Study abroad in DR

mankind

Mar 6, 2004
My daughter is interested in studying abroad for a semester in Santiago. Does anybody have any info about studying abroad in the DR?

nancybelle

Feb 9, 2004
study abroad

I am considering the same thing--studying at least for a few weeks. I have not been able to locate any language schools in Santiago but there are 3 or 4 that seem very good in Santo Domingo. The one I am leaning toward is Hispaniola Academia Caribe de Lenguas. Good luck! I think it will be a grand experience. I studied for 4 summers in Salamanca, Spain, but still need far more instruction!!

mankind

Mar 6, 2004
nancybelle said:
I am considering the same thing--studying at least for a few weeks. I have not been able to locate any language schools in Santiago but there are 3 or 4 that seem very good in Santo Domingo. The one I am leaning toward is Hispaniola Academia Caribe de Lenguas. Good luck! I think it will be a grand experience. I studied for 4 summers in Salamanca, Spain, but still need far more instruction!!
What program are you looking at? We were looking at CIEE

nancybelle

Feb 9, 2004
study abroad

mankind said:
What program are you looking at? We were looking at CIEE
I went to www.spanishabroad.com and found out about the school called Hispaniola Academia Caribe de Lenguas. I like that it is in the Colonial Zone of Santo Domingo and the school is affiliated with the one I attended in Salamanca. It has a good reputation. I am sure the CIEE is good, too. I believe it was mentioned in one of the guide books I have been looking through. I think all of the schools offer a variety of accommodations, too, and their fees for tuition, etc. seem reasonable. I think your daughter would probably love staying with a family; she will learn faster. I opt for the hotel as I am considerably older (a retired teacher) and need peace and quiet after a busy day!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
RE: Language or study here

The CIEE has a program at the PUCMM in Santiago and it has been running for years, quite successfully. Students are housed with families and seem to have a successful experience here.

The PUCMM has courses of Spanish for Foreigners at all levels.

www.pucmmsti.edu.do

Hope she make it here.

HB

NonDormant

Jan 27, 2004
In Santo Domingo

Try Instituto Cultural Dominico Americano in Santo Domingo. It has been around forever. http://www.dominicoamericano.edu.do/

It is a lot cheaper than Hispaniola.org
Hispaniola is about 1,000 USD for a 10 week semester. The other is 3,000 pesos por trimestre (60 USD). Hispaniola is more flexible if you only want a week or two of instruction. The Institute is very geared for semesters. Both schools are good.

I have a Word document with details if you want.

mankind

Mar 6, 2004
Thanks so much everyone for the information. Does anyone know how the living conditions would be with a host family in the DR?

conor

Feb 6, 2004
Mankind,

I am studying in salamanca spain also and the lang school here has a school in the DR. The name is Don Quijote and it is very nice here. I am thinking of going to studied there also. The school here is nice, but i cant say for the one in DR. I would think they would have somewhat comparable standards

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Question on Universiities in the DR

conor said:
Mankind,

I am studying in salamanca spain also and the lang school here has a school in the DR. The name is Don Quijote and it is very nice here. I am thinking of going to studied there also. The school here is nice, but i cant say for the one in DR. I would think they would have somewhat comparable standards

Everyone I know including all the children in our family were sent to either the US/Spain/Mexico to study, my friends in the DR all send their children to Spain, they seem to think this is the best they can do for their children.. Just curious why you'd want to transfer from Spain to the DR.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Let me know any specific questions you have I went through the program and have met recent participants in the program.