newby

Chad Landry

Mar 5, 2004
My entire family (10) is Traveling down to Puerto Plata on 3/13. We are staying at the Occidental Flamenco. I have a few questions for all you season DR veterans.

1) Is their anything that is ?must see? while in Puerto Plata?
2) We all have the AI package, but I really think that we will be missing a lot if we don?t get into town at least a couple of nights to party at the bars. What is your experience with the DR nightlife? Stay at the resort or head into town?
3) I have done a little research and found this ?Pub Crawl? put on by Caf? Cita (I think that?s the name of it). Has anyone ever gone on it? It sounds fairly fun.
4) What is your favorite ?Mom and Pa? restaurant? Anything on the menu I can?t live without?
5) Besides the tap water, is there anything to steer clear of?

I think this forum is an absolutely great tool for pre-vacation planning. Thank you all!

Chad

PS.. sorry for the double post, I didn't realize it needed to be posted here

carsey700

Dec 5, 2003
What to see

If You are taking a cab or bus will make a difference in what to see and do in POP , Brugal rum factory tour on the hwy to POP, Long beach and the Malecon will take You directly to the fortress, overlooking Puerto Plata harbour ( don't take a picture of the Guy with the donkey or He will demand
money) park centrale in the center of POP has a cathedral not as impessive as Santo Domingo but nice, Cafe Cito used to be downtown and is a good place to eat and have a Presidente< I do not know if He closed this one and opened the new one or not I believe is near Playa Dorado complex, someone else could probably enlighten You better on that and other things to see in POP. If You are a ketchup fanatic take your own as most of the ketchup
In DR tastes like bbq sauce I had to take a bus to Boca Chica from Juan Dolio
to find heinz at 62 pesos which is fine but it took about 10 presidentes to find a mercado that had any .also face cloths as many hotels do not have them and maple syrup as at our hotel it was a cross between corn syrup and a poor substitute for aunt jemima and was not good on pancakes .
Lee

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just a few things to see or do

First off, good thinking
Now if you walk to the entrance of the Playa Dorada complex you can find local buses for about RD$10 pesos each that will take you into the city.

Cafe Cito is on the left side going towards the city, next to Harrisons Jewelry
Tim Hall has a couple of pub crawls a week. From all I have seen here they are well worth the trouble.

There are the day trips, especially the Damajagua Falls. People here say that you should book the trip with one of the guys on the beach since the hotels take a bigger percentage. Another pretty good adventure is a trip to Paradise Isle. While I hate to say it because the people that are running it are messing up my place, it seems to be a good deal for tourists...

There is also a trip to Santiago to visit the Leon Center, the best museum in the country right now.

And there is golf...

And a trip to Sosua to see Eddy and Eddy's Sports BAr, and eat at Rockys

HB