santiago. This is a custom furniture making warehouse; however, they have a large showroom of ready made rattan furniture - very beautiful and very nice fabrics.

We have a custom love seat and arm chair for sale if you're interested. We sat on it maybe 4 times when i saw this other set I liked better (my husband just shook his head). PM me and I'll send you pictures.

Also Casa Nelson in Puerta Plata has furniture. There are other stores in the square at POP, that sell very very nice furniture, but the prices were too expensive for me, with just having a vacation home.

I hired a taxi driver that freelances and has served many of us here on DR1. He drove me to Santiago, interpreted for me, took me to all the shops, and back home in 8 hours. It cost me about $50 US last year but was well worth it. If you're interested in contacting him on his cell, let me know.